1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Year--In the Second Half

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Oct 19, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this team could really jell second half of the year. Why? Injuries are slowing practice time and it will take time for players to learn new guys and new guys to learn system--plus zone will increase learning curve for all.

However, if key guys can stay healthy this team could be special.

1- Steve/Mooch
    2- Mobes/Oscar
    3- Rice/Wiz/TMo
    4- KT/EG/DL
    5- Cato/Colly

Yes, we could use another 5 for Wiz, but Jahadi won't be coming and I'm afraid we don't have too many good options (maybe Gatling). Just look at our 1/2/3, I mean they're all studs. If Cato and KT can board, play D, and score a little we have a solid starting 5. Bringing Mooch and EG as next 2 off the bench gives us a lot of energy and skill. The rest can play according to opponent. If MoT can return early this might get even better.

With that said, we can't expect too much early UNLESS some other guys step up big (Cato, KT, EG, etc.). Anyone disagree?

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If we can't expect much in the first half of the year, then we should just start Griffin and get him ready for the second half. None of this project-off-the-bench crap. Griffin should start over Kenny, and get as much experience he can get as quickly as possible. This future superstar will learn nothing sitting on the bloody bench.

Francis-Thiefy
    Mobley-Torres-Jones
    Rice-Williams-Morris
    Griffin-Thomas
    Cato-Nwanko

#2 ZRB, Oct 20, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2001
  3. B

B Contributing Member

On the contrary ZRB, I think Griffin can learn a lot from not starting until later in the season. As long as he gets 20+ minutes off the bench, he can learn a lot, and grow into a starting role. Making Eddie earn the starting position is a great way to challenge him to do well. Most players, push comes to shove, would admit they would rather start than come off the bench. So lets make Eddie hungry for a starting job instead of just handing it over to him. Also, it's a great way to allow KT to improve his skills and maybe for us to decide what to do when Mo Taylor comes back. I hope Eddie grows (literally) into a 5 so we won't have to worry about having 3 average to above average PF and not enough playing time for all of them. Also, I think if Eddie starts he'll be exhausted after 60 games and will have the typical rookie burn out. I honestly don't think he is in good enough shape at this point to start 82 games as a PF in the West. Let him get his feet wet first, and don't throw him in the deep end when he barely knows how to swim. We don't need to put him in a sink or swim situation, so why not let him learn at a pace that will have a higher chance of success?

B

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Whatever. Pace him? Burn out? Tim Duncen never hit the wall, Paul Pierce never hit the wall so what makes you think he will hit the wall. I really want him to play the four since that is the strongest position in our conf. Why wait for Taylor who was average when healthy? Out of all the teams in our conf, Taylor is 2slots from the bottom so why wait for him coming off a severe injury? I hope Griffin can progress to the point were it will be a tough position not to play him over Kenny. Right now Thomas deserves to be the starter, but hopefully after getting his 25-30min per that he can move Kenny to the bench. I think Thomas can be an excellant player off the bench. As far as Taylor goes, well, I don't see what others see in him. Big body yes, but to use that by, he doesn't have a clue. We will see real soon. I don't think Francis would be the player now if he was to sit mehind Bryce Drew just because.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't buy into the "we need time to jell" excuse this year.

They had enough of that early on last year(and the year before that)

They need to win games early so they wont have to play catch-up at the end.

If they are above, or at least close, to .500 by all-star break, I'll be satisfied.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Good post, Shark. I agree with you and B. Considering that the Rockets haven't had their whole team healthy yet for any pre-season games and a tough opening schedule, the first half could be a little rough. I am thinking the same thing about EG. I feel it would be better for him and the Rockets if he's brought along slowly and nurtured.

leebigez: Duncan and Paul Pierce (I think) both played college basketball through their junior years - I know Duncan did. They didn't come out after their Freshman year and they weren't 19 either. You don't believe B about rookies hitting the proverbial wall? Just look at Lamar Odom who is similar in many ways, situation wise - not position wise, to EG.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Crisco-This team has added/changed several main components.

Rice has been added. Cato looks to play significant minutes. KT is starting. Griffin is here. And there are new rules.

I think it may take 20 games or so to get into action. But, the backcourt is the same, and they have shown the ability to carry the team.

ZRB-You're joking about Nwankwo over Collier, right?

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Nike - all true, and I took that into account in my own assessment. The important thing is Francis and Mobes knowing what they are doing, not as much the other guys. KT should know what to do, as he has been here for quite some time, and he'll take the bulk of minutes at pf. Rice just needs to roam and get his open looks.(of course I'm simplyfing, but Rice will figure out his role quickly, I have no worries about him) Center position - we haven't had consistency from the center position for quite some time, so I don't see any reason to be worried about it making or breaking games now.

There will be an adjustment period, yeah, but it isn't as great as it was previosly, imo, and shouldn't cost us games like before. If we start off horribly, I'll be pissed.

9. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Manny,
    I agree with you regarding Griffin. I do not think he will be thrown out on the floor that soon, bc he hasn't even played in a preseason game. Thus, he has not even had real courtime yet.

Another question---If Rice is injured, you think we will see KT @ 3 and EG at 4 ?>

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Appreciate everyone's input. Agree with some and have issues with others...see below.

Nike, Manny & B AGREE!

Cris,

Yes, our starting backcourt returns and should be even better. Yes, KT is looking good and should be ready to start. Yes, Cato looks better. However, adding Rice, EG, Oscar, and TMo will require some time for them to blend...plus we've subtracted Hakeem, Bull, and Shandon. Those changes, coupled with the overall changes to the game (zone def) will increase the time it takes for this team to jell. Rudy has to figure out which combos will work and which one's won't. We're overloaded at the 3, which might mean we'll give Rice all the time he needs to heal before bringing him in.

ZRB,

I wouldn't start EG or give him more than 18-22 mins until he gets his feet wet and confidence tested. Agree with B and Manny. With Mo out, he'll get enough mins and KT has shown he deserves a shot...besides KT can be a helluva rebounder and low post scorer...he may be our biggest surprise early.

lee,

Manny's right...EG is not close to being as physically or mentally mature as Dunc or PP.

I gather everyone is ready for the real thing to start. Actually, I think its great that Rudy is getting a chance to see what he's got on his bench and hopefully some of these nagging injuries will heal in time for him to evaluate his different combos.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Ted,

Now that would be an interesting combo, problem is our backlog at the 3. With Rice, Wiz, DL & TMo already there, I'm not sure Rudy would opt for that...although I think they could be fairly effective. Maybe if he swings DL to 4 that could happen. I don't buy this DL at 2 crap...he'd be more likely to fill in at PF than SG.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I agree again with Shark but I would like to add alot of whether KT gets to play some of the 3 depends on if Rudy decides to play man-to-man for the majority of the time or to use a lot of zone. If he decides to use man-to-man the majority of the time, I think it would be hard for KT to stay with some of the quicker 3's in the West.

As for EG, I think that the 4 will wind up being his most played position, but I think I remember reading somewhere on here, that Rudy may let EG play some at the 5. I really think that he will need to add some bulk to play at the 5 and not get pushed around. He really needs to add some bulk, regardless, of what position they put him.

Overall, one good thing about this year's Rockets team is like shark inferred, there's lots of flexibility for Rudy to employ if something like an injury happens. I don't think I can remember a Rocket team that had so many players that could play other postions.