1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest Rockets Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Dec 23, 2005.

?

Biggest Rockets Bust?

1. Eddie Griffin

185 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. Scottie Pippen

123 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Brent Price

27 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Maurice Taylor

16 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Stromile Swift

73 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Eddie Griffin
    Scottie Pippen
    Brent Price
    Maurice Taylor
    Stromile Swift

In making your selection, consider all factors, including performance, size of contract, off-court problems, and value given or received for the player through trade (if any). I’m going with Eddie, because we gave up 3 first round picks for him, one of which would’ve been Richard Jefferson or Troy Murphy, and we got nothing for him in return.

I rank them like this:

Eddie Griffin
    Scottie Pippen
    Brent Price
    Maurice Taylor
    Stromile Swift

Swift gets the benefit of the doubt given that he hasn’t even been here ½ a season, but he could certainly overtake Mo in time.

I haven’t included any non-lotto draft picks like Bryce Drew and Boki Nachbar in making my list, as those are often a #$%*-shoot.

2. RareAir

RareAir Member

Swift is climbing that list very fast.

3. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Brent Price.. that guy was a walking torn ACL..

4. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

In terms of my personal expectations, I'd pick Scottie Quitten, but based on the criteria you mentioned, Furious Jam , I'd go with Eddie. I don't even think Swift belongs on the list, because I didn't buy into all the hype surrounding him to begin with. He was an under-achieving, atheletic-but-not-much-else player with very limited b-ball knowledge: we got exactly what we traded for.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

amazznig how many people voted for stromile swift

im sorry but there are many other busts

1. dan langhi
    2. sorry to say it, but yes collier
    3. price
    4. shandon anderson
    5. charlie ward (starting point gaurd my ass)
    6. as mentioned taylor and pippen (even tho they have given legit numbers, so is swift)
    7. cato (even tho he did redeem himself as a backup, swift is a better backup than cato ever was)

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pippen may have been a heartless bum in his brief stint as a Rocket but he at least put up good numbers.

14.5 PPG
    6.5 RPG
    5.9 APG

Those aren't bad numbers for a team that featured three superstars.

......on that note, this will be the only time you will ever see me defend Scottie Pippen, in any way.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Quitten, no matter how you slice it. Eddie comes in second.

8. FadeAway_Dreams

I vote for Eddie not because of what happened with him but because of what we gave up to get him. We should have kept Richard Jefferson instead. Seeing the way he plays now is painful to watch knowing he could have been on the Rockets.

9. waelhakmeh

waelhakmeh Member

pippen was an unappreciative cancer when he came here. i'm surprised he didn't receive every vote.

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

EG is a bigger bust than Stro by far because he was a high draft pick we tolerated for several years. Hopefully Stro will be outta here next summer if he doesn't straighten up.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You guys are so trapped in the 2ks. It's not even funny.

Aside from the infamous Turkcan/Drew over R. Lewis debacle of 98 - Wherefore art the Steve Harrises, Dave Jamersons, Derrick Cheviouses (actually, using proper francais grammar it would be "chevioux") and John Turners of yesteryear? You guys don't know the meaning of the word bust unless you lived through those episodes.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I remember those guys very well, but the expectations weren't that great. None of them were even top 15 picks. EG was supposed the be the "best player in the draft" according to Les. And none of those 3 compare with the signings of Pippen, MoTay or Brent Price.

13. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Yeah.. I remember that "band-aid" guy.. he was such a disappointment.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Eddie Griffen was supposed to provide offside defense, a jumpshot from outside, and athleticism. He did that for the time he ws here... he was supposed to develop further on, but again, we never got that chance.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

It took TMAc and JVG a while to work things out. Swift may come around yet.

16. SamFisher

At least Taylor had one good season. Price was worthless, but he only made 2m a year (of course he inexplicably received a 7 year deal :confused: ) Anyway, I never had high expectations of Price even though the Rockets evidently did. But anyway, in the parade of inept Rockets power forwards, I doubt that any can match the mediocrity of the career statline of Mr. Turner.

http://www.clutchfans.net/playerinfo.cfm?PlayerID=170

EDIT: Actually, sorry erase that. Former PF Lee Johnson, the first round pick in 1979 (17th overall) out of b-ball powerhouse East Texas St, managed to put up 17 points in 10 career games in the NBA.

http://www.clutchfans.net/playerinfo.cfm?PlayerID=86

#16 SamFisher, Dec 24, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Of the choices in the poll, I had to go with Pippen. $17 million for one year of that whiney b**** plus he got traded for such luminaries as Stacey Augman, Kelvin Cato, and Walt Williams. Dan Langhi hurt because we should have had Najera instead, and we traded another second round pick that we could have thrown away on that other bust, T-Mo, but since we didn't have it, we had to trade a first round pick for him to appease Fancy. For some of you old schoolers, how about the players that threw their careers away for coke?

#17 StupidMoniker, Dec 24, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  18. SamFisher

I once said that John Lucas should be considered a bust and was roundly jumped on. Compared to many, Lucas had a successful NBA career, but it didn't really compare with his awe-inspiring college career. He was a legend at Maryland and supposed to be a more athletic Bob Cousy, and while he had some good years he never really lived up to that label and then snorted the rest away.

19. BullFan

BullFan Member

Steve Francis

20. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Rod Strickland anyone? Find me worse stats than this anywhere.

12.3 mins/gm
    21% fg%
    1 to
    2.4 ast
    1.8 pts