1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Anyways, any new news on this expansion? Is it still favored for Cincy and UH at the moment? No BYU? I really wish they would decide something soon.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Undefeated Texas in early October?

I wonder what that's like.

lolololololololololololololololololololol

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Baylor will be undefeated when we play Texas on Oct 29th. They'll also be undefeated on October 30th.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Beating Oklahoma State early?

Setting up a three game losing streak in November? UT/OK/TCU?

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Put money on it.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll put $20 to the tip jar if that happens. I'll take that bet

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

We are not the rarest of Pokemon, but I say we are in the *uncommon* category.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Big 12 to interview 17 schools about expansion, sources say

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Big 27!

Git r dun, Bob.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What a **** show, lulz. Is there really a reason to "interview" Northern Illinois, New Mexico, East Carolina, Tulane, Temple and SMU?

Just get Cincy (I'd prefer Memphis though, but they seem to have a hard on for Cincy) and Houston and let's move on.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chuck Carlton (@ChuckCarltonDMN):

•What I'm hearing on Big 12 expansion: the timetable (subject to change) is mid September to early October.

•Video presentations by schools to Big 12's Bob Bowlsby should run a couple of hours each. Told at least 14 schools. ESPN reported 17 today.

•The 14 have all publicly expressed interest. If there are 17, it could be from a group of San Diego St, UNLV, N. Illinois and Fresno St.

•Told that 12 or 14 both remain options for conference, zero far less likely. Fourteen means more $$$$, bigger footprint, more stability.

•Told 12 is a safe middle ground and means that Big 12 feels reasonably confident about its future and possible new media interest come 2024.

•Not expanding would be a PR disaster after public announcement. Only reasons not to: if huge TV extension in works or lack of consensus.

•Why all the presentations? Told Big 12 feels if school expressed interest, deserves chance to make a case. Could help schools on bubble.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UNLV would be awesome!

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy: Big 12 'clueless,' shouldn't expand

14. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

If I were the Big XII, I'd go for San Diego State. Very good basketball program, decent football program that could be very competitive in the Big XII, great road trip for fans. Morgantown to San Diego is a pretty long haul though.

15. MystikArkitect

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

UNLV is basically the UH of 20 years ago in so many ways. They are exactly the same in a lot of areas, but UNLV still has a great deal of growing up to do, particularly on the football side. If they get the new football stadium to share with the Raiders, and they become a tier one university (they are close), that would go a very long way, but right now they just aren't viable for a bigger conference than what they are already in. I'd say they are at least a few years away.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I feel like the big 12 is making a big ordeal out of this to give a positive spin to whomever "wins" amid all of the bids and presentations. It will highlight all the good things about the expanded teams. It might help with the fact that they aren't adding teams from the power 5.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If Bowlsby wants to sit through days and weeks of video conferences with Northern Illinois and East Carolinas for PR purposes, I say go for it. He really doesn't have much else to do. Pretty sure each school already knows who they're voting for when the time comes.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Was TCU from a P5 conference?

Was the Big East really anything special with WVU left for the Big XII?

It isn't like the Big XII only added teams from powerhouse leagues in the past.

Honestly, it seems to me that the Big XII made mistakes in who they added in the past (WVU over Louisville) and lost quality programs in the past; and now are trying to grab a few programs prior to any real movement by the other conferences.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't understand your point. I didn't say they were applauded for their additions in the last go around. However: West Virginia was in the Big East before it became Conference USA 2.0. Their champion had a guaranteed BCS bowl and was not considered outside of the power conferences. However, West Virginia wasn't exactly the sexiest team out of the bunch but they still won or shared the Big East Conference championship in 6 out of the last 10 years of the conference.

No team available now is anywhere close to what TCU was when they joined the big 12. It's not even a debate. The proof is in the Ws. They had 10+ wins in 8 of the previous 10 years prior to joining the big 12. They had 11+ for most of those seasons and an undefeated season.

I still don't understand the relevance of your point but that round of expansion was more reputable than this one but it's not like the big 12 added teams that were as valuable as the ones that they lost. Then again no one missed Colorado.

#1360 Brando2101, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016