1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bickerstaff calls out officials during press conference.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

The sad thing is that he's right but unfortunately he'll be fined cause gawd forbid you say anything abiut these crooked refs. To me NBA refs are just the same as a Mafia

2. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

Extreme boost of respect for JB after this. This is the kind of support for your players that will gain more fire from the players. The league will find him. The organization should respond with an immediate extension. Even if they plan to let him go, the team should stand behind him and show that enough is enough.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Howard got his second tech fair and square and that was dumb of him. But.

Th refs decided the last two games. On bad calls that clearly favored our opponents. Refs should never decide a game and they certainly shouldn't decide a game on so many clearly wrong calls when there is an HQ that should be watching this stuff. The highlight reel of inexcusable calls and no calls (and JB is right - it's dangerous) from the last two nights would be incredible.

It makes it no fun to watch the game and I'm almost ready to stop unless/until there's a rule change that allows replay HQ to step in or coaches to get a certain number of replays. What is the fun in games like the last two? That's not fun, it's maddening. They have a replay center and they should use it. Because the results of the last two games are not legit.

Good for J.B. That was beautiful video.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

JB is right. This was a terrible job. If your job is to be fair and call what you see, they messed up. Good on him for speaking his mind.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I've been saying it for some time, and the responses are usually the same, it would slow the game down, the refs don't decide games, and other such nonsense

It takes 2 and a half hours to play 48 minutes, the last 30 seconds can take over 10 minutes, the game stops and restarts everytime a foul occurs or it goes out of bounds or someone scores (this is probably 120 times a game at least), it also lacks requisite rules (hell, even the nfl has some of those rules to encourage flow) that free flowing sports have to encourage such things. The nba is not a free flowing sport, it is a stop start sport.

As for not costing games, even if we took the nba's position of 7% error to be true, and they are really generous in allowing interpretation, in a game with 200 possessions per game and 100 decisions for/against, you need to win by about 15 points to take them out of the game (and that's if you don't include momentum shifts). Do you know how many teams have had a net margin greater than 15? not one, in the history of the nba.

#65 Aleron, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Dwight does get cheated, but his main problem is himself. Over a decade into his career and still can't shoot FTs, postup. or shoot. Throws tantrums at officials and other players and allows his teammates to dictate his effort as if he's a role player. Howard is lucky he doesn't get whistled for travelling more often during his "moves".

Agree about the defense, really agree.. but you were joking? A college team probably never hits 80.

JB's press conference was great! Hope it lights a fire under the team and league.

7. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

This has been discussed repeatedly in other threads. And yet, he still averages a double double and will get a max contract this offseason for what he can still bring. We can debate all day about how he is not a perfect player but neither is Draymond Green (can't really create his own shot) or Steph Curry (defense improved but still not perfect).

Think about it, its not about laying it into a guy who has been in the league for over 10 years but realising and maximising what he can bring. That is how a contender is made.

I'm really happy that JB stood up for his guy. I still remember the 6th foul that was called in the Portland series in OT and then rescinded the next day. Come on league - just because he is strong and doesn't flail his arms and flop whenever people beat him up, you PENALISE him by not giving him calls?

And Lebron gets the benefit of the doubt when he is clearly a freaking tank and flops by flying around the court. COME ON

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's actually a business, and that's why the league tries to protect it's best players.

You think David Stern was going to let anyone lay a hand on LeBron whilst he was commissioner?

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"Referees should be invisible during the game. These worms weren't." :)

10. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WTF?? you don't know me from boo, bro. I still like Harden, I still like Dwight, hell, I still like McHale for that matter. I can put up with a lot of Rockets **** and not complain.

Look, suppose the Warriors actually DID lose to the Sixers last night. What if Steve Kerr gets up in the post-game presser and goes off on a rant against the officiating in that one game? how he couldn't get calls, his players got out-muscled, how unfair it all was? I don't think Steve Kerr is going to make those kinds of arguments after the game.

