1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BIG Key to containing Shaq if the Spurs are to have a chance

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by emoreland, May 4, 2002.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

When O'Neal comes across the lane and shoots the hook DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT go after the basketball. BOX OUT SHAQ and DO NOT go after the basketball. Shaq doesn't hit that shot as much as he would like to and all too often O'Neals defender goes after the ball; only to have the ball bounce hard off the front of the rim OVER the defender's head where Shaq catches the miss and throws it down for a dunk. If Shaquille were boxed out, he would go over the man's back EVERY time; subsequently getting into foul trouble or maybe even fouling out. He will go over the guy's back and even if they do not call it every time, the fouls will evantually catch up to him.

Im not saying to just let the ball be out there for the taking. I am saying that if you box out, another teammate can get it or it will fall into the hands of the man boxing out Shaquille. It isn't fool proof but it will work a good percent of the time.

KEY to success is giving Shaq ONE and ONE shot alone; no easy put backs or second chances. He might miss once; but the second chance he will just slam it home.

#1 emoreland, May 4, 2002
    Last edited: May 4, 2002
  2. Hydra

Hydra Member

The flaw in your plan is that Shaq will not be called for a foul when he tosses his man into the stands, rips of Tony Parker's head, and then dunks both the ball and the severed head, shattering the backboard.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

That is a flaw.

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Go Lakers! I hate the Spurs!

5. IVFL

IVFL Member

I think the second thing teams need to do is push it up the court against the lakers. Shaq can not lug that 350+ body up and down the court that much, if a team will get out and run on them, the lakers can be beat, but to do that you have to have a lot of 1 and outs buy the lakers

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

IMHO, that's the first thing a team should do.

7. IVFL

IVFL Member

If you are not containing shaq how are you going to get one and outs? its the chicken and the egg though, You have to do one to do the other, thats why the lakers are so hard to beat.

Man I hate the lakers:mad:

8. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I don't believe you, because of your signature... :)

9. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

attack shaq on the offense, go straight at him

on defense, make sure you have a great positioning center.. .and have stand so he doesn't necessarily flop, but if shaq pushes in a little, it would throw the defender to the ground

get shaq in foul trouble and out of the game.

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What crossover said...

You hear all this crap about getting a C who can shoot...

Well, Shaq and LA will be content with trading dunks and layups, to your center shooting jumpers...

The only way you can beat Shaq, is to make sure he's not in the game. This can be done by attacking him, and making him get into foul trouble. Or, have a big man who can run down court, and wear Shaq out.

11. GATER

I said the first thing, not the only thing. You twisted my comment to mean a team can box Shaq or run but not both.

That said, if a team boxes out Shaq superbly and then walks the ball up the floor while another boxes out Shaq average to poorly but pushes constantly (tempo can be pushed even on made shots), my money is on the team pushing tempo.

If you don't think forcing tempo against the Lakers is important consider these facts-

Lakers record when scoring over 100 points > 36 - 8
    Lakers record when opponent scores over 100 pts > 7 - 14

Since the officials seem to allow Shaq a lot of leeway on offense, just boxing him out won't get it done. A successful defense theme against the Lakers must also include:

1) On the ball pressure - eliminate post entry passes where Shaq is in the paint and in shooting motion quickly. Shaq is much less effective when he has to put the ball on the floor or is forced out a little further from his comfort spot.

2) Good rotations - the Lakers are a good 3 pt shooting team and Shaq is a good passer.

3) Transition D - the Lakers are not a fast break team, but how often to you see Shaq "run" up the floor and plant himself in front of the rim? Very often.

#11 GATER, May 5, 2002
    Last edited: May 5, 2002
  12. IVFL

IVFL Member

Slow down there gater, reread what I said, I agree that its important for teams to push it on the lakers, I think I was the one that said that. However, its very hard to get good fastbreak opportunities when the other team makes a basket and you have to take the ball out, how many times do you see a team make a basket and the ball gets tossed to the reff or out of there way, this is what makes it hard for people to fastbreak on a made shot. If you get a one and out that puts the pressure on the defense and not the offense to get up the floor. I mean sure a team can push it but they will be pushing it into a set d, not a d that is trying to get back after a missed shot.

All I am saying is both are equally important, but the only way you can really beat the lakers is by pushing it up the court every time possible. Not get the rebound wait and set up your half cour o. thats never going to work the lakers are too good, Also thats why the spurs wont beat them. Pop is too big of an idiot to coach an nba team.

13. GATER

Well, at least we agree that we dislike the Laker$! :)

14. napster

napster Member

Simply put, there's no way to stop Shaq.

Barring Shawn Kemp jumping on Shaq's toe repeatedly of course.

15. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

There are alot of players that cant be stopped in the nba. The key is containment.

I'm not saying that boxing out Shaq will stop him, I just wanted to point out at you can't give someone like him another chance when he is that close. Shaq is aggressive when he is in the lane and he WILL go over the back and if you box out instead of going for the ball, you might get a couple quick fouls on him.

Did you see Shaq get 2 quick fouls today back to back? He went over the back or just shoved someone. Its a note worth considering.