1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No kidding. But sounds like the article is using the "institutional control" argument as the means for voting them out. Bowlsby pretty much shot that idea down.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think so although I think there would be less pressure to do it than it was to add TCU 5 years ago. TCU had a really solid record in the previous 10 years where as UH hasn't however UH has the highest profile in Texas. The only issue I could see is if non-Texas big 12 teams want to reduce the Texas strength in the conference but I don't think that is as strong as it was from Nebraska and Missou. In terms of the Houston market, people were already watching Baylor games so you wouldn't have gained that many eyeballs if they were playing UH relatively speaking however losing that many Texas team based games in Houston would probably make adding Houston worth it. However, there is still a presence of Baylor alums in the stage government including the attorney general. I don't see UT or TT voting to expel them since they are both subject to the Governor's regent appointments. I'm also not sure as to the implications to the current TV deals. I know ABC/ESPN and Fox do not want expansion but I doubt it would be an issue if they exchanged teams.

TLDR: Yes but I don't think Baylor will be kicked out mainly because of state government opposition.

#943 Brando2101, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I've been pretty anti-UH in this thread, but I would absolutely make that trade 100 times out of 100.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The hate is real. "Lulz"

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Would be surprising.....but would also be amazing to be able to attend Big12 games here in Houston.

7. sammy

We're more likely to get KD.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Not going to happen. What will happen is that Baylor will be a doormat in the Big XII.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't think I'd be reveling in this type of hate if I were you.

Now that TCU is in the Big 12, Baylor is completely expendable.

Nothing seismic will likely happen due to politics, but best not to tempt fate.

10. sammy

^Baylor isn't getting kicked out of the big 12. Point blank.

11. Brando2101

Yea. The big 12 will still have a token private school which is something every conference wants.

100% agree and they shouldn't assuming they properly correct their program based on the findings which we don't know about.

Based on what? They don't really have any serious punishments especially if they can force their 2016 recruits to play there. It's also possible to deal with a bad recruiting class. They aren't going to lose scholarships or the opportunity to play for bowl games.

I don't know how much qualifies for NCAA sanctions. It's like like the baylor coaches helped pay a player's mother's rent. They're not monsters. Plus, I wonder if the fact that the NCAA was de-regulated last year will affect their ability. At the very least, they have the power to release all of the 2016 recruits but I have not seen what the considerations they make when making these decisions.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

TCU is a private school.

13. sammy

Academics, entire athletic program, facilities. We bring much more to the table.

14. Brando2101

That was my point.

15. sammy

Has TCU even won a basketball game in the conference yet?

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Your point and my post had pretty much nothing to do with each other, so that's why I was confused.

As for Baylor, the "kick them out" movement will gain steam only as the scandal grows and the window for UH narrows.

UH grads in the Capitol are 2nd only to A&M.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Based on a very competitive environment and their own history. They had to cheat to be elite. If they are not cheating, it will be difficult for them to compete with teams like UT, TAMU, Alabama, OU and others. Also I wouldn't underestimate the effect of players not wanting to play there that are already committed, transfers, etc. A set back in recruiting and a few seasons and they are back to being a doormat. They have very good facilities out of it, and that is important, but all in all it is a tougher sale than a number of other universities. This is all assuming they are even in a position to hire a strong/very good head coach.

Anything is possible obviously, but Baylor was already operating on a thin margin to begin with, and now there are serious obstacles. Anything can happen, but I strongly suspect a decade from now they won't have replicated anything close to the last few seasons.

18. sammy

Give me a break. The most head scratching part about what Briles did was that the kids in question didn't contribute much on the field. Oakman is the biggest name in the group and he's an overrated bum.

19. Brando2101

This is getting further than it probably should have. Baylor will never be kicked out of the conference for 10 different reasons.

20. sammy

Nook still has issues with us taking away Briles. He would probably jump off of a cliff if Herman chose Baylor (unlikely).

He thinks we'll be the doormat again but we ain't playing in Floyd Casey stadium anymore. Take a tour of the athletics building (30M bucks).. And we paid Briles top 10 money. Money talks at the end of the day. We'll see who we hire in December and a guy named Jarrett Stidham is still on the roster. Zach Smith should be fine after Stidham leaves for the NFL draft.

#960 sammy, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016