1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It's worth it because a family of four you nearly pay for it just from tickets and concessions on the first trip alone.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

used the MoviePass card to get the Stubs card? thats pretty awesome, didn't think the box office would accept it.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Update: Found a loophole around 3D Movies (atleast for my theater). If you have those electronic checkout machines where you can get your ticket through a machine instead of a teller, you can select 3D senior or 3D Child for $10 or under and Moviepass will fund the movies. I watched OZ 3D last week with movie pass, no extra charge.

4. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I've seen 24 movies since 1/31!!! :grin: 10 more movies and I reach the point where i'm essentially seeing movies for free the rest of the year.

5. Dave2000

lol, nice, some theaters actually check the ticket if its a child or senior tho, my parents can get away with it since they are seniors

37 (in a row??) check ins since 1/26 :)

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

dang, I'm slacking. I think I have 8-10 check ins.... I am at about par with my movie pass/face value. I am going a lot more frequently now though then before (3 movies last week vs the 1 i saw all of last month).

7. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Bump. Sign up by end of the day and you get one month free. There's still a $25 initiation fee but that may be worth it for some of you.

Thinking of signing up. What is the overall consensus? Good deal, or not?

8. VanityHalfBlack

Might have to do a triple feature today, need to see hangover 3,Star Trek2, and Furious 6... That's like almost 7 hrs of movie in one day, I'm gonna have to do it because I ain't got no other time until Superman comes out...

9. Dave2000

There's a $25 initiation fee? odd, didn't pay for that, I paid $10 for the first month, $30/month there after

I've had mine since Jan and abuse the hell out of it, plus it doesn't hurt that I'm unemployed, which fingers crossed, may end in the next week or so

as long as you go 3+ a month, you break even. Its about $10/ticket now for night shows, and don't have to worry what time of day to go. Sure their are the matinees and the Groupons to use, but if your a heavy movie goer totally worth it. Works well with your AMC Stubs reward program and Regal Cinema Membership

plus if you can "work" the system to get more than 1 ticket, just have to be creative and go to the box office office with multiple visits

EDIT: wow that sucks, $25 initiation fee, $5 to ship your card, and its the 13th month you get for free, and it went up from $29.99 to $34.99 in my zip code, that sucks... guess being an early adopter paid off for once

#89 Dave2000, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  10. glad_ken

The AMC Studio 30 on Dunvale now has movie showings with Spanish subtitles. Movie Pass shows all of the showtimes and doesn't differentiate between movies with subtitles or no subtitles, so check before you go if subtitles bother you. Get the Fandango App, it will tell you which showtime has Spanish subtitles.

11. glad_ken

I hate this new 24 hour wait between movies rule!!!!

"We’re also excited to introduce a new feature: The Countdown Clock. This clock counts down the time until your next available screening. You will still be able to go to a movie each day, but there will be a 24-hour period between screenings. Your MoviePass app has already been updated, and you will notice these changes the next time you see a movie."

I guess they had to do something to save money. I've seen over 80 movies so far this year.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I don't have it but it seems for sure people were abusing it. But now it will affect the people that didn't. If I get off of work and go see a movie Friday night, now I can't see that Saturday matinee because it's not been 24 hours.

13. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Too expensive

14. ILoveWhiteGirls

Rules and restrictions won't matter much if you still average 4 or more movies a month. How much is the pass like $30 or something and that means going at any time day or night. Unless??? You go to those ghetto Magic Johnson theaters and just use their rewards card and it'll only be 8 dollars a movie (Day-time) a showing. Day-man will win fighter of Night-Man.

15. Dave2000

BUMP

did a calculation of my usage, had it since mid Jan. 26, so I have reached just about 11 months, probably watch 2-3 more movies by Dec. 26 (ANCHORMAN 2 TONIGHT!!!)

checked in 96 movies total

$30 x 11 months = $330

$330/96 movies = $3.44

Not bad. Of course number is a bit skewed since I can recall maybe 2-3 times paying the difference for a 3D movie. I also did the check in for a movie days in advance so I can go at a later day with someone else, along with letting my dad use it a few times (checked in with my phone and used Fake GPS to check in from anywhere).

Is it worth it? Sure if you watch enough movies, of course I use my work around to even get more value out of it. The 1 viewing per 24 hour period REALLY sucks, but still manageable. They have upped the price since, charging $50 for a sign up fee and $5 for the actual card.

I checked to see what happens after my contract is up, they say I go month to month and my price stays the same ($30, they raised it to $35 for newer customers).

16. glad_ken

I received an email today from Moviepass and they're raising my rate to $35. Anyone else get that email?

Dear,

We would like to take a moment to thank you for your continued loyalty and support. As part of a select group of subscribers who were invited into MoviePass’s beta service, you played a critical role in helping us shape what MoviePass is today.

Since joining, you have been enjoying the service at a discounted rate which was set to expire at the end of your annual contract. On your next billing cycle, we will need to adjust your monthly rate to the retail price in your area of $35.

