1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest Rivalry in the NBA (as of today)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Sensei, Nov 12, 2003.

1. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Either teams or players, which pair would be considered the biggest NBA rivalry as of today?

Shaq vs Yao Ming - Last year's first meeting was a classic battle with an exciting first 2 minutes (in which Yao went crazy on Shaq) not to mention the thrilling ending. Two capable big men havn't squared off with this much attention since the end of the Hakeem era, IMO. With Shaq stating that he wishes to play for 10 more years, this rivalry will surely carry on into the playoffs in the near future.

Lakers vs Kings - The only two teams, in my opionion, who have publicy displayed their hatred for each other are the Lakers and Kings. Both teams have completely over-hauled their teams with the sole intent on defeating the other. Lakers last year had a weak bench, whereas Kings have added an O'neal nemesis from the East: Brad Miller. He's not exactly your premier center, but Miller adds strength in the inside, next to Webber and Vlade (another Shaq nemesis).

Lebron James vs Carmelo Anthony - This one, I'm not so sure about, but the media sure seems to think so. Lebron is a franchise type player. Carmelo is a great scorer and a proven winner. At the most, I could see it become a Miller/Jordan type rivalry, but its nothing that will surpass the perennial battles of Bird and Magic.

After our game vs Dallas and Phoenix, I will assess the need to add the Rockets' rivalries with the Mavs and Suns. Each has their own reasons to be added to this list, but for now I'll leave it at that. Anyone miss the Heat-Knicks rivalry?

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I think it's no doubt Lakers - Kings right now. I've always enjoyed Miami - NY, but since they both suck, who cares . . .

I think SA and Houston could make a great rivalry again . . .

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Van Gundy vs Van Gundy. We haven't had that much press all year!

4. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

LA vs SA is the bigger rivalry now, imo.

Until Sac beats LA, it's a one-way rivalry.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good thread idea.

I would still go with LA-Sacto, although I imagine LA-Dallas is going to heat up seriously this year.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

LA Dallas?

How did you come up with that?

Dallas can't beat LA

7. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

The only *true* rivalry seems to be Sac/Lakers. But I'd love to see the Rockets rise to a level to rival their Texan brothers!

8. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

I think Dirk, Yao, and Duncan are all too classy to call out a player from another team, thus the lack of rivalry within the Texas team. I know SF was talking smack about Don Nelson, but other than that, the trio will be nothing more than a friendly high-way rivalry.

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Rockets vs. Jazz

Rockets vs. Celtics (back in the day)

Rockets vs. Knicks

Rockets vs. Sonics

Rockets vs. (insert team here)

10. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

There isn't any rivalry big enough.

11. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Obviously biased, being a Spurs fan, but SA - LA is it right now.

Divided up every championship since Jordan stopped winning 'em; 2-2 in playoff series; top two players in the league (arguably); big market - small market; Hollywod - Blue Collar; only two active coaches to win championships; only thing missing is the trash talking - but Spurs don't do it (another difference).

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Rox vs. Suns <--- im still ticked off that they took our playoff spot last season :mad:

13. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Cali v. TEXAS

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Yeah, I really miss those 82-76 games full of clanking jumpers, tons of fouls, and JVG going rabid chihuahua on Zo's leg...

15. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Sadly, unlike the sport of baseball, the NBA has no permanent rivalries. But that's going to come in time and also the league needs to stop expanding. The NBA only has one true rivalry and that is the Lakers and Celtics.

From a recent standpoint, some rivalries of late are:

- Lakers and Kings
    - New Jersey and Boston ( after the Mrs. Kidd thing )

I hope that Indiana and Detroit will some day develop something because of their coaching situation. I also hope that L.A. and Houston will develop something with the Shaq/Yao thing. Although at this point, Shaq is clearly better then Yao. It'll be a few years before Yao can average 25 ppg+ like everyone believes he will, but right now, Yao's not ready to be the man.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Shaq and Ming is not a rivalry.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's what makes it intriguing.

Plus, What other group of 2 teams can put 9 guys who have made the all star team in the last year on the floor at the same time?

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I thought Milwaukee vs Toronto a few years ago was going to be a budding rivalry.

Too bad they both suck now.

How about Charlotte vs New Orleans?

19. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

At clutchcity: Rox - Suns, period.

20. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Yeah, the Rockets and the Suns are good potential one. I don't like that punk Marbury.