1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Name Free Agents To Houston Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigkstrong, May 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, I think I'm going to step aside. No point in repeating oneself over and over again. Let the speculators have their fun fantasies.

2. Seth

Seth Member

I can dispute the fact that with tmac our offense becomes stagnant, that his heatchecks kill any flow and that his teammates don´t feel pasion out from him.

Artest on the other hand leaves all on court, trust his teammates and the flow of the game is much better with him, even if he takes dumb shots, he is more of a team player than tmac.

Not to say tmac would have been 9 of 25 instead of artests 7 of 19.

3. Seth

Seth Member

I guess it´s funny how many fanns go for "T-Mac is better than Artest" evading the fact that the team has no chemistry with T-Mac, he doesn´t play hard and he disrupts any kind of motion offense.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Almost. Re-signing Artest (let alone Wafer) will cause the Rockets' team salary to actually increase somewhat significantly, because the salaries of the rest of the players under contract will all increase (as most player salaries tend to do). For instance, T-Mac will go from getting about $21.1M this past season to getting over $23.2M next season. This holds true across the board. So when T-Mac's deal (and Brian Cook's deal and Brent Barry's deal) expires next summer, the Rockets will likely be no more than about $3-4M under the cap. That's LESS than the MLE.

Guys, seriously, take a look at my earlier thread for a detailed explanation of all of this:

The Myth of the Rockets and 2010 Free Agency

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's under one now. He makes more than Yao does. Redd is going to want less money? What? Why? Because he's not as good as another player who's going to get a max deal? By your logic, Johnson should want less money because he knows he's not as good as Lebron or DWade. If somebody is willing to give Redd a max deal, he'll be willing to take it. Regardless, the point is moot because he's not going to take what we'd be able to pay him.

OK, last post. I'm done in this thread. I'm super serial guys.

6. Seth

Seth Member

That´s why i proposed to trade tmac expiring for Biedrins 10M and Sjax 9M that would save us 4 millions in the cap, plus we are not FORCED to resign artes as SJax is a very similar player. (i like him more actually)
    But i would like ro resign ron no matter, as a way to say thanks.
    We reward players that contribute half seasons, why don´t reward a group of players that has taken us far beyond our imagination.

7. Mr. Space City

mcgrady averaged 5.0 assist per game last year in the regular season and averaged 6.8 assist per game in the playoffs

artest averaged 4.3 in the regular season this year and is averaging 4.1 assist per game in this playoffs

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I appreciate how you explained it to me. I'm no capologist. That makes it obvious that they only way to get anything of value for McGrady is through a trade.
    The most that we can probably get for him is one good player who might be a smaller upgrade over Ron plus a salary dump and additions to fill out the numbers IMO. The big question of what management will do with Yao Ming assuming he comes back and remains healthy needs to be addressed as well.

9. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Agree.

People, we are that (squeezing two fingers together) close to making the CFs...and maybe we will. A true mark of a great team. It's been stated that Tmac & Yao will need to adjust to the role players versus the other way around when they come back next year...and I agree whole heartedly.

Add a healthy and motivated Tmac (he doesn't have to be great, just damn good) and Yao to this team that just kick the fakers back to lala land, damn, we can take anybody out.

Again, WE CAN TAKE ANYBODY O.U.T. OUT!

All we need is a good backup for Yao.

That's it.

Then we're the champions.

:)

(okay, still pretty high from yesterday :D )

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Bimathug, ur post about the cap are wrong period. Now u can go on and on, but the rox can resign ron at a respectible level if they choose and let tracy expire and have a huge amount of cap room.

11. Seth

Seth Member

Theow all the stats you want, while you live in the theory territory i am living on the real world where the rox function much better without your guy.

Both offensively and defensively.

Plus, are you comparing a guy that was unable to beat 3 times a 5th seed against a guy taking a 1st seed to a seventh game.

LOL you must be very mad that the Rox team is working much better with Tmac out of the lineup.

You don´t havee to be an expert in basketball to see that TMac kills any flow, no matter his assists or points.

12. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Dream on, freak!

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Really??? Explain how. Show me the numbers. If I'm wrong, I will readily admit it.

14. Mr. Space City

the results how the rockets are one of the best teams in the league with yao and mcgrady on the court together

people for get that mcgrady was a BIG part of that 22-0 winning streak and with yao/mcgrady we were 33-8

you forget in 2005 when the rocket were championship caliber but we couldn't advance after the shadiness of the league revealed crooked refs in dallas's favor

like i said i am a ROCKETS fans. not a t-mac lover/hater butwith him and yao in our lineup we are proven winners, it just about keeping them healthy

15. Seth

Seth Member

Yeah, keeping them healthy.

I am sold on Yao, as i don´t think Morey would trade him, (we all know why) but Tmac has to be traded for a couple of tough durable players.

If not, we are depending on him being healthy, motivated and you also forget he has yet to buy adelman´s team philosofy.

I am sorry, but those are a lot of If´s for me to support that move.

If we end with this same team plus tmac and yao, i will support it no matter the less, but we have to explore other options in the one case we can trade the player (Tmac).

16. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Theres gotta be some way. Can't you re-work those numbers and squeeze in a guy like Danny Granger.

17. Seth

Seth Member

Nope, we can resign ron, that will put us over the cap for next season and in 2010 we will be a little bit over the cap (if we give him more than 5 millions we will stand at 70 millions), and will depend on how we resign Wafer as well and Scola and Lowry are expiring in 2010.

18. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

You don't know why Ginobili want to leave San Antonio for Houston?? Think Scola!

19. Seth

Seth Member

I am from argentina, so i read a lot about manu here, and manu himself answers and chats with his fans once a month.

He said many times that if he leaves SA is because SA wants him to leave, he wants to finish his career a spur.

20. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Seriously?!? Who's butt are you talking out of? Yours or someone elses?

Name a big free agent Miami has signed in recent years? There isn't one. They traded for Shaq and Marion. Those are the only All-Stars they have acquired in recent years.

Name me a big free agent Orlando has signed in recent years? There is only one; Rashard Lewis. They got him because they offered quite a bit more than anyone else was willing to offer. Other than him Orlando has never really signed a big time free agent other than Grant Hill in 2000.

Name me a big free agent Phoenix has signed recently? They signed Steve Nash in 2004 but other than that haven't signed a big time free agent this decade. They traded for Shaq and drafted Amare, Marion and Joe Johnson. Plus at the time of the signing Nash wasn't considered a top free agent.

So three out of the five teams you listed not only don't sign big time free agents almost ever but they also tend to lose their big time players when they either force a trade or become free agents. Wade isn't likely to sign with Houston but Miami is far from a lock. Most people, including myself, have the Bulls at the top of the list, not Miami.