1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. AFS

AFS Member

I feel like we don't even deserve it. It's hard enough filling the seats at the football games, not to mention Hoffheinz is only like a quarter full for basketball games. Students have no excuse not to be going to these games since they're free! The lack of student support for the athletics is just sad.

But yeah, maybe spending more money on the programs will help. I just don't understand how schools like UT and TAMU can lose a lot and still have tons of support, but that doesn't happen at UH.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think you make a lot of great points but I feel like they might prioritize expanding east in order to balance out the conference geographically. I don't know if you can say Colorado St is that much better than Cincy or Memphis. I also feel like the eastern markets are more valuable than the west. I don't see Colorado St getting the big 12 further than Colorado but for some reason I feel like getting to Memphis and Cincy will spread to more of a regional reach. I have 0 evidence to that. Just seems likely to me for some reason.

I would be happy with Memphis because of how great their basketball team is. It doesn't hurt that their football team can be good as well. Really wish we could have grabbed Louisville. Cincy has been a great program for years. They would join West Virginia as the two last powerhouses of the Big East before it crashed and burned.

It's possible that the big 12 adds an extra game to the schedule instead of expand. It caries way less consequences with the TV deal. The one thing people continue to overlook is that Ohio St had more wins than Baylor and TCU. Period. Adding another non conference game would allow big 12 teams that extra game to compete with the extra game the other conference winners will have. PLUS, it returns the 4th non conference game to the big 12. If this happens, Texas will offer to play A&M IMO. The aggies would have to cancel agreements they have with other colleges to do it though.

I'm sure Baylor will fill that extra game with whatever JV high school squad that wants a piece of them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Brando2101

Few reasons:
    1) Austin and College Station have no pro teams. Houston Does.
    2) UT and A&M are historically good and UH is not so there isn't a history to fall back on when things get tough for the bigger schools.
    3) UH is a commuter school so it's harder for students to get to the games.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.statesman.com/news/sport...o-the-big-12-league-ads-discuss-confer/njN28/
    Cincinnati to the Big 12? League ADs discuss conference’s future
    Posted: 7:13 p.m. Monday, Dec. 8, 2014 | Filed in: College Football
    COMMENTS 0

One day after the Big 12 was squeezed out of the College Football Playoff, a report surfaced that the league is considering expansion while the 10 athletic directors met in New York to discuss what to do.

The Sporting News reported Monday that Big 12 officials had been talking with Cincinnati administrators about the Bearcats possibly joining the league.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So much for that.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Brando2101, you do realize that the student section is almost always packed regardless of who UH plays?

7. Major

Major Member

Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't allow teams to play 13 regular season games. The only way to add a game is a conference championship game.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

How large is the student section? And if there are unsold tickets, can't they release some of those tickets to students in order to fill empty seats?

9. Brando2101

No I didn't but that seems odd since the attendance in the last game was 23,572. How many seats are in the student section? Did no one else come? Also, a lot of students at others schools will sit in the "non student" section.

Wo what level does the NCAA have in order to dictate that? The big 5 were more or less granted autonomy over their league and able to enforce rules independent of the NCAA. Would this not be one of those new freedoms?

10. The Stig

The Stig Member

No way UH gets a bid to the Big 12. Might as well hand SMU one while you're at it.

If Big 12 is adding a team, it's going to be BYU.

11. Brando2101

So I received this anonymous rep on this post: "The Horns can offer to play the Aggies, but I don't think they are that interested. The Horns want it far more than the Aggies. And it's not that the Aggies are scared. The Aggies have moved on, and are now part of a great conference. Move on Horns."

It's funny how the rhetoric changes so much on a day to day basis. Seems like yesterday UT was being immature and avoiding the aggies because they were bitter. Not UT is desperate for the game to return and the aggies have moved on. Whatever.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think whichever team is better at the time is going to want the game more.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's funny, in the last like 2 weeks, I've received 3 anonymous rep posts that are basically people being dillholes and playing peepee games. And it's all related to college football. This topic brings out the worst in some people.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The student section is 5000 seats. As for releasing unsold tickets, I really haven't heard of such a thing happening.

The closest they ever came to doing that was expanding the student section to 7500 seats for the opener vs. UTSA in the new stadium this year.

Bottom line, student attendance is hardly a problem even if UH is still categorically still a "commuter school." They have built enough on-campus housing to try to shake that label, but i digress.

I remember trying to get in as an alum back in 2009 vs. OK state. It was impossible to find tickets but Mattress Mack was gracious enough to setup a projector outside the stadium and give away food during the game.

There are a ton of fairweather fans (can you blame them?), but the interest will be there.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You mean Texas Tech? We didn't host OSU in 2009. We did that in 2006.

16. Brando2101

Less than 5,000 students at a game when 40,000 attend the school is good to you?

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Pretty much every game this year had the student section at capacity except for Tulsa, which was on Thanksgiving week (plus it was Turdy Tony's farewell).

Not saying UH student attendance is good, but it's a far cry from what it used to be.

Also, as of this year, UH has like the 3rd or 2nd most beds on campus of any TX university, or something crazy like that now.

18. Brando2101

Again, it's enitely possible that students get tickets in the non student section and if they are doing than then no one else is going to the game when the attendence is 23,000

19. Major

Major Member

They were given more freedoms, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of them. Similarly, they'd still need an exemption from the NCAA to have a championship game with a 10-team conference (an idea that makes no sense anyway).

If they were allowed to have 13 games, you can be sure they all would have done it already - lots of free extra revenue there.

20. Major

Major Member

I think it's just the opposite. The lesser team is always going to want the opportunity to knock off the better team. The team that's better has more to lose by losing. The lesser team has more to gain by winning. The reason the SEC didn't want A&M in the Texas Bowl is that Aggies are doing better with recruiting and they didn't want to give Texas the chance to get that back.