1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Name Free Agents To Houston Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigkstrong, May 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

No offense but you'd make a horrible GM.

Giving up Landry, Brooks, 3 mil and TWO 1st round picks just for Bosh and Toronto players that are at best serviceable is just nutters. Even if it does ease the cap situation, you'd be giving up the Rockets future for years with this deal.

2. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Really, you think so?

Considering Bosh is 25 and Calderon is 27 and the 2 picks we give up will be late 1st rounders which Les and Morey have already proven that they will buy; early second rounders as well. I don't think our future would be taking a hit like you think.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He does know how to play D. The result of him not playing D in MIA is him not being able to trust his young teammates on D. If he could be on our devensive minded team can you imagine how many steals he would rack up with all his explosiveness + quickness.

He, Lebron, & Kobe all worked on their D in the Olympics and that gave Kobe a 1st team All-Defensive selection which i believe should have went to Lebron (unless he was one also).

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dont know if its just me, but these rockets remind me a lot of the pistons from a few years ago. A bunch of quality players who know their role in the offense.

My issue with bringing in a big name player would be out of fear of what happened to the pistons this season with iverson- who would we have to give up and how would our playing style have to change to accommodate that guy. Another question is about how much money we're under the cap to be making moves like that.

5. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Oh please, that's such BS, the only reason he would want to leave is if he believes the Raptors are not going anywhere... the good thing about him is, he's going to let the mgm team in Toronto know what his plans are, therefore if he does want to leave he's most likely going to get traded.

6. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Don't hold your breath on it. Big Name Free Agents want $$$, Playing time, and they want to be the go 2 guy. We don't have the $$$. Playing time is a lil iffy. Last but not least with McGrady and Yao this big name free agent would just be in the shadows of the two.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You are blinded by your love for him. He won't resign in Toronto. The only reason he would tell Toronto he wants to be traded is so he can get re-upped by his new team for the max, instead of losing one year off his deal.

8. Josephduyho03

Josephduyho03 Member

Haha if Orlando is dumb enough to do that

9. GMNot

GMNot Member

Big names?! And mess up the team chemistry?! ;)

10. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Dammit, if Tracy comes back willing to play and Aaron/Kyle keeps on developing, we don't need nobody. This Rockets team is STACKED. All thanks to our genius GM Daryl Morey. I was shocked to see AB blossoming into Tony Parker right before my very eyes in game 6. :eek:

11. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think people are missing the boat a little on potential free agents in 2010. A guy like Wade would be nice, but I don't think we would get the most out of him. Our team isn't built for a 2 super star system. Adelman thrives coaching in the 1 star, 4 above average role player line-up.

So I think we should go after an above average role player (or 2). My idea was to dump Tmac's contract on Chicago for a Gordon and/or Hinrich. Hinrich can play the 1 and the 2. Just one of these guys would be nice, but if we could get both thats great too. Chicago would ship Hinrich because of his being over paid and essentially a bench player at this point. Gordon might be shipped if we take back a contract (Hinrich).

What do you think about this 8 man rotation:

Brooks
    Lowry
    (Gordon/Hinrich)
    Artest
    Battier
    Scola
    Landry
    Yao

We could afford to send them back a Landry or a Wafer also depending on what they send back.

These are the types of deals we should be looking for.

12. Mr. Space City

brooks/lowry
    mcgrady/wafer
    artest/battier
    scola/landry
    yao/decent backup center with size/hayes

championship caliber :cool:

13. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Dump T-Mac's contract in 2010, get either Michael Redd, Joe Johnson or even Ginobili. I wouldn't mind any of those 3 guys since they would be clear cut upgrades over McGrady anyway.

We can't get D. Wade, but we can get an all-star caliber wing player which were the 3 guys i Just listed.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This thread shows me that not one person on this board understands the salary cap...

15. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

About the money thing

T-Mac's contract is up during that free agency, AND by signing with the Rockets, you open up a big market in China. I know some Rockets players are popular over there and have had jersey's sold and deals signed.

I think signing over here isn't that bad an idea if you want money

16. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Ginobili... really? Lately, this guy's been just as injury prone as McGrady.

Get younger, that should be our goal.

17. Seth

Seth Member

If we can get S-Jax and Biedrins from Golden State for T-Mac, it´s enough to me.

i think Brooks has earned the chance to play a year as a starter and show what he can do, same for Lowry as his backup.

I don´t know what will happen to artest but to think of this...

Brooks/Lowry
    S-Jax/Wafer
    Battier/Artest
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/Biedrins

That should be a very very though team.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You can dump TMAC's contract, but doing so won't help us get any of those players. Redd is just as injured as TMAC. I don't know why Ginobili would leave San Antonio. I already told you you'd have to do a sign and trade to get Johnson and would have to give up at least Artest, either Scola or Landry, and probably a 3rd player as filler to do it.

19. redao

redao Member

It is amazing people still believe TMAC can contribute.

20. Prince

Prince Member

cmon guys.. can't you wait until NBA finals is over?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????