1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest liars.... The Salesperson or the customer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tomstro, Aug 9, 2019.

1. BleedsRocketRed

My honest ignorant answer? I would say sales people.

Why? Because you NEED me (or anyone) to purchase what you are selling, especially if your job is performance based. I, the consumer do not need to buy it from you. I may have options elsewhere, with another person, company, product...etc. My paycheck and job does not depend on me buying something. Yours however, does. If your sales numbers are weak, its its the end of the month, quarter, year, whatever and your job is on the line, or Christmas is coming around the corner you're telling me you're going to be 100% honest in order to make a sale?

I don't believe it one bit. Your job is to sell and take my money.

Do customers lie? Yeah they do. Maybe they're just thinking of a way to get out of the situation, maybe they didn't find it cheaper somewhere else, maybe they really do "need" that item and not just impulsively want it. Who knows.

When it comes to money, nobody is 100% truthful and to say you are is well... a lie. You may think your white lie isn't a lie, but it is.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

As was said several times, I am no longer a salesman. So reading comprehension would serve you well. At the very least, you wouldn’t make unnecessary posts like this one.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

In my experience, I'd say salesmen lie more. The worst ones I've seen are usually UH grads. But if they have UT gear, you can tell they are a true Texan and would treat you right.

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I've lied and been lied to..............its the game

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You wanna be right and out of a job?

Seriously though, I've never lied to a salesperson while in serious negotiations. I negotiate with facts and my honest feeling towards a product. I'm not going to ask you to sell me something I know for a FACT you haven't sold for close to or the price I'm asking for. The fact that a salesman will pretend that it's impossible is a slap in my face and that's when you run into problems.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Customers for sure.......I'm glad I'm no longer in sales.

Tomstro likes this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

So you think every salesperson has the ability to do what you’re asking them to?

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Well now you’re in fantasy land lol!!

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No but they don’t have to be manipulative

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

True.

My people cannot give discounts that aren’t already presented to the customer. So, many customers feel that the salesman is lying if they can’t just give them a lower price. In most cases where a salesman can give extra discounts so that a customer will buy, it does come out of the salesman’s commission. Customers need to understand that more than they do. I realize it’s the customers right to not give a **** about the salesman giving his/her time away for free. I also realize that people like that are just one type of douchebag in a world of many. It’s like the piece of **** that won’t tip a waiter or delivery guy. Assholes everywhere and of every color and nationality and they all have to shop and eat like the rest of us.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I just bought a vehicle and sales people basically make up crap as they go along. Lol

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

You come to this conclusion after one transaction?

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Its funny. 100% of people on here that think salesman are bigger liars than customers, are talking about car salesmen.

15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

donkeypunch likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In my four decades of experience, bar none, time share salesman knowingly lie through their teeth more so than any other group and their compatriots and supervisors generally have their back.

Tomstro likes this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I’ve heard this before.

18. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

No, I literally pointed out two examples (plumber and AC) where the sales guys tried to swindle me. I think that "sales" is a very wide group of people and most of the time you're being "sold" without even knowing it. IE - mechanic telling you that you need a new air filter or it'll effect engine performance, no time to wait, blah blah blah. Women get sold some BS a lot.

Heck - even in the corporate world, the recruiting agents are sales people. My last job they sold me hard on, and it ended up being crap. I had a bad feeling about it, but they sold it. Learned me lesson.

CCity Zero and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I worked in sales for Dell throughout college. Sales people sell what makes them the most money.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It wouldn't be that way, but sales people are often too pushy. Too many just can't take no for an answer.

To answer your question, customers lie more frequently, because they can't really be held accountable for it. If they lie to hurt the person, then they suck for it. If they lie to get out of speaking or to negotiate a better deal, I don't think it is really a problem. I'd love if we didn't haggle and the salesman were like Hank Hill and handed me the information so I could just make an informed decision. The #1 problem with salespeople is pressure. My most recent car purchase I was so happy with my saleswoman because she didn't try to keep me there, she didn't hound me on the phone. And she'll be the first person I contact when looking for another car (assuming I don't buy a Tesla).

Tomstro likes this.