1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best time to buy a BIG HDTV??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, May 3, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Thanks dude. You always save me. Is this aspect not important?

Edit: Are PS3's BD-Live compatible?

#82 Icehouse, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got a HTIB in a box. I love it. You may want to upgrade the speaker wire to 12 gauge or something as well as get a better wire for the subwoofer. Outside of that, this system is awesome.

The receiver is capable of working with other speakers so upgrading in the future won't be a problem. It is Dolby THX certified, and you can get it for less than $1000. It's 7.1, and supports all of the various digital and HD sound options.

Anyway it's the Onkyo THX-9100. The only drawback is that it doesn't come with a blu-ray or DVD player of any kind.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210399845&listingid=38132628&dcaid=18006

4. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

It depends on how much you are into that film and want to see the interactive features. It has zero effect on playing the disc and watching the movie. Essentially BD Live is another special feature.

If you get a HTIB try to avoid all in one units. If you keep your player and audio receiver seperate you won't have to start over with an upgrade. Generally speaking the center channels and sometimes the subs are pretty weak on HTIBs. You might start to get the itch for new toys and don't want to be stuck because you can't just switch it out.

Yes PS3s are BD Live compatible, and they can access your wireless network.

5. Icehouse

Thanks (and to everyone else as well).

I just bought this TV:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I'll add about the Onkyo system, I mentioned above. It is big, because the speakers are full size.

That's good and bad. It's good because full size speakers have full size sound. But depending on the size of your room, it can be hard to have them blend in.

Again the receiver will work with other speakers and components, so if you ever want to upgrade or change it will be easy.

I'm by no means an expert on home theatre sound systems, but I do know that from all the reviews and AVS forum stuff I read on HTIB systems it seems to be a good one. I'm very pleased with mine. It's also super easy to set up.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

I never use the BD Live. For audio, you can make a thread that will never end.

Audio could cost you less than 1k or it can go to 30k+
    depends on how serious you are about sound.

Good speakers can last much longer than a TV.

8. Icehouse

Thanks tinman (and to everyone else as well). I recall our last discussion about audio. I'm not "that serious" about sound, so I guess the Panasonic you suggested should do me just fine (since I will need a BlueRay too...to avoid always having to move the PS3). Is that the one you have?

9. tinman

Supporting Member

i actually have components.

i have a panasonic bluray player, pioneer receiver, and AR speakers and sub.

I recommended panasonic cause Hometheatermag says its good, plus I have one of their bluray players.

i guess you can shop around and get components too, it might be more complicated and pricier, but you get a nicer product, plus you can upgrade your components.

10. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

BD players are like ~250 now.

Just get the player and build the audio slowly so it is not to much to figure out at one time. Or just forget the audio for now.

TV then BD player, then reciever then 3 speakers for L/C/R (you can get them at the same time or later. The AVR can be useful even with no speakers at all) then subwoofer then surround speakers.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

12. Icehouse

Thanks man. I think I'm gonna get the Panasonic set now and do components later (I need some extra sound now but my budget is limited). I have two rooms that will eventually need surround sound, so when I upgrade to the component stuff I can put that in the other room. That will give me more time to research too so I don't have to keep bugging y'all.

Thanks again for real!!!

13. Icehouse

It was $1,997 on Amazon on Friday I believe. Best Buy dropped it to $1699 this weekend, and it looks like Amazon updated their price to match.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I have a friend who has this denon package. its nice.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4559624&Sku=D343-1010

just add your Bluray player.

15. Icehouse

Wow, it's back up to $2,250 today.

16. Icehouse

17. tinman

Supporting Member

18. tinman

Supporting Member

19. tinman

Supporting Member

at Fry's they had a LG and Samsung 720p 42inch Plasma for $599.

Great entry for anyone who wants a hdtv. And for the confused, 720p is just fine. 1080p is over hyped, not really noticeable til you get a much larger tv or you sit really really close.