Your great feedback and support has helped us build this service, and we are looking forward to seeing you at the movies throughout the new year. If you have any questions, please email support@moviepass.com or call us at (877) 646-2892.

The MoviePass Team

#96 glad_ken, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  17. Dave2000

got that email last month, I'm ok with it, I still average going about 6 times a month.

still hate the 24 hour restriction between viewings, but still get my moneys worth

18. glad_ken

I'm tempted to upgrade to this package for the 3-D and IMAX movies, though I would like to see the 24 hour timer removed.

From AMC and MoviePass, a Film a Day for a Monthly Fee

LOS ANGELES — Netflix brought subscription-based movie and television streaming to the millennial masses. Spotify and Rhapsody did the same thing with music — pay once, listen to as much or as little as you want.

Now a major movie theater chain is trying to step onto the subscription gravy train as it seeks to reverse attendance declines, especially among young moviegoers. AMC Theaters, the No. 2 chain in North America behind Regal Entertainment, has agreed to a pilot partnership with MoviePass, a three-year-old company focused on letting people attend a movie a day for one monthly fee.

“It frankly wouldn’t be smart to ignore the success of subscription in other areas of media,” said Christina Sternberg, senior vice president for corporate strategy at AMC, which operates 4,959 movie screens.

In January, AMC theaters in Boston and Denver will begin working in concert with MoviePass to offer monthly subscription packages for $45 and $35. More cities will be added later. “The data will determine how fast we go,” Ms. Sternberg said. “Sometimes you first expand the test, sometimes you accelerate the deployment.”

MoviePass has tried to build a subscription service on its own since 2011, with limited success. The problem: Worried that embracing a subscription alternative will undermine traditional per-ticket pricing, the big chains — and some of their studio suppliers — have repeatedly swatted MoviePass to the side. AMC’s average ticket price increased 5.3 percent in the third quarter of this year, to $9.48.

But the musty exhibition industry is newly alarmed about a sharp drop in young ticket buyers. That audience has repeatedly turned up weekend after weekend, bingeing on high-margin soda, popcorn and candy in the process.

The Nielsen Company said last week that the moviegoing of Americans age 12 to 24 dropped 15 percent in the first nine months of 2014, compared with the same period a year earlier. Total attendance has declined about 5 percent so far this year compared with last, according to box-office analysts, because of fewer broad-appeal films and about a dozen more modest movies, like “Sex Tape” and “A Million Ways to Die in the West,” that missed the mark.

About 75 percent of MoviePass subscribers are 18 to 34, according to Stacy Spikes, the service’s chief executive and co-founder. “Millennials are consuming things differently, and that includes going to the movies,” Mr. Spikes said. He declined to say how many people currently subscribed to MoviePass. He noted, however, that MoviePass members tended to spend significantly more on concessions.

AMC, acquired two years ago by the Dalian Wanda Group of China for $2.6 billion, has emerged as a leader in challenging the exhibitor status quo. The multiplex operator, based in Leawood, Kan., has been aggressively updating its auditorium seats, rolling out enhanced sound systems and experimenting with marketing and ticketing.

Last month, for instance, AMC offered members of its rewards program, AMC Stubs, the chance to see “Interstellar” as many times as they wanted, for $19.99 to $34.99, depending on the viewing format. Now comes the MoviePass partnership. “The mandate at AMC is to break some eggs and make some omelets,” Mr. Spikes said.

For MoviePass, it has been a battle to link arms with any exhibition company, much less a giant like AMC. MoviePass was first introduced in San Francisco during summer 2011, but the subscription service drew the ire of theater owners, in part because they felt it was trying to go around them.

“We thought we had communicated with the right people and we hadn’t,” said Mr. Spikes, whose entertainment career has included executive stints at Motown Records, Sony Music Entertainment and Miramax Films.

MoviePass regrouped and tried to move forward by teaming with a ticketing voucher company, Hollywood Movie Money. But that workaround was clunky. Among other hassles, MoviePass subscribers had to print out vouchers at home, then present them to theater ticket takers.

For the last two years or so, MoviePass has been using yet another multistep method. People who sign up now receive a membership card that functions like a debit card. When members want to see a movie, they use a MoviePass smartphone app to check in at the theater. The app instantly transfers money — the price of a ticket — to the membership card. Members in turn use the card to pay for entry. Monthly membership costs $30 to $35, depending on location. That price covers one movie a day in a standard format.

The pilot partnership with AMC will allow MoviePass members an option, for $45 a month, to see films in any format, including Imax and 3-D.

Under the MoviePass business model, theaters get paid full price for every admission. To make money, the service depends on traditional subscription-service economics: More people pay than go.

Mr. Spikes said that, based on his company’s experience so far with members, “Some overuse; a lot underuse.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/b...moviepass-a-film-a-day-for-a-monthly-fee.html

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems like Sharing would be a problem, how do they prevent sharing of the pass?

20. PhiSlammaJamma

My guess would be that Movie Ticket pricing is relatively elastic. I would think someone interested in going to movies would not change their movie going habit based on even a $5 change in price. Those concessions are family killers, but there are ways around that.