1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Name Free Agents To Houston Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigkstrong, May 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Space City

getting blatantly screwed by the refs does a lot to a teams confidence and motivation thus affects their game.

tracy mcgrady was not the only person on that 2005 team :)

2. Mr. Space City

tracy has put up nice numbers in the regular season also.

and im not comparing him to shaq because tracy is not shaq and you and i both know that so why try to compare?

3. ray12302

ray12302 Member

see what Houston could offer

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That is EXACTLY what I used when calculating my figures. So, let's take a look at what that website says:

"Larry Bird, except when coming off rookie scale contract (Below the average salary) - 200% of his previous salary"

Scola will have completed three seasons with the Rockets, making him a Larry Bird free agent who is NOT coming off a rookie scale contract (since he was not a first round pick). He also will have made below the average salary. Therefore, his cap hold is equal to 200% of his previous salary. Scola will make $3,383,333. 200% of that amount is $6,766,666. Hence, the $6.7M cap hold figure.

"Larry Bird, following the fourth season of his rookie scale contract (Below the average salary) - 300% of his previous salary"

Lowry will be coming off the fourth season of his rookie contract. He will make below the average salary ($2,034,996). Therefore, his cap hold is equal to 300% of his previous salary. 300% of $2,034,996 is equal to $6,104,988. Hence, the $6.1M cap hold figure.

For crissakes, you yourself posted the materials that prove my point.

If you admittedly don't know the difference between a "qualifying offer" and a "cap hold", then please do not argue with me on this issue.

You're an excellent poster on this BBS. Please don't sully your great reputation by blindly arguing an issue that you don't really understand.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

^^^Actually, it's FAQ #30 from which my quotes above are pulled.

6. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I made a post earlier in the day that got buried in the thread somewhere. But I'll bring it up again: instead of going after big names like Lebron or Wade or Bosh, go after middle tier players, preferably wing players... that we can use Tmac's contract to go after. My example was a guy like Hinrich. At the very least he is Von Wafer's replacement if we end up letting him go. He'd be a decent 6th man, or he could potentially start over Battier. The guy can shoot, drive, has some decent passing skills.

There are other guys out there too that fit that bill. Jason Terry from the Mavs I wanna say has a big contract at like 10 million. Corey Maggette (or really just pick your player on the Warriors) has a contract like that.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I hear Far-vuh-ruh is coming out of retirement :eek:

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Scola does not qualify as a 300% increase because he was not on a rookie scale contract. If he was, then it would be the case, but he's not. He was a 2nd rd pick that was traded to the rox. His cap hold will not be the 6m you suggest.

9. worzel gummidge

Rockets will own Scola's full bird rights but since he was NOT signed to a rookie scale contract and his expiring contract is under the MLE...

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q30
    [​IMG]

$3,375,600 x 200% = $6,751,200

10. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

Not counting him out. Just listening to rumors in the Miami market I used to live in. He may leave or he may stay. I am not a fortune teller. This whole discussion is based on speculation.