1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big 12 Expansion rumors

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

San Diego State and West Virginia in the same conference is insane. Makes absolutely no sense. San Diego State isnt a big enough name to really grasp much of the California tv market. And I really don't think the big12 is healthy enough to add teams that make no geographic sense. The big12 needs to make moves so it still exist in 10 years. I think adding UofH could be a step in the right direction.

(I live in Houston but I am not a coogs fan)

2. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Why would BYU need to work out the "Sunday thing"? How many college football games are played on Sunday?

3. Buck Turgidson

It's all the other sports that are the issue.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Not happening. They'll get approval for a conference championship with 10 schools. Schools don't want to give up 4 million a year to add in two schools that no other conferences want.

5. Major

Major Member

I don't see what incentive the other conferences have to grant the waiver (I read somewhere that it would be the Big5 that would decide and not the NCAA now under the new autonomy rules). As long as the Big12 is at a disadvantage, that makes it much easier for the other 4 conferences to land a playoff spot and all the money that comes with that. The Big12 wanted to split more money amongst fewer teams, while the other conferences accepted that more teams were needed to have a better conference and title game even if they had to split the money more ways. I don't see why the other conferences would give the Big12 the best of both worlds.

Besides that, a conference title game makes no sense for a 10 team round-robin conference. Last year, you'd have an 8-1 Baylor team playing one of three 7-2 teams, two of whom they'd already beaten. Or what if you have a 9-0 team playing a 7-2 team? Or 3 1-loss teams that all lost to each other? It makes sense when teams play different schedules, but the whole idea of a round robin is to eliminate that need.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston is already a hot bed for recruiting for the entire nation.

Didn't Saban just get a commit from this week from missouri city who was a 5 star player?

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I agree completely. The Big 12 had an inarguable conference champion, it was Baylor. Regardless of who people thought the better team was. It was just an unfortunate situation that the conference champion appeared to be a clearly inferior team, but they were the champs, no need for a title game.

Baylor should have scheduled better. Because they appeared to be a weak champ the whole conference was left out. Had TCU been a one loss conference champ they would have been in the playoff. The conference champ was the problem, not the system.

8. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

That is exactly why other big12 teams want more exposure to the Houston area. With the departure of Texas A&M, big12 teams no longer have exposure to the area. Like it or not Houston is a SEC town now. LSU has had a major presents in the area for years and now Texas A&M is also successfully recruiting the areas top talent. Texas A&Ms departure to the SEC has opened the gates for other SEC schools to poach the areas talent as well.

The big12 needs to take back market share and get the majority of Houston tuning back into Big12 football for both TV ratings and recruiting. I believe adding UofH is a important strategic move for the big12. Adding schools like Memphis, Cincinnati, or Boise State may add to the big12's geographic market but the big12 is quickly losing the largest city in the state of Texas to the SEC. I understand that adding UofH does not add to the big12 tv revenue stream in the short term but in the longterm it is a good move.

1 person likes this.
  9. what

what Member

It's all about Money. The big 12 wants to keep all the money between 10 teams AND a championship waiver. The NCAA has already denied that before. The big 12 is a joke. Do they think that if they just call themselves the big 12 that people will believe that they are 12 teams.

The LHN is a joke and nobody cares about it. Texas can't wait to bolt for the pac 12, if that happens the big 12 will be a joke once again.

10. Brando2101

That really doesn't sound right. I thought the NCAA was giving up major regulation to the leagues but I'm pretty sure the leagues have no real legal connection. They have partnerships much like the very old NL and AL in baseball. I can't imagine the 5 leagues having to the power to regulate another. Do you have a source?

I agree it's not an ideal system and you're right about the ties creating problems. Perhaps a +1 game to the schedule for every team would make some difference. It would allow all the big 12 teams to match the other leagues with the amount of out of conference games. Plus, it would mean 12 additional games for the TV contract and I assume that means the conference can squeeze more money out of ESPN.

I've posted a lot about the inclusion of UH. I feel like it's only in the best interest of UH and I can't see the big 12 becoming the first major conference to have 5 teams from a single state. Texas, Texas Tech and TCU would be against it (I assume) because it might represent a recruiting competitor. OU and OK ST are already losing ground to the SEC in Texas so I don't know why they would be for it either. I think it would be even harder to justify bringing them in because it would look more like the old southwest conference. No one cares about how many people are moving to Texas. Almost half a conference from a single state does not look like a national conference.

But Donny and I can go back and forth on it forever. We had this argument once and it didn't happen. We'll have it again and it won't happen but I doubt anyone will give credence to my opinions at that point either.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know about that... maybe. You have a team like Florida State schedule traditionally good opponents years in advance, then they almost all wind up being mediocre this year when it's time to play.

And what's easier in the Big 12, finding good but not great teams that agree to play a tough Baylor team or just roughing up the cupcakes and going undefeated? An undefeated Big 12 team will always be in the playoff. Schedule cupcakes, knockoff Iowa State, Kansas and whichever other 2-3 teams are down at the time, then take care of business. Kind of an easy road. Easiest road of any power conference. Just beat the other teams once and you're in.

12. Brando2101

wat??

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Some pretty interesting things going on that may force a Big 12 expansion if they want add conference championship game. Think the first sentence is a typo since the Big 12 didn't do anything, rather the Big 10 did.

14. beardsanity713

idk why they just don't add UofH

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

There's very little benefit to the B12 adding UH.

16. Major

Major Member

I think they mean that if the Big10's proposal passes, it's going to force the B12 to expand if they want a title game. Right now, I think the B12's goal is to try to get a waiver to allow a title game with 10 teams - which is dumb and doesn't even make any sense. Who would have played this year and why? OU beat the 3 teams just below them and everyone played equal schedules.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

whatever big12 decides it will be the wrong decision. they've always had terrible leadership and vision. the fate of the big12 will be exactly like the southern conference.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

why is it bad to make one of the most football talented areas in the country big 12 country?

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think Houston and Colorado State would make the most sense

I don't buy that Houston doesn't benefit the big 12, adding more competitive teams to a relatively weak conference (or at least a conference with a large amount of bottom feeders) is always a good thing, especially when they keep complaining they are missing out on big bowl games

but the big 12 seems to be pretty stupid

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Because it's already Big 12 country. UT, OU, LSU, Tech, TAMU, TCU, they're all drinking your milkshake. That's UH on the left.

[​IMG]