1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beto vs Ted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 24, 2018.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

The young naive people showed up strong. Many will mature once they get in the real world.

mick fry and kwakmeister like this.
  2. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Decent points, but I can't dismiss the support that Beto got.

Nook likes this.
  3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This too. If Beto was a more centrist, traditional Southern Democrat (think Ann Richards) he could have taken Texas. He has the looks, ran a great campaign, busted his butt on the trail, and has the "likeability" factor out the wazoo. He also is very liberal.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We all know this is one of the best boards on the internet. That itch is not being scratched anywhere else.

5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yep. I might have supported Beto if I was 20-something (maybe). A few more decades of seeing the reality of human nature changes your political viewpoint, if your grey spaghetti functions correctly.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean there was a huge blue push. You think there will ever be a likable republican candidate after this administration, no. Beto may have lost but the closeness of this race is a sign for things to come.

7. Supermac34

I know several people that voted for Beto that don't actually know that he's Pro Life, Gun Control, BLM, Medicare for All. They are young and voted for the cool skateboarding guy that's handsome and has nice messages of hope in his commercials.

snowconeman22 and Corrosion like this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news …. but Cruz is nothing if not self serving. That leopard aint gonna change his spots.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

It is mostly that Beto is an extremely attractive candidate and Cruz is just unlikable.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Well, I mean young people are getting increasingly more democrat, also young people despise trump so as this goes along(and this administration will get crappier) young people will never switch to republican when they get older.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

America / Texas loses.

Does Canada or Cuba take this win? Asking for a friend.

AleksandarN, FranchiseBlade and HP3 like this.
  12. conquistador#11

13. Supermac34

I think people read too much into one-off events. Waves come and go. What seems like a certainty forever goes away later.

I mean, in 2008-2010, it looked like Democrats were going to control the US forever. Then the pendulum swung back, and the GOP controlled every branch of the US government, plus most governorship and state legislatures for the last few years. The Dems couldn't be in LESS power. Now it'll begin to swing back in some sort of way. Dems get the House...in two years MAYBE the President...then that President will such and the GOP will get the House back but lose the Senate.

My hope is the pendulum swings get shorter and focus more on the middle.

HP3 likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

fair enough, im hoping Trump's presidency can cause a paradigm shift in how people research and approach voting for the better candidates. As it is now republicans(and im not exaggerating) are extreme, their economic policies are going to cause crash, they are killing the environment, no healthcare, no good education, NET NEUTRALITY , and not to mention OUR PRESIDENT IS STILL BEING INVESTIGATED, even if your an independent its pretty clear to see which party is going to be damaging to this country.

15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I'm sure there are some of those.
    The data on "low information voters" shows pretty clearly which party has more of them.

Anticope, jboslett, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol travis county is not diverse

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Much different from the take your gubmint hands off my Medicare. I'm not racist yay Trump, clean coal, climate change is a Chinese hoax, Robert E Lee is a hero dopes.

HP3 likes this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

I have never supported a left leaning candidate although I have voted for a few local conservative Democrats(an oxymoron these days ;)) through the years. I think many of the young people will follow your path as they mature and realize their parents weren't so crazy after all.

BruceAndre likes this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Or...

Can’t believe I just used a SK tweet.

HP3 likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

Isn't austin included in that? point being, the big cities aren't backwards which is why I lol'd myself when some of you guys wanted to split the country in two in that one thread, not realizing the cities you love in Tx can all go blue.
    I like Beto. I like Crenshaw. nothing wrong with swinging.

#2580 conquistador#11, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    jcf likes this.