1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggio is 4 away, Alltime Righthanded Doubles Leader:WHERE IS THE DAMN ESPN HEADLINE?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Jun 25, 2007.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

three thousand hits, although a great milestone, it's not like he's breaking a record. he'll get some love THE DAY he breaks it.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't remember a ton of attention for molitor getting to 3,000.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You would think that Houston sports fans would be used to not getting as much attention by now. Damn, get over it. I'm sure if Biggio was a reclusive ******* that was linked to a major steroid distribution ring, he would be on ESPN every day.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

It would be a big deal if he broke the all time record, not the righty record.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

you know what's almost AS annoying as the houston bias? people b****ing about the houston bias at every little turn.

look, it's a tremendous milestone in the history of baseball and when he gets it, biggio will spend a few hours in the spotlight. but to think a guy being 4 hits away from 3,000 is somehow even a remorely significant national sports story is silly. i mean, frank thomas is one HR away from 500 - he'd join a group more exclusive than biggio's - but do any of us care? no. it's frank thomas.

if he gets to 3,000 and is then relegated to second banana status, then you'll have something to b**** about...

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Like Barkley?

Like Palmeiro?

Like Tiki Barber?

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

There are 6 less members in the 500+ club and that number will go down when Thomas, A-ROD,Thome, Man-Ram and Sheffield all go in in the next couple years.

I really don't think it's because he is from houston. I think it has more to do with Biggio himself. He isn't loud and his stats are never on sportscenter. He just kinda floats under MLB's radar.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The point that you didn't address is that Frank Thomas is about to join the 500 Homer club, which is just as significant at worst, and he's only 1 away now.. and he's not getting attention either.

Like someone else said, it's not a record. Both of these guys will get attention when they hit their milestone. Both are getting mentioned daily on Sportscenter/Baseball Tonight as they approach it. That's more than enough..

Agree with Ric, not a fan of people complaining about attention/respect for our teams. It seems to be the "in" thing, which has made it an overplayed card for the last...6 or 7 years at least?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This kind of drives me crazy. This idea that ESPN shows Red Sox/Yankees because they don't care about anything else. Ridiculous. They show Red Sox/Yankees because that's what generates ratings and web hits, etc and that is what gets them money from their advertisement partners.

Biggio will get his due when he reaches 3,000 hits and they'll talk about this great season he's having (oops) and all that jazz and debate whether he is a Hall of Famer like they do for most of these guys. Fact is though, he plays on a bad team that is in a city that doesn't generate the kind of interest for it's sports teams that other cities do and he's reaching a personal milestone, not breaking a record. If he played for Chicago it would be a bigger deal. Very few people outside of Houston care about the Astros.

Edit: Also, Palmeiro got a lot of attention because of the finger wave at Congress. That put him into the national spotlight.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Amen.

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't see why that's a debate. It's all the same.. I mean ESPN "doesn't care" about anything but the Red Sox & Yankees (essentially).. the reason being that their cares are driven by ratings.

Anyway, I don't think it'd be much bigger if it was Chicago. I think Biggio (at end of season) will get the same coverage Ryne Sandberg got..

And think about the *ridiculous* coverage Cal Ripken got..or is that attributed to East Coast even though Baltimore isn't really a big market?

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Baltimore is a big market. In the 90's they were at least. They drew a lot of fans (I think tops in the majors for years) and had a rabid fan base. They are only mediocre now because they have a terrible owner who has run them into the ground.

Anyway, my point was that people complain like ESPN chooses to slight the Astros because they dislike Houston or don't respect them or something. The guys on BBTN who have played all love Biggio I'm sure. Problem is that if they spend time talking about the Astros too much, people are going to change the channel. That's reality. No reason to feel slighted by it.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BTW - why isn't this being trumpeted harder by the Astros? Uncle Drayton should have his PR wonks screaming this to ESPN, screaming this all the newspaper scribes - and to hometown Houston at the decibel level of a tabloid headline.

Because Bonds' story is a made-for-tab while Bigg's is made-for-fab!

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It is because he is more than 100 doubles behind Tris Speaker and more than 1000 hits behind Pete Rose. Milestones don't usually get that much juice in the media (as previously mentioned, Frank Thomas and 500 home runs). The only one I hear very often is 300 wins. Nobody cares that he bats right handed, the leader board doesn't differentiate.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you don't define a market by attendance. market figures play far more into media dollars than anything else. whether the team is good does not affect market size. the yankees can suck or be great...they still play in a market that dwarfs most of the league, even after the split with the mets. until there's some real revenue sharing regarding media dollars, that will continue to be the huge gap that's unbridged.

baltimore was not a big market. it's still not. but cal ripken's value was he was the feel-good story the league so needed after the strike.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What's funny to me is that Derek Jeter has gotten more press about getting to 4,000 hits than Biggio has gotten for 3,000 hits on ESPN.

Afterall, Jeter is only 1,750 hits away from 4,000. :p

After seeing what happened with Griffey, the media should quit proclaiming things that are years away.

17. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

but jeter is the best shortstop EVER :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

biggio should get some love for doing with one team. something you may never see again.

19. Major

Major Member

Until Derek Jeter in about 4 years, at least :)

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

El Caballo is one homerun away from tying Ben Oglivie's record for the most ever by a Panamanian. Where is the ESPN special on that?

Racist network.