1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best time to buy a BIG HDTV??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, May 3, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey,
    I guess I'll post this in this thread.

Anyone ever connect their PC to the HDTV via VGA?

does it look alright? what is the best resolution, can you set the PC to reflect the true resolution?

any recommendations?

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I love my 67" Samsung LED DLP TV.

Combine that with DirecTV HD, and it gets even better.

3. lalala902102001

I connect my laptop via VGA to a 46 inch HDTV sometimes and I do the same with a desktop PC via DVI to HDMI to the TV. The difference is HUGE. You can never get true HD via the VGA connection.

4. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Yeah it looks fine. You can set the res as high as the HDTV goes so probably 1366x768 for most 720P LCD's.

It looks fine, will be like a big shiny LCD monitor with an analog hookup.

5. fmullegun

I cannot even tell a difference. My monitors are DVI and my video card died making me use the analog inputs and it seemed fine.

6. lalala902102001

So the argument is to not waste $200 buying a video card and instead just use the cheap Intel chipset on the motherboard for video processing? :p

Just kidding -- I do seem to see a big difference, especially when I try to watch some HD quality shows from the computers.

7. fmullegun

No I need the vid card for gaming. But I could tell zero picture quality difference.

8. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I have the 61" and its terrific. Too bad Samsung went away from their LED DLP stuff. It was a great alternative to the flat panel craze, and the bang for the buck on the size was unparalleled.

LED DLP took the two biggest problems with DLP technology(having to replace a $250 bulb every few years and the expensive color wheel) and pretty much did away with them.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

well, since Plasmas are losing out to LCDs, they are on the cheap.
    The good thing is it's still a flat panel and you can hang it on the wall, plus usually if you get a great brand you get amazing picture quality. all of them are 1080p too.

Panasonic and Pioneer and Samsung are good. Also I heard the LG THX certified ones are great too

here's examples of some good deals

58in Samsung $1999
    http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=95183

50inch Panasonic $1389
    http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=95253

60inch LG THX certified plasma $2999
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4105912&CatId=3654

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

240hz should not be necessary, as 120hz already provides your 5:5 pulldown. It theoretically makes things smoother, but at a smaller scale, and I would think at that level, the smoothing technologies (trumotion, AMP) that interpolate frames would have more impact than 120hz v 240hz. AMP possibly could be improved on the newer set you posted, but so many people already love the 650 (same panel as 7/8) that you can be sure the PQ will not disappoint. The only problem is that the game mode doesnt allow picture adjustments, and any mode but game mode is supposed to have some pretty bad game lag.

The best times should be Black Friday, 1-2 weeks before Christmas, the Super Bowl, and the time period before the new models hit the floor. Last year no deal came on BF, though that was an exception. I ended up just waiting until Amazon gave me a good gold box deal. I can't find it now on google, but I'm sure if you search for gold box trick on the avsforum, you'll find it.

12. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Yeah I did it before. I don't have the best HDTV which is probably why it looked like crap.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

the 240hz tvs look great. I know its not that big of a difference, but I can tell that the smoothness of the motion is more natural.

On 120hz (if you turn on their smoothing options, it still looks unnatural to me).

I know someone with a 120hz Samsung TOC LCD and it's fantastic.
    If you have no money issues then get the 240hz. 60hz TVs are perfectly fine, I have one.

They have them on display at Frys (240hz) tvs. The LED TVs from Samsung.

14. Icehouse

I went to look at them today. Hell, I really can't tell the difference. I guess my vision sucks. :(

There also doesn't seem to be "that much" of a difference between the 52" and the 55" (size wise). I mean, I could tell one was bigger...but when I stood far back to see how the view looked, it wasn't a big diff.

Edit: I think I'll snag one of those 52" ones in the $1500 or $1600 price range. The difference between those and the 55" can be used for a stand or surround sound or something.

#74 Icehouse, May 23, 2009
    Last edited: May 23, 2009
  15. Jackie1221

Jackie1221 Member

so true

16. Icehouse

17. fmullegun

No. I would rather keep my 300 bucks and use the TV speakers rather than use that thing.

Get real speakers or just stick to the TV ones.

18. Icehouse

19. fmullegun

I wouldn't get anything with super small speakers. Look for quality of speaker first and "surround sound" second. Most of those little speakers are made of plastic and will sound about as good as the TV speakers but there will just be more of them.

For me the jump from the TV speakers to the little cube speakers is not ~$300 dollars. Some decent bookshelf speakers with 6.5" woofers or so and a budget AVR would not be much more.

20. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member