1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Bob currently under fire: "Cant let the inmates run the prison"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

FEBRUARY 09, 2017 4:05 PM

YORK
    David Morgan, father of NFL football player Jadeveon Clowney, faces up to 35 years in prison after pleading guilty Thursday to a 2015 strip club shootout in Rock Hill.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

So if the players don't believe McNair and his explanation with Jerrah as a witness, why should the NFL and the Owners believe the players and their position on the kneeling? The players say it's not about the flags and McNair says it's not about the players. So why can't both sides believe each other. Seems reasonable.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because the report with the original quote said it was about the players.

4. ipaman

so we believe a report from media (who is known to stir **** up btw...) instead of the man himself? i would imagine a man like mcnairs words at least to his own players deserve that trust and benefit of the doubt.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not we. It doesn't matter what we believe. Someone that was in the room provided the details of the conversation. Not just some media member. And another owner has said it looked like the person had the conversation recorded based on the accuracy. McNair's apology and explanation looks like saving face so it only counts so much. It could be looked at him trying to save his investments and most people would lie to do that.

I'm not picking sides on this. I'm not upset or offended but I understand why people are. If he said this like 5 years ago, It would be a non-issue. With the climate of the league and the country, he has gotta to be very careful with his words.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is the most ridiculous of all is that the person speaking on behalf of the Texans would actually say this wasn't a jab at McNair. We are supposed to believe anything they say now? hahahahaha

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

McNair wasn't talking about the players and Clowney wasn't taking a shot at McNair

red5rocket likes this.
  8. TheresTheDagger

You can't make this **** up.

Unbelievable.

9. ipaman

the pussyfication of this country has rendered the old adage we were all taught by our mothers, sticks and stones..., irrelevant. it's embarrassing.

stevel likes this.
  10. Malaya

Malaya Member

Unless we learn to listen to those we disagree with, there will be no progress.

Who arbitrates meaning of symbols (or metaphors)? For protestors, they say kneeling during anthem is protest against racial inequality. For those who oppose it, flag and anthem represent all those who sacrificed to give everyone their liberty.

Can't both sides acknowledge both meanings are important and channel protest to something concrete?

McNair's statement has a context. He said it during a meeting where a lot of heated discussion took place. Assuming that he referred to the players here, Vincent already confronted him about it and McNair acknowledged it was wrong.

Clear that he did not mean players are inmates literally, but that the players (and/or league officials) cannot run the league with disregard of the owners. This is the meaning behind the metaphor.

McNair has already said he did not think of players as inmates. Players need to show that they can move on from a knee jerk 'victim mentality', that they can raise the level of discourse with the owners to give constructive solutions to real problems like falling ratings, CTE, nonguaranteed contracts, etc.

joshuaao and stevel like this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He pled guilty in February for a shooting that occurred in 2015. What does this have to do with anything?

12. Malaya

Malaya Member

What the father did should not be used to reflect on Jadeovon. Two different people.

What he wore on Halloween though ...

13. ipaman

listening to those we disagree with is not the problem. the problem is one side (you know who) won't let others disagree with them without labeling them or accusing them of things are that completely true. nothing wrong with disagreeing and agreeing and then moving on.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't saying that. I was just thinking he was trying to dress up like his father not take a shot at mcnair.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Because Kap was clear on the reasoning for his actions their was no paraphrasing or figure of speeches. The communication was clear with specific intentions and causes.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The meaning behind the metaphor is understood he just shouldn't have used that metaphor in this situation. It's just smarter to speak straight and be totally clear.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah but the same people that say this and say that these players should understand that Bob was using figure of speech and wasn't literally talking about the players are the same people who are offended when they see a group of mexicans speaking spanish and laughing while they stand there looking lost.

18. ipaman

McNair clearly used a very well known metaphor albeit mixing two metaphors in a stumbling manner. But it's a well known metaphor so you can't get any clearer than that. These are not literal words and any logical or reasonable person would know that it is a metaphor. a figure of speech that is not to be taken literally but these morons are taking it literally. So if they do that than anyone else can take Kap literally as kneeling during the national anthem. Works both ways unless one side is illogical and unfair.

So let's take Kap literally too, he kneeled during the anthem, he has said in his own words he does not take pride in this country due to inequality, he supports an known enemy of the United States who was a promoter of inequality, he's discriminates against Law Enforcement, he's supports communist, he supports a known communist terrorists, etc... That is all things he has done literally without shame.

So for Kap we don't take him or his actions literally but for McNair we must?! For Kap, the prhase "that's not what I meant" is accepted but not for McNair. I'm not even white but this very real discrimination and double standards pisses me off.

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Stop lying this the NFL the words inmates and prisons didn't need to be said at all regarding a meeting about Owners and Players meeting a common ground to help this league maximize revenue.

As far as kneeling i can actually understand Kap kneeling with the purpose of bringing light to the injustice of innocent blacks killed but in that he is disrespecting the flag by not respecting it due to a different cause. That's why i do understand people who say he could of done this differently but every individual has a choice to make a choice.

20. ipaman

You "can understand" Kap but not McNair's figure of speech and his explanation. Discriminate much?

I actually believe Kap when he says it's not about the flag itself, or the pig cop socks not about all cops, etc... No problem, I take his word for it. I try to see it from his perspective. BUT I do the same for McNair. I also believe McNair when he says it was stupid figure of speech not aimed at players but at the league office. The difference between me and the SJW witchhunters, butthurt players, and anyone else who got triggered. I don't discriminate against people, I give people second chances, I can be forgiving, I put myself in their shoes, I try to see it from their perspective, etc...

#980 ipaman, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017