1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest liars.... The Salesperson or the customer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tomstro, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Oh customers can **** you up

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I think your response is unnecessary and immature. You brought nothing but insults. So, you can probably gfy too.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What is a gfy mr unbiased mature salesmen sir?

4. CrazyJoeDavola

You'll never make it in sales talking to customers like that. No wonder you suck at sales.

5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Still talking about things you know nothing about. Yes if you were my customer(if i still was a salesman) I would tell you to gfy. I would feel great about it too. Also, I was a good salesman.

#105 Tomstro, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It means GFY

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ohh your telling me to go f*ck my self. Had to look it up.

How lovely, now I know why you’re in sales.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why? Are you my customer?

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Salespeople work for me. I was promoted a while back from a direct sales position.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

11. SuraGotMadHops

As Larry David accurately pointed out, the customer is NOT always right. The customer is usually a moron and an a**hole.

CCity Zero and Tomstro like this.
  12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Care to elaborate?

I think it depends on the industry and what is being sold. Car sales is probably the number one thing people think about. However, there are times when a sale is happening and you don't even know it.

For example, i had a clogged tub and had John Moore come out. Dude told me there was no way the clog would come out and I'd need to do around 8K in repairs. I didn't know he'd get a cut of this. I didn't sign up for it (obviously) and he got mad. Literally walked out without even shaking my hand. That guy was straight up lying.

Had similar issues with AC repair guys.

I'm sure if you're doing some sort of sales at a corporate level, a customer could mess things up (use you for a bidding war, waste your time, etc.) but with the mass number of transactions for sales people directly to customer (think anything from plumbers, fence builders to the guy selling you your food at mcdonalds) I would think the vast majority of the time a customer lies, its "no big deal" but when a sales man lies (especially on those big transactions for individuals) it could cost the customer thousands.

13. biff17

biff17 Member

My point exactly.

14. Pete the Cheat

in a corporate environment most of the salesman I have dealt with aren't very bright and are quite lazy. they are certainly good talkers, but general do nothings with a that's someone else's job attitude. reading this thread seems in line with that sentiment.

15. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I think the OP is lying about what this topic is really about. Probably trying to sell something here.

16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

He's certainly trying to sell himself as a successful salesman.

BleedsRocketRed and biff17 like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Snowflakes.

DD

18. Hardy Toll Road

Salespeople are scum
    Customers are scum

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So I do a ton of work on the side (well for my property not for money since I'm not officially licensed but have been working on just about everything for 25 years).... And sometimes my wife wants me to get an opinion to see if it's worth my time... She always tells me to play dumb.... Anyway we had a hot water leak in the foundation, I had one quote for like $5000-6000 for sleeving the pipe (less volume etc, I don't like that as a fix depending where the leak is in the line is and it'll probably take these guys 2 hours tops) - huge rip off etc by them so they want to up it to 8k-9k to do the correct fix, I'm like gtfo (well nicely but end discussion).... So she tells me to get one more, they at least bring someone out and honestly were going to do the work right for $3k but... I just couldn't do it, it wasn't enough to meet detuctible, I told them price was right and I'll try to send them business but had to stop playing dumb. Told the guy, "look I've t/s everything and know it's on the hot side per t/s and infrared temperature gun I know exactly where it's at and show him... I also plan on keeping volume and not sleeving just like you and explained the details of my version of the fix", he's like "yeah, that's what our crew would do", loved it. I've sent business to them because at least they weren't bullshitting me, I mean if I was the avg homeowner I always like to see how honest they are, so even if I do it myself I can at least send them business. On the flipside I've had other guys tell me I'm wrong and then I use the building code for residential so they stop the bs. Anyway did the work for like $150 total (it was a tough job though doing it basically solo) so $3k was definitely correct.

Fortunately I was able help him out with advice on solid stair treads for his house and gave recommendations for good prices and hopefully save him some money, in addition to sending customers their way. And he wasn't lying to me or trying to hard close which I prefer. Honestly I told him if we Could run it up more for the deductible I'd have them doing the work but unfortunately couldn't here, and I also liked that since they weren't attempting trash work.

I do everything though... Ac/electrical/plumbing/car work (full on engine /transmission work...),computers hw/sw, even small electronics/phones etc etc.. It's not my career but I grew up around most of that and while I hated it at the time it's become invaluable. I feel sorry sometimes for the avg car owner/home owner who gets taken to the bank on trash work. It sucks, so I try to offer details/suggest people I've spoken with that weren't bsing me before they knew I knew how to do the work.

Anyway glad you caught the bs and also definitely agree on ac guys. I can do full on car AC work but need a few more tools and then I can do home ac as well... With the new regulations it's been great since I can buy my own freon w/o a license (obviously it's not named that any longer and a dif name/chemical for homes/cars) but it's a wonderful feeling when you fix a car ac system, including evacing the system for $55.

#119 CCity Zero, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I've seen it all, unfortunately in my experience the good sales people are the talkers and then while they make the sales piss the customer off (this is not always the case but more times than not). And then the honest guys who know too much will have the customer go somewhere else because they sometimes shop with their wallet for the customer, and since they suck at sales... They basically don't have a wallet. It's not bad to suck at sales, it's just not for everyone.

I also don't think all sales talkers are dumb or lying, some can be great, know the product and close the deals but they usually move up/on quickly unless they like it or make more there vs some other profession