1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah that's some r****ded logic they used. I'm sure the schools themselves aren't using that reasoning because they'd be smart enough to know if Houston actually gets better and does get an invite from another P5 conference, the same thing would happen.

That audio sounds like a bunch of non sense. Good humor.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How is OU academically? The PAC 12 has standards. Also, I don't see OU going anywhere without OK State.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I love it when people post nonsense without knowing the facts from the past.

Again, as I posted a few pages back for the umpteenth time, the PAC 12 has already stated that they have ZERO interest in OU unless Texas is coming along. This was their rule when expansion hit a few years back and still holds to this day. This has been explained to detail in many articles if you care to research.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

A lot can change in 6 years.

Is the PAC's attitude still that Texas is attainable?

Are the PAC's TV partners hungrier for markets than they were then?

Does the PAC braintrust see their window of opportunity to break into the central US as greater or narrower than before?

The answers to all of these questions will determine how far they are willing to move their goal posts.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Was it not revealed a couple of years ago that if OU moves to another conference Oklahoma politicians will require them to take OSU along? Sort of like how Texas Tech and Baylor got into the Big 12?

No conference wants anything to do with OSU.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Middle of the run in the Big 12 but in the lower echelon of P5 schools. As Longhorn Fan posted, the PAC 12 was only interested in OU if Texas came along the last go around of realignment. How much of that sentiment still holds remains to be seen but haven't seen anything as of late that would change it.

And yes the feeling is that OU and OK State are a package deal. Texas and A&M managed to split so anything is possible but think Oklahoma politicians will try to keep those 2 schools together as much as they can. This along with keeping OU and Texas together are huge obstacles for OU trying to leave on it's own. Not to mention that Texas politicians will also try to keep Texas and Tech/Baylor together as well.

Going back to ballplayer's original thought, OU and UH to the PAC 12 is not going to happen.

1 person likes this.
  8. LonghornFan

I doubt they see Texas as attainable but I wish that would change as I would LOVE for Texas to be part of the PAC 12. Going Independent isn't going to happen, not sure why some keep bringing this up. From what I've heard, they still would only be open to Texas/OU. They do not want Tech or Okie Lite at all, which is why Texas/OU will stay in the BIG 12.

The PAC 12 also has the worst Conference TV contract besides the ACC. We all know that the SEC and Big 10 pay out the highest to each school in their conference, but the PAC 12 teams make even less than those in the BIG 12. I highly doubt any PAC 12 school is ready to add 2-4 more schools into their conference at this time. The interest/ viewership in the network is just not there on the West Coast. Also, all of this talk about a BIG 12 Network. Honestly, who would even care to watch this. The LHN is a complete joke, the BIG 10 network works as half of the year the fans in those areas are stuck indoors, and the SEC is well, the SEC. They'll always ball.

9. LonghornFan

I've still not read or heard the explanation as to why Tech is attached in any Texas package deal. I've always read or heard about it, but have never seen a complete detailed explanation as to why? I could see and understand Baylor, but Tech? I don't get it at all.

10. gucci888

Why the PAC 12 then?

11. LonghornFan

Texas will always make money, not worried about TV contracts. It's more of myself being selfish. :)

I enjoy afternoon and night games and I'd much rather play Stanford, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Oregon, etc. The BIG 12 has turned into a pretty tough conference thanks to Baylor and TCU playing good ball but I'm just over it. Not a fan at all.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

OU's academics and the need to keep them and OK State together hasn't changed. We are talking the PAC, not the SEC.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz, people trying to move UT around the globe and take away their network just to squeeze UH in somewhere.

14. gucci888

Ya would make for some fun football games but the late night games turn me off. Hard to watch 9:30 Rocket games so can't imagine how I'd stay up to watch UT Basketball.

I actually like the BIG if we make a move. Great conference academically (#1 depending on what you're looking at), solid conference network, and annual games versus Michigan, OSU, PSU, MSU, etc. would be a lot of fun. Would have been even better if Pelini was still at NU...:cool:

15. Nook

Nook Member

What is said in public and in private are not always the same. Also things can change over time.

OU would be attractive to any conference.

16. LonghornFan

While true, conferences besides the SEC (Big 10 or whatever it is now and the PAC 12 have HIGH standards in place) do have academic standards that teams must meet. OU is just middle of the pack in the BIG 12. This is a big issue when conferences look at teams to expand with. It's not all about football, it's what else can you bring to make our conference/schools/academics excel.

17. Major

Major Member

OU is better than the bottom tier schools in any other conference - academics would not be a problem for them at all. They would likely be welcomed with open arms to any conference they wanted to join. They check all the boxes you want in an expansion. The real issue is if they need to take OSU with them.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That was EXACTLY the scenario with Texas and Texas A&M once upon a time. Texas almost went to the SEC but Texas politicians required the SEC to take little brother along with them. The SEC wanted nothing to do with A&M at the time so the deal fell through.

Just because that's the situation at one point doesn't mean that it'll stay that way.

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Since when is OU underqualified for the PAC?

Says who?

20. gucci888

Yes and no. The Norman television market is almost non-existent, they still rely outside the state for majority of their recruiting, and academics aren't anything to write home about. With that said, they have a national brand and history that pretty much trumps everything else. But I agree that OSU is the real issue.

But if this were completely true, OU would be in the PAC right now IMO.