1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Name Free Agents To Houston Now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigkstrong, May 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Bosh seems to be the only guy who's really up for grabs.

2. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

McGrady + Landry + Brooks + 2 1st round picks + 3 mil (max money) to Toronto for Bosh + Calderon + filler

Why I'd do it: we get a more complete power forward who can also spell Yao at backup Center. Bosh also is fairly young and is from Texas. Calderon, although not the speed of Brooks is a little more steady and more consistent shooter and playmaker (almost 9 dimes a game and shooting close to 49%).

Why Toronto would do it. I don't know if there financial situation is that of other teams where they might start cutting there losses, but it is obvious that Toronto isn't going to contend unless they get better players. McGrady likely won't play for them his final year (injuries and he's been there/done that with Toronto already). Toronto does get cap relief from the contract and they get 2 young players who haven't reached their peak yet and are under contract for a few years.

I think this is a lot to give up by the Rockets, especially the way these players are stepping up in the playoffs, but these players are still young and their contracts are bigger, so luxury tax implications may arise.

We'll see what happens this offseason though. Let's beat the Lakers first. :cool:

3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Mcgrady has to be outa here before any of these happen.

4. yeah

yeah Member

Never never never never worst idea ever

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Re-sign Wafer for a couple mil of MLE, then sign Raef Lafrentz to the rest of the MLE to backup Yao and let's go to war. Let McGrady get healthy. Add him to the mix off the bench next season near the end of the season. By that time, we will have well established the offense being initiated by Brooks/Lowry and McGrady can become a designated scorer/finisher/playmaker. Lafrentz has great shooting range. He would be the perfect anti-Yao coming in off the bench and opening up the interior for a different kind of post/cutting game when Yao goes to the bench. He would provide great spacing to pair with Scola. You could let either Landry or Hayes start alongside Yao then float Scola and Raef as the 2nd unit bigs paired with McGrady, Lowry, and Wafer with your starters being Brooks, Battier, Artest, Yao, and either Landry or Hayes. That is two very well balanced high scoring, good defending units......and budgetable with regards to the lux tax.

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

I think Johnson has too much pressure on him, because the second option on that team is the bone-head Josh Smith.

If Johnson goes to a team already with a legit #1 option, I'm sure he would flourish under that system, playing sidekick.

With that said, let's get Johnson to Houston. :)

Imagine:

Brooks
    Johnson
    Artest/Battier
    Scola
    Yao

*Drools*

7. 5SlammaJamma

5SlammaJamma Member

I think the Rockets need to get somebody like a Rasheed Wallace, Steven Hunter, Antonio McDyess, or even a Kwame Brown. Just somebody who can backup Yao and help defend the other team best post man to keep Yao out of foul trouble. I think you keep McGrady because he will be playing for another contract after next year. So he has to play hard. The only free agents I'm concern about signing is Artest and Von Wafer. Don't break this team up now, they are showing alot of heart and fight right now. Maybe it will rub off on McGrady now!! GO ROCKETS!!!!!

8. Asian Sensation

I can so see D. Wade in a Rockets jersey for some reason. I also have a gut feeling that he'd love to play in Houston alongside Yao.

9. juanschwartz

juanschwartz Member

They better send him to a eastern conference team. You know every time Houston trades someone, they explode(see Brad Lidge). Can you imagine trading him to a Western Conf team and then him bouncing the Rox out in round 1?

10. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

To be honest, I am not sure what kind of superstar we really need/want?

I like our young PG combo, no need there;
    I like our PF committee, no need there;
    No need at C;

That leaves wing position. I am not that high on getting some1 there either, here's why:

1: battier/artest starting combo is our identity
    2: artest has proven he's not good at leading the second unit
    3: battier would be effective as a bench player
    4: we need a stable team next season, so yao can somewhat cruise in the regular season

I would rather get a good wing player as the sixth man (Terry or Gordon type) and a true 7 footer to backup yao.

11. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I personally don't like Wade strutting back on defense.... you don't need your leader playing like that. Now, if Wade is willing to get off his high horse after he makes a shot and just play hard for his team, bring him in..

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't want to give up Brooks. His play in our wins has made him into a favorite of mine. Landry too. Though I realize you have to give talent to get talent. It would be like the Barkley trade. It may make sense, but I hated losing Sam and Horry.

13. redao

redao Member

Seriously, can we get Wade if we give him TMAC's money?

Wade is the perfect fit for this team.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I hope DWade is willing to accept MLE money because he won't be here otherwise. :rolleyes:

The ONLY real chance we have of landing a big name free agent is a sign and trade. We won't be able to throw money at anyone of that level, even when McGrady's contract comes of the books.

No, we can't. Well, we could if we traded TMAC for Wade but why would Miami do that? If we let TMAC's contract expire, we'll eihter still be over the cap or only a little under. There won't be nearly enough cap room to sign DWade or any other player demanding a Max contract.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hate to be a buzzkill, but . . .

HTML:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=168495
    However, if the Rockets want to try to get a big time player via trade (and they don't mind breaking up the core of this team if a trade involves any core player other than T-Mac), then it's possible that the Rockets may be an attractive TRADE destination for some impressive players.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

no state income tax and a chance at Chinese endorsement deals should be appealing, but that isn't a new circumstance

17. redao

redao Member

Yao, Artest, Brooks are all inconsistent with the ball in their hands. Neither of them should be No.1 options.

We need a superstar who is comfortable with the ball and make good decisions, ...simply a healthy TMAC with heart, killer instinct and getting the calls....who is Wade.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Dwade will turn out to be a bad contract. Giving injury prone players who throw their body around max contracts is not a great idea.

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

How about an instant offense combo guard off the bench like flip murray? Oh I guess we kinda already have that with Wafer.

Seriously, where do you upgrade this team? I like our guys too much. Maybe a back up center (Gortat?) and a better version of Brian Cook (big guy with a 3 point shot)?

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I love Ron, but a consistent wing scorer would help our offense a lot. Shane doesn't look for his shot and Ron becomes sir-jacks-a-lot way too often for someone that only shoots 40%.