1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

biggest what-if players in history if not for injuries

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rm365, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Gale Sayers

2. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

Um, Vince Carter.

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

VC is still one of the best guards in the league. His injury may have stopped him from leapfrogging 7 foot French guys and dunking on them, but he is still an all-star caliber player, and will be for some time, me thinks.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Stephon Marbury. The sky was the limit when he was in Minny. He was my favorite PG at the time. Then his ego got in the way. Although he's still talented as hell, no way he's going to the HOF. What a waste.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Grant Hill!I mean he was dominant in Detroit.And then his ankle somehow seperated and damn!
    Vince Carter
    Tracy McGrady
    Len Bias (DRUGS)
    Jim Jackson
    Dražen Petrović (car accident)

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Verdict is out on Marbury....

I think really without his ego...he could've been the best PG in the league over the last 7 or 8 years. His game was similar to the likes of Tim Hardaway and Kevin Johnson, but as good as those players are they could never carry team only at that even best players in the league or in history can't carry a team by themselves.

I think if he could've stayed ground and been on a team in Minnesota or S.A., he would probably one of most highly prized players in league, playing along side Kevin Garnett and few others could ve made possible championship run.

I don't think it's too late in his career to help a team get to the next level...he still has great skill and scoring ability...he could definitely help good team or decent team that can't quite get to the next level. But it would only work on a team that has other strong personalities as far as players in coaches.

He could do ok on a team like the Heat, because D_Wade, Shaq, and Riley that would keep him in check...he couldn't come in with any B.S. or demanding the ball.

He would also work in the LaLa land, as long as he doesn't butt heads Kobe. Then he would make formidable 2nd or 3rd scorer.

He could be ago S.A. ... i think their system is so good that he wouldn't have to contribute much, but he would have to be role player yet again.

Same with Dallas or even a team like the Pistons or Cavs....he could them tremendously as role player and off the bench scorer, because that's what he does. He doesn't need alot of help beating players off the dribble, but he wouldn't not be able to take 20+ shots every night. His average would fall to around 10 ppg - 15 ppg. But at the same time, that contribution could help top-tier team or good team to NBA championship, which would look great on his resume. With a 18 ppg - 20 ppg, 8 ast, and few steals with 1 or 2x NBA champ. He would definitely be hof consideration and would probably get in.

It is all up to him.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Here's weird choice: Dennis Rodman...w/o on/off the court trouble how do you all see career being different...even though still think he is one of the greatest PFs of all time.

Charles Smith: Clippers, Knicks, and Spurs

Marcus Camby

Jayson Williams: NJ Nets

Brian Grant

Lamar Odom

Michael Dickerson

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think after 3 pages most of the notable names were mentioned.

i'll just add my all time pre-injury team:

sampson
    manning
    hill
    king
    penny

9. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Ryan Bowen

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What if Billy Paultz had been injured early in his career? What could have been for the NBA without the Whopper lumbering up and down the court from 1970-1985?