1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverage industry douses tax on soft drinks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Shovel Face, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is the same thing. In a sense.
    I mean . . .The Sugar Tobacco folx are saying what I was talking about
    They say . .TOBACCO GOOD . . mar1juana BAD
    When in reality . . as far as I am concerned. . they both bad
    but hell .. I probably eat too much HFCS

I guess I feel hypocritical saying it is ok to make those illegal
    but DON'T TOUCH MY HFCS!!!

and vice Versa

See . . . to mean . . . The government is turning into a big ole money laundering scheme. . . .as way to funnel YOUR MONEY in to corporate hands

If it was really about your safety . .they would cap the amount of HFCS per product. . . forcing companies to find other ways to make them . .. or if it
    is truly that bad . . .make it illegal
    but
    this would be a more obvious governmental invasion than they are willing to admit too.

A Tax is a money making scheme . . . nothing more [as well as being invasive I guess]

Rocket River

2. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

"Girl Scouts have an economic, medical and moral imperative to dump junk food as their $700 million fund raising source….Girl Scout Cookies are high-calorie, high-sugar, high in saturated fat and nearly devoid of nutrition. Using young girls as a front to push millions of cookies onto an already bloated population further exacerbates an alarming [obesity] crisis, no matter how cute the uniforms are."

- Meme Roth, National Action Against Obesity

http://www.actionagainstobesity.com

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm all for the girl scouts selling something more healthy to raise money.

4. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

I'm not. That would be stupid. Stupider than Liberal stupid.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Nah, it would be awesome. I like healthy stuff and would much rather buy that than some garbage food. And I'd also rather support organizations which support healthy living.

6. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Nah, It would be lame. Liberal lame.

7. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Being healthy is lame?

You must be Mr. Olympia or something.

That or...

[​IMG]

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As would I
    However . .if the Move to health cuts their budget by 25%
    and a significant number of girls are now left out of the scouts
    I would not be happy with that

Rocket River

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just came out today:

Six in 10 Overweight or Obese in U.S.,
    More in ’09 Than in ’08
    Obese are more likely to have chronic conditions and are missing more daily activities
    by Elizabeth Mendes

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- More than 6 in 10 American adults (63.1%) were either overweight (36.6%) or obese (26.5%) in 2009, up a small but measurable amount from the 62.2% who were classified as overweight or obese in 2008. The shift is primarily because of fewer people reporting a normal weight BMI and more being classified as obese.

Along with collecting height and weight data of Americans, Gallup and Healthways measure healthy behaviors in the United States, including respondents' self-reported exercise and eating habits. In terms of physical activity, the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index specifically asks Americans on how many days in the last seven days they exercised for at least 30 minutes. Obese Americans (59.2%) are significantly less likely than those who are overweight (69.9%) or of a normal weight (73.8%) to report exercising at least one day per week.

The relationship between a high BMI and various health problems has been well-documented in traditional scientific literature, and Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index surveys from 2009 confirm these findings. Those who are obese are far more likely than those who are a normal weight and those who are overweight to report being diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and to have had a heart attack. Gallup has also previously reported a rise in diabetes during the past two years in the U.S., concomitant with an increase in obesity, as well as a clear relationship between diabetes and obesity across states.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/125741/Six-Overweight-Obese.aspx

What Shovelfail doesn't realize is his health insurance is already socialized. If he is in a group plan like the majority of Americans he pays the same premium as the fat dude in the next cubicle. But the fat dude is obese has diabetes and goes to the doctor for hypertension and kidney stones. So the insurance company raises the premiums to the company who raises the premiums to Shovelfail even though he's not obese.

So you see Shovel despite the fact that you are looking after yourself and being personally responsible, others lack of personal responsibility still end up costing you money.

But you appear to be happy with the fact that you pay the same as the fat dude though he costs the plan more and eventually costs you more.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This is insance, we need more Private Piles.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

how do you know what shovel looks like? he could be a massive shovel and digging that chick in that picture above.

12. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Funny, I see lack of exercise given as a reason for U.S. weight gain in recent years, not Mr.Pibb and Orange Crush. (that have been around in current form for decades)

I know Liberal BOOFs have a manic obsession taxing and condemning Girl Scout Cookies and everything else in their Nazi-like effort to create their Liberal, honkey utpoia, but I still believe in the land of the free, mofos.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sort of off-topic, but interesting to me personally..

Have you noticed how entertainment "stars" continue to become thinner and thinner while gradually becoming less attractive over time?

I think that's reflective of obesity in America. Fitness (or the appearance of fitness) is becoming more desirable than prettiness (face).

Another interesting I've noticed is a pretty solid correlation between GDP per capita and obesity levels. Same for divorce.