1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley: The Grim Reaper

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Oct 6, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Shouldn't you be studying up on Seventeen magazine or something?

2. ptR91

ptR91 Member

we all know harden and howard is the offense, all he has to do is pass to them, not much moving around. rest on offense for a bit then go hard on defense. and his defense helps harden if keeps the pressure on the other pgs.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

While Westbrook's was perhaps overly aggressive, not deliberate, Evans' was a freak accident where both their feet landed at the wrong angles.

4. quizone

quizone Member

So George Hill next?

5. hbomb

hbomb Member

then it makes sense for Beverly to always come off the bench.

for this team, and for other teams i suspect too, his ability shines in HYPER-aggresive, irritating and annoying defense.

What all small guards do when playing against bigger guys. Bev has always been small and so he's always had to put that extra effort in defense.

Add that now to knowing there is a secure paint / rim protector behind you, it makes PERFECT sense for Beverly to come off the bench end of 1st, into the 2nd. and start the fourth. I think his minutes will go up and average to about 20 minutes, Lin's will be similar at 25-28 minutes per night.

Him vs westbrook / drose / kyrie irving will be interesting. but, you won't see that because Lin will primarily be guarding them. and he does well.

Lin's defense is going to funnel (in his words) towards howard. Look how it lead to Dwights first block this game.

Two perfectly complementary playstyles.

Add in harden/lin's attacking/playmaking prowess, and we have the best backcourt in the NBA in offense AND defense.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

If I were Jrue Holiday's mama I would be pissed at Beverley. Somebody never taught him how to play nice.

BTW here are the plays in question:

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

dang with this kind of tenacity wish we could have won in the end.
    well, it's preseason

8. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I wouldn't was more like he picked his pocket, took his cookies, his lunch money, then spat it his face, chit in his face, and murders him leaving, then making a clean getaway. Lol, on second thought, it actually looked worse than it sounds, lol.

9. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Wow, my iPhone just murdered my grammar, lol.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

well, coaches were going after the bench for their terrible defense.

Bev probably took it personally and wanted to up the defensive intensity of the bench unit. He does think of himself as a defensive captain.

Monty Williams should have asked the 2-guard to bring up the ball.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

fixed ;)

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

He is an amazing athlete, but he defence did suffer in the playoffs with heavy minutes. He's very good at his role, but Lin did look good today. Not a bad problem to have.

1 person likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well IMHO it just shows how much Pelicans got robbed in the Jrue Holiday trade, I'm not even sure how he became an all star with Rondo, irving and D-Will in the East.

Pelicans look Horrible, and they happen to play in a strong conference. Look for them to give Philly a top 10 pick next year.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Starting and playing time has never really been directly proportional, not when it comes to role players. Kenny Smith for example kept the starting job even while Rudy was giving more and more time to Cassell.

So I would argue the opposite. I think it's more important for Beverley to start, because it kind sets the tempo for the game and get into the other player's nerves. Also it's more useful to do it to opposing star PGs, not their backups. Get the ball out of Chris Paul's hands is more useful than getting it out of Darren Collison's hands, for example.

15. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Jrue Holiday is overrated, turnover machine with bad handling

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think Lin is the better player but I like what Beverley does.

The game I want to see is after Westbrook comes back and we play OKC, I'll be ready for Beverley to come in a little early that game to see if the sparks start flying.

17. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

he doesn't just guard you, he torpedos you to hell. patrick "torpedo" beverly

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I can't wait until Bev guards DRose!

19. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Holiday is grossly over rated. I watched him last year and I was waiting to see get exposed. Don't forget he was traded. Who trades away a true allstar. Would any coach trade away Rose,Weastbrook,or CP.

20. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Would he get the ball from Weastbrook. Paul and PG of that caliber. He didn't last year. Holiday is grossly overated.