1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Bob currently under fire: "Cant let the inmates run the prison"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Keep posting in a thread, about the subject of it, in other words? Consider it done friend.

So what you're sayng is - some of his best friends are black! - check.

I'm missing the sum total of racist bone in his body though? Are you new at this?

Nonsense. Some of my favorite people with money are humans. And not just becuase they will pick up the tab on occasion. In fact I have at least SOME money, I seem pretty human.

As stated before though, McNair's problem isn't that he said something that was inherently offensive and OH NOES people are crying about it, as you disingenously suggest here - the problem is that he said something that is of a piece with his prior actions and those of the faction to which he lends aid and comfort. Please see Post #58 , supra, for detail. HIs conduct in the world aligns himself with this sentiment. It's worth calling out, cause you know - it's some bullshit, to put it mildly.

Your post-hoc apologism is just the cherry on top of the systemic sundae, and not very interesting by itself.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

btw... Just wanted to say I'm not hear to defend McNair. He's got billions he can wipe his tears with. I'm just here to laugh at all the outrage.

houstonstime likes this.
  3. The Stig

The Stig Member

Sorry. I'm offended that you can't figure out the difference between to and too. :D

Torch and pitchfork? You must be a KKK member! Bah gawd! Don't you have a rally to attend to? :eek:

ipaman likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that you might be on to something. When you know you are dealing with really stupid people.....like dealing with NFL players, you can't use metaphors or idioms, you have to use the most plain language that you can and where possible you should illustrate your points with drawings in crayon.

That's the lesson McNair should take from this. He didn't bring his crayons, and as such dumb people are upset.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Today’s evolved human beings understand nuance and the power of thier words. Those that don’t will either eventually evolve or die off. Don’t end up on the wrong side of history. This planet isn’t taylor made for just you anymore. Deal with it.

6. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

The phrase, by itself, isn't racist. Intention, mindset, and context are required to determine whether the usage of the phrase was racist. I'd say that the context definitely provides the opportunity for the phrase to be racist so that only leaves intention and mindset.

It is unfortunate because I really don't think McNair is racist (at least ithis is the first thing I've heard that would lend credence to that claim) and I don't think he intended the phrase to be racist. But given the context and the fact that McNair is an old white man, people will be screaming that he is racist and calling for his head.

I feel like if McNair was actually racist, he would have slipped up somewhere, sometime, prior to this and I've never heard of such an occurrence. Never heard of a player or other employee being upset with his treatment of them or anything. I think he absolutely did the right thing giving a (what seems to me to be) genuine apology for his comments to anyone that was offended.

Unfortunately for McNair, I think he is actually falling prey to a different stereotype: That all old white men are racist.

Just to be clear, I completely understand people being upset by the usage of the phrase, but think it might be a tad unfair to label McNair a racist simply because he is an old white man.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

An old white guy, Trump supporter calls his black players inmates in a meeting designed to clarify the league's stance on police brutality on black people and players kneeling during the anthem to highlight the issue. Nothing to see here, surely.

So unfair, yugely unfair. The media treats him so unfair. Believe me.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea... I'm not gonna let this be the first time I care about what Richard Sherman has to say..

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Point blank: racist or not people have the right to be offended by it.

It's not something you say especially with the context of the topic that it was being spoken towards.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^Breitbart snowflake copies and pastes from the comments section on to here.

At least try to be creative or somewhat funny.

Your feigned anger about cultural appropriation of African -Americans by their own is about as enthusiastic as the last time you logged into a Slovakian cam site.

0/5 stars - and frankly even that's a stretch, brah-topolous.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

His son's godfather is Rick Smith.

That is all you need to know about that family's feeling toward another race. That is a special honor for Rick to have, so anyone trying to claim race here should not be on the internet. How many times should Rick have been fired in the last few years? Probably a few times. McNair stuck with him.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

"Some of my best friends are black."

Check.

DreamShook likes this.
  14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

GET OUT.

Go watch that movie, racist white man family used black male and women bodies to extend the lifes of their old folks.

That changed a fact that they are racists?

red5rocket likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I reject this post. This is a misunderstanding. They aren't stupid. These people don't know him well enough to know what he means.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Mr. Space City

worst thing is the texans have been able to weasel out of the kneeling conversation but bob's dumb ass now has brought this **** to the texans front door.

no matter what side you're on, this could have been completelty avoided if bob's senile ass would have just shut the **** up.

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Forcing your whole team to lock arm itself is a sign to tell you how this team stands on this issue.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Agreed. I don't want to take a side, I hated all the media coverage on it when it wasn't our team, now we have to deal with it front and center.. oof.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. That's the stupidity that undercuts the whole narrative. Is there doubt in anyone's mind that if Bob McNair didn't have any surviving children that he would leave everything including the team to Rick Smith? Oh yeah, this guy is a big racist simply because he has different political views than some on a message board.....SMH

20. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

So it’s ‘offensive’ to categorize all NFL players as Criminals and Thugs based off the decisions made by a few but it’s cool to catagorize all law enforcement as racists and liars based off the decisions made by a few.

I completely understand now.