1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Name Free Agents To Houston Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigkstrong, May 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Ok, so they are 4 M under the cap, and they have the MLE which is around 6 M. So, the Rockets have 10 M to use. And if Artest has his Bird Rights, which I'm not sure he does, he can be signed without penalty for going over the cap. How about we wait and see what happens this offseason mmkay?

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yao-17.6
    Artest-10m
    Shane-7.3
    Landry-3
    Hayes-2.3
    lowry-2.9
    Brooks-2.0

Rox=45m if they dont pick up dorsey's option. They can offer 13m with max increases, then resign scola at 6m and maybe brooks at 6m after the free agent signing. If they need to move salary, they dont have to pick up hayes option at 2.3m which would give them 15m start. 15m with 15% increases gives u a fat max deal. I personally dont think they should wait. I think they should go get the pieces now with Tracy's deal. Its nothing wrong with being wrong, we all have been wrong before.

3. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I'm not in love with CB4, LOL, I don't really like his game much (I prefer Bargnani to him, I also think in the long-run this guys going to be better than Bosh, he has a higher ceiling, if he reaches it I don't know). I USED to like Bosh when he didn't have the ego he has now, i thought he was a class act, it's what made me a fan of his..... its a misconception that he doesn't like Toronto, he likes it here, he gets ALL the attention, he's probably the biggest star in town (even though Hockey is # 1). When ego's get big though, so does the desire to get attention of winning, so that's what he wants next.....IMHO, he might skip town for that reason....

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

There are a couple of things wrong with your take:

(1) You cannot combine cap room with the MLE. The MLE is available only to teams that are either over the cap or who have less than the MLE worth in cap space and elect to waive their cap space in favor of using the MLE. So, if the Rockets had $4M in cap room, they would likely waive that cap room in favor of getting the (approximately $6M) MLE. That's it.

(2) Yes, the Rockets do have Artest's Bird Rights. However, this only enables them to go over the cap to re-sign him. His salary still fully counts towards the salary cap. When T-Mac's salary comes off the books, Artest's salary will be taking up a good chunk of cap space, along with Yao, Battier, Brooks, Landry (assuming his team option is picked up), and until they are re-signed (that is, IF the Rockets want to keep them), Luis Scola's and Kyle Lowry's cap holds.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. But the facts are the facts. The Rockets CANNOT improve on this core by adding a big money player VIA FREE AGENCY. Trading for one, on the other hand, may be a possibility, depending on how much McGrady's expiring contract is worth (which may not be quite as much as people think).

5. tming

tming Member

Rip Hamilton and Antonio McDyess.

6. DaneB

DaneB Member

The cool thing about having D Wade is that if we did a sign and trade for him, we could have this line-up:

PG- Brooks/Lowry
    SG- Wade/Battier
    SF-Artest/Wafer
    PF-Scola/Landry
    C-Yao/Scola

Can you imagine us running a two guard lineup at you with two explosive guards? If we got Wade, we could kind of just slide guys around and keep the core intact. The question is whether or not Wade would buy into our system and play with a lot of heart. If he did, we would be amazing! :eek:

7. tsunami

tsunami Member

Yao for Gasol.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I have no problem being wrong. I'm just not wrong here.

Your first mistake is that you are not counting Luis Scola's cap hold, which should be about $6.7M. That amount counts against the Rockets' salary cap until Scola is re-signed, at which time his new salary counts against the cap.

Your second mistake is that you are using a one-year "qualifying offer" figure for Kyle Lowry. This assumes that Lowry will sign his qualifying offer. It is doubtful that he will do this. More likely, the Rockets and Lowry will negotiate a long-term deal that starts at a salary above that $2.9M amount. In the meantime, Lowry's cap hold will be somewhere between $6.1M (where I calculated it to be in my thread, based on 300% of his 2009-10 salary) and $8.7M (where DraftExpress calculates it, based on 300% of his qualifying offer). I'm not exactly sure which figure governs, but either way, Lowry's cap hold is substantially higher than the qualifying offer amount, and it is the cap hold that counts until Lowry actually signs a contract. If he can be re-signed for less as soon as free agency begins, then great. But the more likely scenario is that negotiations drag on, all the while having Lowry's cap hold taking up a big chunk of otherwise-available cap space.