Granted, JB is in a WAY, way different place coaching-wise than Steve Kerr. But you're a rookie coach, you gotta take your lumps. It's a little like ritual hazing of rookie players, like when they make rookies where Dora the Explorer backpacks all season. You shut up and do it, you don't complain about it.

Now again, I said JB's presser was a little TOO whiney for me. Not all whiney, not whiney generally. I just think he took it too far. He's so frustrated at his utter and complete own lack of ability to motivate the team that he's so desperate, this is the only thing he can figure out left to try. Again, don't get me wrong: that's the most emotion I've seen from Bickerstaff all season long--and I WAS VERY GLAD TO SEE IT. But I think it was over the top. You lost the game over 48 minutes, just like you've lost most other games. Bad officiating is part of the game. Adapt to it or perish.

But if your coach is out of ideas and venting his frustration at the entire situation he finds himself in by complaining about refs, well then I think that's another sign that he's in over his head.

Anyway. I really resent the comment that I'm "that fan" that's always gonna b**** about something. That's just a ****ing stupid comment. If JB had burst into tears as part of his rage against the machine, would it have added to his performance or would you think it was over the top? even without the tears, JB was, in my opinion, over the top.

12. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After his 3:20 press briefing, JBB finishes, walks off and then flings open door to a back entrance of locker room.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/693646134338654209">January 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">James Harden said he's never seen JBB that mad.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/693647318705278976">January 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pat Beverley said Rockets support their coach.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/693645679055339524">January 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

13. Mr Chuck Norris

I think JBB is an awful coach, but I know for sure Kevin McHale wouldn't stick up for Dwight like JBB did. He gets my respect for that, it's bout time someone stands up for the bull**** going on.

14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Any player (especially star player) who is bigger/stronger than the typical player at their position never gets the calls they deserve. Dwight, Yao, Shaq, LeBron, Cousins, Drummond, ect. should all shoot more FTs than they do. The NBA just doesn't want the league to be completely dominated by monsters.

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Blame this on JBB. It is because he did not tell Dwight that he has 1 tech already and do not get another 1. Between the 1st and the his 2nd, JBB or his staff did not inform Dwight to don't do anything stupid. Only a rookie coach allows Dwight to get outed like that. We have a player that is not like Hakeem where he can lead, we have a player that needs to be babied and catered. If we want Dwight on the Rockets team, we need a coach who tells him directly what to do, or he will do stupid things. A no-nonsense coach would tell Dwight to do this and do that instead he let Dwight to get over his head. JBB it is on you.

16. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Damn skippy JB. You the man and definitely earning my respect. Now go put a foot in some of the players butts....:eek:

17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I respect your opinion, but I can't help but think your viewpoint on JB is skewed due to your hatred for McHale. It's rare that a single entity is the reason you lost, but when you are contributing nightly to a loss, you're the problem not the solution, and JB is contributing nightly to our losses.

Brewer playing poorly, getting out rebounded and beat off the dribble, missing 75% of his shots? Give him 30 minutes. Thornton the only 1 who can consistently score? Give him 0 minutes. Harrell the only dude that's bringing any type of energy, and is the reason you've won a couple games this year? Bench him! And don't get me started on Lawson.

His rotations are pitiful and inconsistent, and he's extremely slow to make adjustments. Additionally, the dude has been our defensive coach for 4 years? Yet we've only had an above average defense 1 year. When you're getting called out by your veteran players (JET) for not properly preparing, then you're not cut out to be a HC.

The refs have been awful the past 2 nights, but if we start applauding a coach for criticizing the refs, and say that's a victory, that's what we want in a coach! Then we've gone too far down this rabbit hole of mediocrity and are now grabbing at straws. I want a coach that knows how to WIN. Not one that knows how to point out the obvious.

1 person likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what this guy says, x100. Exactly.

19. Mr Chuck Norris

Oh please. Let people club and hit you across the head twist your arms and for a whole season while being labeled soft, and blatantly get disrespected by the refs and you not blown a gasket I'm surprised Dwight hasn't punched anyone yet

20. conquistador#11

that's what i'm talking about! f' those zebra, addicted to gambling, polyester wearing mofo's. I hope they catch rabies and eat each other.