1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best time to buy a BIG HDTV??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, May 3, 2009.

1. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

No the original idea is to eliminate problems with telecine judder. That is why DVD and BD's are said to benefit most. They are not broadcast so they are still 24Hz.

Response time is responsible for ghosting. The blurring caused by sample-and-hold is reduced by the interpolation features, 120Hz itself will do nothing for bluring without the processing.

And again, my TV is a 60Hz 720P and it looks great. Actually I need to go make sure I have my PS3 set correctly. :eek:

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but you do notice that all the '120hz' tvs have some type of smoothing option that is usually cranked up.

if you have a non-120hz tv or a tv that doesn't accept 24 fps and you set it as 24fps on your ps3, you will get wavey lines.

3. fmullegun

Wow he is totally confused.

the electrical charge stuff he is talking about is the response time.

blurring is a function of sample-and-hold, the fix for that is to either strobing the backlight or using interpolation to keep from displaying the same image (the cause for bluring is with our eyes, not the TV)

refresh rate is the 120Hz spec and it helps to fit 24FPS and 60FPS content. (and allows for interpolation of frames)

4. fmullegun

yeah I mean that is personal preference. It reduces bluring without a strobing backlight.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

well you need to write the hdtvprofessor about it!
    hahaha
    :p

I've been happy with my 720p 60hz tv too, the only reason i would upgrade is that I don't have a flat panel and would like to wall mount my tv one day.

6. fmullegun

I will upgrade when I want a larger TV, and when I do it will be an LED for sure. I have an LED in my Thinkpad and the improvement is large.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the 120hz looks good if you have it set right a lot of times i see displays have that banked up big time and it just looks akward to watch almost "too real" but its actually becomes distracting to me personally.

i have a 1080p 60hz tv (dlp) and its just awesome I love it. a lot of times i have friends come over and comment how my tv seems to display sports, move etc a lot better than their hdtvs.

as for the best time usually around the super bowl a lot of stores have their biggest sales or best "0% interest" deals

8. fmullegun

I guess he is dumbing it down for people. He has like 3 different problems in there though, only 1 is directly solved by 120Hz.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So I'm assuming the Samsung you had me get is a 60hz? If so, I'm cool with that.......

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just asking again in case someone wants to actually reply...

11. lalala902102001

Honestly I would wait till the Christmas shopping season this year (if you can wait that long, of course). The sales of TVs have been miserable despite of the big price drops this year. I expect to see some ridiculous prices coming this November/December.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

do you have a bluray player? the money you save for not getting the 120hz, you can buy a bluray player

Samsung is a great brand, but if you choose Sony, you'll be happy too.
    The one I sent you the link too is a pretty good price.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

vizio is good for a cheap small lcd.
    i think you can get one at walmart for under $300

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nah, now that most tv's being made are 1080p, they have to scam you to upgrade those tv's with another cool number... :D

As for 50-52" being big enough, go to a store and stand the same distance away from a 50" tv and see. Or... using cardboard, cut out a 50" diagonal rectangle and stand it up or paste it to your wall (if you're going that route) and stand the same distance away. You're the only one that can decide if the screen size is big enough - you're the one watching it. I've seen people with monster tv's and they sit in some apartment barely 8 feet away from the tv. I don't get it, but if it works for them, it works for them... :D

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I have a Vizio 27" in my geek room that I'm watching right now that I bought about a year or so ago. It's probably among the better of the "non-top-tier" brands. The picture is pretty decent, but probably doesn't compare with a good Samsung, Pioneer, or Sony. But then it didn't cost as much as those, either.

17. lalala902102001

BTW has anyone checked out the new Samsung LEDs "Luxia" series? They are about 1 inch thin and have a 3 million to 1 contrast ratio and use 40% less electricity than most LCDs today. If I were to buy a 50+ inch TV, I would probably go for these (wait for the price drops at least).

18. fmullegun

Vizio 32" for 350 right now from Dell.com

19. fmullegun

Vizio offers less inputs and picture adjustments also. Unlikely to be missed by most people.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

dang that's cheap!