1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

"MAN UP TEXAS!....

... and do the best thing for Baylor plz"

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yeah you know we're recruiting well in Houston so it would probably negatively affect us recruiting wise. We're just not scared. Good luck winning 7 games next season. It may happen!

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I follow recruiting religiously. You've signed one player 4 stars or higher (Bravvion Roy) from Houston in the entire Briles area.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nearly the entire 2017 class so far is from the Houston area.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

And if they all sign, then your number skyrockets to 2!

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You know Texas sucks when their fans are out trolling other teams instead of talking about their own team.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Why would Mccombs stump for Houston? Is Fertita strong arming him?

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

McCombs is an 88 year old billionaire that pretty much says whatever he wants. What he says will have no bearing on the things to come.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I wish it would change things though. I'd love to see Texas or OU here, right down the road from me every other year. I'd wear my Burnt Orange for one and Couger Red for the other, because it's 9:36 and OU still sucks and all.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Having UH in the big 12 does not help UT at all, so why would Texas support it? Having Texas play some games in Florida or the NE does help because it exposes the Texas brand including academics outside of the state.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What could the tee shirt fans say about "their" team? They used to be good once upon a time and they hope they get good again some day? That they still make a ton of money despite a garbage product on the field? You might as well call them the Cowboys.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Bobby's back. What a relief!

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If UT really is a god-tier program, then none of the programs available for expansion will help (or hurt) them at all.

The key here is maximizing the stability and income of the Big 12.

In terms of money, it's very much a splitting hairs argument, IMO (unless you have a TV network involved).

In terms of stability, there's two ways to look at it. Once the money question is resolved (i.e. network vs no network), then you have to weigh expanding into new territories vs. strengthening lost/weak territories.

You also have the vet the programs in terms of who is a better 10+ year investment. Which school do you think has a better longterm outlook, etc.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is no Big 12 with Texas and OU, so they get to call the shots. If Texas leaves, so does OU which means there is no Big 12. Thats just how it goes. It's called leverage. All the teams with options saw this and exercised those options. It worked out for some(ATM) and not so well for others (Nebraska and Colorado). Make no mistake, every school in the Big 12 is looking out for their own best interest, and currently their best interest is to keep Texas and OU happy so the can keep on collecting those checks. The only reason UH wants in is because they want to collect those checks also, but I doubt they would be so enthusiastic about it if it meant Texas and OU left.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Ah yes, such a happy conference, the Big 12.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never left.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

One has to wonder if the beheading of Baylor's football program, and its presumed descent back into the basement, will have any effect on the desire/need for expansion.

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

Baylor actually getting the Death Penalty-like punishment? I thought firing the coach and everyone else involved was the only thing they had to do.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Big 12 is a joke