1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley Responds to Lillard's Comments (790 audio)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NOLArocket, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Several months ago it was the Rockets getting bullied. Pat Bev came back from injury bringing much needed toughness and influence in games and in practice, and now it's the Rockets doing the bullying. I LOVE IT! Those who say this isn't basketball don't know basketball, this old school style defense in it's purest form, this is Stockton/Payton/Isiah/Elie style defense like we haven't seen in years, this is what it takes to win championships! If you can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen. Or as Bev would say, "if you aren't thinking about winning, get off the bus!".

1 person likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this little exchange really highlights the paths these two guys took to get to be starters in the NBA.

Lillard had a great college career, picked 6th in the draft, and selected unanimous Rookie of the Year. He's always been the Golden Child and he's headed to a long career of big contracts and product endorsements. He has the luxury of having some artificial code of what's honorable play on defense.

Meanwhile, Beverley had a good college career, but was drafted in the secound round, had his rights bounce around, played in exile for a couple of years, got cut from the Heat in training camp, signed a minimum level contract and played in the D-League, and has had to claw and fight for every ounce of success he's had since. While Lillard can coast to an illustrious career on the back of his considerable talent, Beverley will only have success by working harder than everybody else. He doesn't have as much lattitude as Lillard to say he won't do this or that on defense. If he doesn't take every advantage he can find, Jeremy Lin will take his job.

Everyone played defense that way in the '90s, and Payton was a great defender then relative to everyone else playing by the same rules. He'd have to change his tactics a little due to rule changes, but he'd still be a great defender today if this was the era he played in.

1 person likes this.
  3. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Blazersedge fans going crazy unloading on the dirty cheating flopping whining Beverley. Look in comments on the Lillard whines article. Rockets now most hated team in PDX.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Their only chance at not being mediocre is for Lillard to turn into Chris Paul.

I would be PMSing too if I was a Trailblazer fan. To know that your ceiling for the next 4-5 years is as a 5 seed in the West.

5. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Lillith will be seeing this 4 times a year.

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Let's start posting pics of Clyde hosting the trophy in Houston. Might as well own it.

7. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

It is so refreshing to finally have positive discussons about the Rockets and their great defense-- since JVG left anyway. Even in the JVG era, it was often dismissed as just slow pace vs great defense.

It's a great time to be a Rockets fan! :grin:

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Well actually he got kicked out of college had to play euro ball for a year before declaring for the draft. So I would say his college career was a failure. Literally and figuratively.

9. Sen89

Sen89 Member

10. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Why was he kicked out of college?

11. Classic

Classic Member

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Cheating, I think he turned in a paper he did not write.

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Now he is making millions

Who needs school for realz? :rolleyes:

15. JuanValdez

Of course, everyone is going to hate him. People always hate pesky defenders. If Beverley played for some other team, no one here would be parsing between Bev's active defense and Bruce Bowen's dirty defense.

His academic college career was a failure, but I think his college basketball career was fine. He played in a reputable program, did well, and earned awards. Though it's funny to call a gig that lasts 2 years and pays no money a career. But, whatever; your way fits the narrative better, I suppose.

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

I thought Bev looked desperate and dirty against Westbrook last night. Just play ball. This isn't the WWE.

17. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Gig pays lots of money. Just not to the players.

18. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Last year Bev was a nobody - the guy who played in Russia and was cut by the Heat. This year Bev is "one of the most aggressive defenders in the NBA" and the guy most hated by the top scorers in the game. That is a fantastic rep to have, he can really build a career around that.

Reminds me of Rodman in a way, where Rodman was one of the best rebounders and hated by many who weren't on his team for his aggressive play. But unlike Rodman, Bev is usually level-headed which bodes well for long tenure in the league.

His style leads to higher risk of injury for himself, not just the opponents. I'm keeping my fingers crossed till he gets his next contract (hopefully with the Rockets) and can start putting some real money in the bank.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah. Say what you will about Westbrook, but Beverley looked like the defense version of hotheaded Westbrook. Trying to embarrass him every play. Made us pay for it two times with fouls on three point jumpers. He needs to bring the intensity every night, but he needs to remember to tone it down when necessary. Too much trolling last night.

Beverley's capacity for stealing the ball is shockingly good though. If the NBA eliminated hand checking Bev would be a defensive superstar.

20. JuanValdez

If he signs it with the Rockets, you should keep your fingers crossed afterward too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.