1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley: The Grim Reaper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 6, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Calvin Murphy concurs.

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5094/patrick-beverley-dominates-jrue-holiday-video/

2. dragonz

dragonz Member

he is not gona get into the nerves of the likes of CP3, Rondo, DRose, DWade, SCurry, TParker, and Westbrooks

yes, he sent Westbrooks into hospital, but that will only fire him up more next time he plays against us.

we all want Beverley to be Houston Rockets' Bruce Bowen, but I just don't think we can make that comparison yet.

What we should reasonable hope is that starting Beverley will prob not let opposite PG get out of control defensively. But get into their nerves? unlikely.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not really. And from a theoretical standpoint it shouldn't either. Harden and Howard are the best half-court players on the team. The team benefits the least from a high paced offense when they are on the floor. OTOH, the team benefits most from a high-paced style when one or especially both of our stars are off the court.

Any particular game has two parts that you're trying to maximize. One is overall play over 48 minutes. In this case, you're trying to maximize your team's output over an entire game, which is what I'm suggesting by having Lin play heavy minutes when Harden/Howard are out. The other part of the game is crunch time, which involves putting your best 5 players during the heaviest leveraged minutes. Crunch time does not exist in the 1st quarter, when players start. It does, however, exist at the end of games. This is the logic behind teams having "6th man" who come off the bench but close out games. It does not lessen their perceived impact(JR Smith is not considered inferior to Raymond Felton for example). But it maximizes both total-game team output by staggering his and Melo's minutes, while allowing both to play together during crunch time.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL. Do you think you'd suffer physical pain if you gave Beverley some credit, or what?

And a team desperate to tank would trade away an All-Star, that's who. Even assuming they were dumping Jrue because he's a subpar performer (your argument), why in the world would they trade for Nerlens Noel -- someone whose stock has been steadily plummeting and won't be healthy when the season starts? The answer is "Andrew Wiggins," in case you're wondering.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

What? Westbrook is easy to upset he is a hot head... he single handedly lost the game for OKC two years ago when Dragic got under his skin.
    All those players can be bother, except for maybe CP3... he just players better.

6. jocar

jocar Member

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Irrelevant.

Kudos to Bev, the PG position is looking pretty solidified this year.

8. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

He got under the skin of Kevin Durant/OKC nation. Well, in the least, Durant felt compelled and it necessary to lunge for the ball in game 3 in honor of Westbrook. So yeah, he was in KD head in that sentiment.

No matter how great of a player you are, feisty players that dog you all game will wear on your patience and cause you to react uncharacteristically. That's a fact, look at history.

Don't know who's comparing him to Bowen but I do know that he has a chance to be our special weapon dynamic vs PG's that's very intriguing. Not that he's a stopper but Bev's style of play is highly appreciated by me.

Must be a LOF

1 person likes this.
  9. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I dont like the nickname grim reaper though

how about The Beverly Hills Cop. He looks like Eddie Murphy a bit. Eddie Murphy was goofy, unorthodox but effective like Beverley

or the Thief for obvious reasons

and lastly Patrick "Pick Pocket"

thoughts?

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you're really good at projecting point guard talent.

[​IMG]

11. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

Jlin & Beverly > Howard & Asik > Harden & howard

Not to say any of these combo are not devastating.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's called trial and error.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Okay I have no idea who just rep-hated on me or whatever, but here are my thoughts:

I understand people do not read every single post I make, but obviously I like Beverley. That much is clear from what I've posted, go and read. He's an amazing player to have coming off the bench with how disruptive he can be, and he is decent offensively with the 3ball. The main issue to ride on what DD said was that Beverley's main strength, is somewhat nullified with extended minutes, it happened with Lowry.

I believe in Lin, and want him to do well. When he is on, he is a very big asset to this team. Further to this, apart from making my viewpoint known, I really don't enjoy discussing Lin at length on this site anymore. I've stated over and over how he needs to develop his shot, cut out in the inconsistency in his aggressiveness, better his lateral speed, and all that. But I feel its an exercise in futility. So I try when possible to stay away from Lin threads and focus more on [2013] Best Ass threads.

So just message me or talk about it in the BBS if you have an issue, with me being happy we have two (three?) PG's that can contribute.

14. Reach

Reach Member

Where are these Best Ass threads and how can I access them?

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

16. gene18

gene18 Rookie

So you are saying that Beverley's steals had nothing to do with how Holiday handels the ball.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You sound like you have some experience looking in that mirror.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

They're only going to push each other to get better, competition is very good for this team.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That is definitely not what I said. However, I'm now saying that I don't think reading comprehension is your forte.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't put much stock into these preseason games in terms of the stats or whatever. It's preseason. Jrue Holiday's first game against competition on a new team.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's awesome that Bev did that to him. But I am just sayin.

Anyone remember Kelvin Cato getting all those blocks in preseason and Rudy T saying he was going to lead the league in block shots. And how laughable that was when it was clear Cato wasn't going to even lead the team in blocks?