1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest joke of an NBA Franchise

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Jul 25, 2009.

?

Worst NBA Franchise going ...

1. Clippers

262 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. Grizzlies

168 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Timberwolves

25 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Bobcats

43 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. Other

9 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Place your vote, make your case.

2. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

well last year for me was the kings, but overall like throughout the years, the grizzzzzzzzzzlies rawr!

3. jlwee

jlwee Member

CLippers - The owner is cheap and they have the worst scouting for picks in the entire NBA. But they do have decent seasons not so long ago!

Grizzlies - Never won a playoff series and the GM was brain dead to trade Gasol for Kwame to your conference rival. Worst trade in the league history.

Wolves - Get penalized by NBA for cheating. From there the franchise sucks. But again they also have one good season where trio of KG/Cassell/Sprewell almost win it all.

Bobcats - Never made it to playoffs in its young history. Terrible draftees like May and Morrison.

Bobcats is up there but they are young franchise having said that i will vote for Grizzlies by giving Kobe his 4th ring without getting any thing back!

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I voted for the Bobcats because he has ruined what was a great market. When the hornets were there and winning even with cheap shinn, the team had alot of support, but now with cheap johnson, the team cant win. I will say i think they might challenge for a playoff spot next year.

The clippers are easy because they have a great arena, a great surrounding population, but they have made some bad decisions. I will say, they have never been accused of overpaying someone. What they shouldve done when west wanted to test the market is give him full control and see what happens. The clippers have a lot of talent right now and when they made the playoff run a few yrs back, it seemed like they were on their way, but now, even with griffin, it seems like they might go backwards again.

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

LA already has the Lakers

and then

you compare them to the Clippers....

yeah....

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Clippers are just incompetent. However, I voted for Grizzlies because that franchise is purely a business aspect of the owner. They'll gladly lose as long as they're still profiting. So while the Clippers try but suck, Grizzlies don't even try.

7. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

They've never won a playoff game, period.

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Clippers. They get talented players but still have nothing to show.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Clippers cuz you can't ever EVER depend on them. Grizzlies are biggest joke RIGHT NOW.

*Clippers - My choice. Its not even close. They had A decent season 3 years ago. The previous decent season was almost 15 years prior to that. And they have the #1 pick this year. I think you could swap out any other team's management with theirs and the Clippers would get better and the other team worse.

Grizzlies - Simple put, they make the biggest case for league contraction. Have to consider the minuscule revenue they have to work with, not entirely their fault. But that just supports contraction again.

Timberwolves - They had some good years with Garnett. Some bad moves too in recent like Randy Foye over Brandon Roy. Garnett trade was okay, just that Garnett went to a far better team. But they're just not a good free agent destination. New general manager already looking more competent than the last. Picking Rubio and Flynn showed some savvy on their part. They can gain players from Rubio. Previous GM had picks STRIPPED from them

Bobcats - They've underachieved a little. Still too young a franchise.

Other:
    New York freaking Knicks - They can challenge for #1 actually.
    Sacramento Kings - They've gone from respected franchise to talks of possible relocation in 5 seasons.

10. ThaShark316_28

Sorry but the Knicks can't be mentioned....the most successful franchise in the NBA went through 17 of 19 seasons living in piss-poor mediocrity.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

historically it's the Clippers.

they are the stupid stepchild of LA.

However, let's not forget the legendary work Sam Cassell did for making that team a winner. It was his leadership skills that year..

12. Christopher

Christopher Member

Easily the Clippers.

They have everything going for them, yet its like they go out of their way to ruin things.

13. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

take the kings and bring them to laredo. lmao

14. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Choice: Clippers
    Case: Donald Sterling

Runner up: Bobcats
    Case: Michael Jordan was arguably the greatest player of all time.

15. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

People, don't forget the clippers are at least making money.

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

Thats what makes it worse.

They are in a huge market, they get some pretty good players but at the same time some of the worst players ever, they make terrible decisions from players to the front office to the coach.....if they didn't exist we'd have to invent them just to know how terrible a team can really be.

17. HPD

HPD Member

CLIPPERS how many #1's have they had.....? in the past yrs...

18. thething

thething Contributing Member

I went with the Grizzlies. Mayo and Gay are good, but they have only mediocre players elsewhere. All of the teams to choose from have been horrible, but I don't see that much hope for Memphis. They took Thabeet? They traded Lowry for a 1st round pick, and obviously there is the Gasol trade. If they sign Iverson, then they do not know what they are doing.

I was tempted to go with Charlotte, since I don't see any really good young players there, but they haven't sucked for that long yet. It's possible Larry Brown could get these role players in the playoffs next year.

I probably would have gone with the Clippers if they hadn't drafted so well recently. They're filled with bad contracts, but they drafted Thornton, Gordon, and Griffin, and they should all be good players. Getting Camby for nothing was a nice move also.

The Wolves have Al Jefferson and maybe Ricky Rubio in the future. It was dumb to use such a high pick if Flynn would come be a backup, but it won't kill the franchise. They have some good pieces with Jefferson, Love, Flynn, and Rubio.

19. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

In the recent years, the Clips have techinically only had 1 #1 overall. Since they moved to L.A. in 1984, they have had 3 top picks.

2009: Blake Griffin
    1998: Michael Olowokandi
    1988: Danny Manning

If Griffin turns out to be even half of Carlos Boozer, it's hard to agree with your assessment that the Clippers are the worst drafting team, and given that they have had 3 opportunities at the top of the draft, are the worst team period. Those drafts were not exactly get-out-of-jail-free-cards.

My joke of a franchise? Has to be Memphis. The Gasol trade not only handed Kobe and Co. their 4th, it will undoubtedly go down as the low point of the "trade-for-cap-relief" era. They had the one season where they were relevant. They are accruing a nice young menagerie of 'potential', but it remains to be seen if they are competent to translate that into winning, or if they will sit back and keep collecting overlapping talents without addressing real needs ala the Chicago Bulls between Jordan and Rose.

If the Clippers don't put something together this season, I will be shocked. That is the only reason I did not pick them. After this season, the Clippers should be a national park where kids can go see where suck flows from the earth and Canon-clutching minorities pose for awkward pictures.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I voted for the Grizz although, as tinman said, the Clips are historically the worst. The moves they have made the last few years would have made me speechless, were that medically possible.