1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley and KJ McDaniels get qualifying offers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ibm, Jun 30, 2015.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The qualifying offer must be MADE in order for the player to become a restricted free agent. Hence, the act of MAKING the offer is of critical importance.

In Beverley's case (a player with three years' NBA experience), if he accepts the one-year qualifying offer, he can become an UNRESTRICTED free agent next summer.

In McDaniels's case (a player with only one year's NBA experience), if he accepts the one-year qualifying offer, he would again be a RESTRICTED free agent next summer.

All players with three years or less NBA experience (except for first rounders who have a team option declined on their rookie scale contract) are restricted free agents, as well as first rounders with four years' NBA experience who are completing their rookie scale contracts.

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yes, but my question is when is the deadline? He said SOP was to do these at the deadline...I am wondering if he is saying we are doing business as usual or if we are actually a little early this go around.

3. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Of course the Rockets extended a qualifying offer for Parsons. That was always a no-brainer. That was also the only reason why there was any drama over whether to match the Mavericks' offer sheet after Chandler and Cuban met in the club that night. Without the qualifying offer being extended, the Rockets never would have had matching rights.

The deadline is June 30. Today. The Rockets waited until today, which is the deadline.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If both of them accept offers today, then the rockets would have less money for a big FA?

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know about the restriction based on experience. What happens if the QO wasn't made, does that make them unrestricted FAs as of tomorrow? Shouldn't we assume that both players are not going to accept the contract?

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

If the Rockets could get Patrick Beverley on a one-year, $2.725 million contract (let alone getting K.J. McDaniels on a one-year, $1.045 million contract, complete with restricted free agent rights and Early Bird rights on him next summer), I'm pretty sure the entire Rockets front office would be jumping for joy. They are unlikely to use cap room this summer anyway.

If a qualifying offer is not MADE, the player becomes an UNRESTRICTED free agent.

Of course, the assumption is that both players will reject it. But treating the extension of qualifying offers like an offer from an ordinary contract negotiation is just silly.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dallas, New York, Chicago, Cleveland and, of course, Houston are among the teams interested in Patrick Beverley (<a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21">@patbev21</a>), per sources.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/615952201417146368">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

What's the highest contract offer Morey would be willing to match for RFA Beverley?

I would say 3/18 (6M per).

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, thanks for the information.

10. hakeemthagreat

Bev in Chi would be scary and good situation for him. I still wanna see him back in Houston though. Why would Cleveland be interested again? Isnt Delladova already the white Bev???

Am I missing something????

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

Probably just his agent working up the hype. His job is to create as much demand for his client. The more money Bev makes the more money he makes.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I just don't see how Beverley ends up in Cleveland unless its for the Taxpayer MLE ($3.4 million starting salary), which I'd think the Rockets match. The Cavs will likely have a payroll well above the apron level, meaning that they CANNOT use the Non-Taxpayer MLE or acquire Beverley via sign-and-trade.

13. onreego

onreego Member

Lebron just pinned him down to tell him he wants him in Cleveland.

[​IMG]

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think he meant if they accept offers from other teams not the qo. In which case I'm guessing the rockets would need to hurry and make their free agent moves if they were going to match or just let them walk. Of course I could be wrong.

15. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I can really see the Mavs whiffing on the big name free agents and overpaying for Danny green and Pat. It would suck to see him in that Maverick uniform, but I just don't see how we can resign him, Smith and Brewer. We got the WCF without him, and its not his fault that he was injured but I think he is behind Smith and Brewer on the priority list.

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

we may have gotten to the WCF without him but we couldnt get past the WCF without him. Watching our old PG try to keep up with klay and curry was painful if anything.

17. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For some reason I think 3/15 and not a penny higher.

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Who wants Beverley more than the Rockets? Every other playoff (or playoff hopeful) team in the NBA has a PG better than him.

20. bigred77

bigred77 Member

It's gonna be between Houston and Dallas for Beverley.

Dallas would have to make an offer in the 7/8 million dollars a year range for the Rockets to let him walk. Bev fits very nicely next to Harden and I think the Rockets are now starting to value some continuity more and more.

I hope Beverley signs 4 yrs / 24 Million with team option on the 4th year to stay in Houston.

Same range of a deal I hope we can get Brewer to take.