Your third mistake is that you don't count at least a portion of Dorsey's salary. While only a minor amount, Dorsey's "team option" for 2010-11 is actually a partially guaranteed year. This was how the Rockets seemingly got two consecutive team option years on Dorsey's four-year deal. Otherwise, it would not have worked under the collective bargaining agreement. So, whatever partial guarantee Dorsey has ($250k? $500k?), that amount will count against the Rockets' salary cap. I'd guess that it's around $500k, since that is what John Lucas III got.

At the end of the day, the Rockets won't come CLOSE to having max money available for free agents. At least not if you want to see Yao, Artest, Battier, Scola, Brooks, Lowry and Landry also in Rockets uniforms.

No disrespect, leebigez, but I'm fairly certain that I'm correct here.

9. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

If we some how knock out the lakers, do you think there is any chance kobe will opt out of his contract. To me it seems realistic because phil has not said whether he would come back or not, and i dont think he would come back if they got bounced out against us because of his teams lack of effort.
    I know kobe has already said he wanted to be traded because they lied to him. Of course they got Pau but they still lied...and if they dont win it this year i dont think they ever will with that current roster

From bryants point of view, its simply if you cant beat em, join em. I think he has a lot of respect of how hard we play. He plays the same way. Just random thoughts.

We wouldnt re-sign artest of course,wafer will go elsewhere because some team will fork over $$, and most likely we would buy out t-mac and give it to kobe and extend it.

Brooks/Lowry
    Kobe/James White
    Battier/Barry
    Scola/Landry
    Yao/Dorsey

Unrealistic but optimistic

10. anon3803

anon3803 Member

NO. I don't want Kobe. I don't care he's one of the top two players in the league right now. After what I've seen of his ego, the risk of him being a cancer to the team, and the massive contract that he will saddle our payroll with, it has to be no.

If T-Mac and Yao are gone and we're desperate for some star power, I can see us maybe picking up Kobe. Remember, Morey goes for the under-rated players, it's always better in the long-run when one of them surprises you rather than disappoints you.

11. leebigez

Where are u getting scola's cap hold of 6m? Ben gordon cap hold wasnt 6m and he made more than scola. Scola is a ufa and the cap hold would be 4m. Lowry has the qualifier of 2.9 for 2010.They dont have to pick up his option. I dont know where ur getting the 300% from either.

12. kwng

kwng Member

I just hope we can get a good PG and a back up center.

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

it's so funny how everyone wants to trade away our key role players. we finally have some success and people want to break up the team??? i even read a post where someone suggested we trade 4 of our players for Steve Nash. in the list (if i can remember correctly) AB, Battier, Hayes, Artest(maybe this was tmac but i do remember Artest being on the list).

Duncan had a chance to get Jason Kidd but he stuck with his 19 yo PG. and yes bosh would be a nice backup for Yao, but do we really want another soft big man? i see raptors fans complaining about him all the time. it's almost worse than the yao haters on here.

if only we could get Roy. dam...

14. leebigez

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q14

Maybe this will help not only you, but all of us.

15. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 Member

If T-Mac is really motivated to come back strong, and wants to remain a Rocket, then he should take less money so that we can resign Wafer and Artest, plus possibly add a mike bibby or somebody

16. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

What? We already have 2 young good point guards. The back up center I can see, also an athletic wing that can create their own shot or torch another team on catch and shoot plays.

17. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

when was the last time Tracy did that? i mean out of 1st rd. :confused:

18. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

You really think ANYBODY is going to offer him a max contract? Somebody offering Redd a max would be no different than offering T-Mac a max. It's not happening. He's not that going to get a max.

Yep that's right. If he's willing to play for a championship team, I'm pretty sure he would consider what the Rockets will give him.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We Two Deep at
    PG - Brooks / Lowry
    PF - Scola/Landry
    SF - Battier/ Artest

One Deep at Center
    C - YAO
    so Back Up Center is a Priority

HOLES
    SG - TMac is a mystery at this point - Wafer/Barry are not strong options either

Rocket River

20. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Are you saying we have a chance at re-signing him or.....What do you think of getting Redd or Joe Johnson in 2010, when we dump Tracy's contract?