1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Better Call Saul Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Jan 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

You could take that even deeper when Chuck was first shown playing the piano to a metronome and kept going "out of time"...!

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not just the fact that he's now a lawyer with a very questionable educational background... its where he came from as being "slipping jimmy".

They've barely covered the extent of what he was caught up in... but you can infer that he was a career criminal, and was very good at being a criminal.

You don't just give that up completely by flipping a switch... and Chuck knows that. Chuck cannot separate the two, and is not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Chuck's mental illness is a manifestation of his years of harbored resentment toward Jimmy.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION:
    Why *exactly* did Saul have to leave town when BB ended?
    How was he implicated in anything WW was doing?

I know this isn't spoiler stuff but .. . .

Rocket River
    Catch me up a little bit

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I cannot wait until they get deeper into this
    Chuck is beyond resentful . . .he is outright vengeful it seems
    Seems is motivation to get well is just to ***** over Jimmy

Mike is Mike!
    Mike is the best
    His interactions with the dumbass drug dealer and the smartass drug dealer is gold
    There needs to be ALOT of Mike in this show

Rocket River

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was thinking the same thing. I couldn't remember why he'd still need to be in hiding. Unless those scenes slightly pre-date the very final BB episodes - which is possible.

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

On talking Saul they discussed this a bit... I think part of it is Chuck worked very hard to get where he is and "Slipping Jimmie" just got an online degree from Devry and Chuck resents that they would be on the same playing field.

The metronome shows how Chuck works hard at getting something right but things come easy to Jimmie.

Chuck also resents that "People sure do like Jimmy" and "he just has a way with people"

Thats just my take and it's based a little on what they were saying on talking Saul

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He had an integral role in their money laundering/stashing operation... he was the one who initially introduced Walt to Fring... their actions and relationship well went beyond the confidential lawyer-client privileges that would have prevented any sort of subpoena and/or eventual arrest.

Agreed however that there was not a warrant out for Saul's arrest at the time of them going after Walt.... so he technically didn't have to flee. He was just being proactive as there would be no way he could sever all ties from his involvement, and it eventually would catch up to him.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks.
    I was going on the Training Day mentality . .
    It's not what they know . . .What could they prove?

From the viewer's stand point it made sense
    but from the local [and somewhat clueless] local law enforcement
    Other than general dislike of Saul .. . they had nothing on him

Rocket River
    Maybe the big pointed headed black guy still starving in the hotel . . . .

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was also Skylar's lawyer... she would have likely gave him up as well.

11. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

i think there's an AMC.com season 1 extra that shows the brothers as children...Chuck's downturned smile as he watched his younger brother charm the adults in the family said it all.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

they had talking saul in week 2? I didn't see it in the guide--and I checked after the ep, and it wasn't playing.. am I confused?

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

No they had it after ep.1 and they talked about Chuck's resentment of things coming easy to Jimmie while chuck had to work very hard.

I think the piano scenes were an extension of that, Chuck working hard and trying to play a complicated piece of music while Slipping Jimmie is on a partner track.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The episodes aren't supposed to stand on their own, the story is too big for that and they focus on showing character development. Guess you would've rated many of BB's early episodes turds.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I understand what Saul and BB are. I'm in for the long haul and loved season 1 of Saul. But episode 1 was weak IMO, standing almost solely on the legs of nods to BB. Yet it's being acclaimed here as amazing (for the most part). It's as if Vince Gilligan could take a dump and y'all would put it in your art gallery.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm already enjoying this season a lot more than season 1. Kind of like Breaking Bad season 1 being slow...

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

BB season 1 was not slow.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's what makes the whole saga so sad from a viewer's perspective. That opening scene from Season 1 of BCS where he's sitting in his dingy apartment watching old tapes of his advertisements really hits home because that's when you realize he could have gone back to his old life without anyone batting an eye. Every single person that could have implicated him was either dead, or gone......he just didn't know it.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Skyler died? Huel died?

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

At the end Skyler was in the Clear
    Huel . . . was the weak link . . but he in the hotel room waiting for 2 dead cops to come back

Rocket River