1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best time to buy a BIG HDTV??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Icehouse, May 3, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hey icehouse,
    you got the toshiba lcd right? you moving it to another room or did u get a bigger place?

2. tested911

tested911 Member

Whatever you do make sure you will buy the 120Hz version.. If your ever planning on having a blue-ray player you will need the 120Hz.. God I wish I knew that before blowing $900 on Black Friday.. For the longest time I was trying to adjust my video settings on my ps3 and was like wtf.. Where is the resolution I was looking for. Come to find out I needed the 120hz to take advantage.. Bummer

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You had me get the Samsung LNT4065F 40" 1080p LCD HDTV.

I'm getting a TV for the living room (getting wed in July). That room is 18 (W) by 16 (L). The couch is around 14 feet from the wall (on the L side). So I just assumed I needed a bigger TV than the 40 inch I got last time. Would that 50 inch do, or do I need a 60 or something?

4. tinman

Supporting Member

i think 50-52 is a great size. If you are happy with Samsung, I think you should stick with the same brand.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

no you don't need the 120hz for bluray.

I have a bluray player and I have 720p Sony.
    Works fantastic, looks great.

the 120hz and its 'motion' options are mainly meant for sports. if you crank it up too much, it the movie looks wierd, like they are moving too smoothly.

a regular movie is framed at 24 frames per second, you take a 120hz tv and crank up their options, then it will run at a really high frame rate and it would look too smooth.

the mass confusion is that most 120hz tvs accept a 24frames per second signal from the bluray player.

I know about the PS3 settings, and its not the 120hz option, its the 24 frames per second, you need to set yours to 60 frames per second cause your tv doesn't allow for that signal.

and this is only for movies, not games.

mass confusion for pretty much nothing, not many people can tell the difference from a movie running at 24fps vs 60fps

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/30/ps3-to-get-upscaled-dvds-1080p-24-sacd/

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it says that the samsung you linked has a usb 2.0. does that mean that i could run a cable from my pc and play a movie from my hard drive? or is it more complicated then that?

7. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

I bought mine 2 years ago and they have not dropped in price just slightly increased picture quality. But since the broadcast quality is always the limiting factor it does not really matter.

8. fmullegun

120hz is good because it is divisible by 24 60, and by 30. So no correction is needed for either format. I doubt you would be able to really tell the difference but there it is.

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

FYI, I have a 40-inch Samsung with 120hz, and oddly enough a buddy of mine has a 40-inch non-12hz Samsung, and we both bought the things around the same time (around 1 year ago).

So I'm in a position to say that, to me, 120hz ONLY makes a difference on blu-ray playback and SOME 360/PS3 games. So if you don't play lots of blu-ray and/or lots of next-gen games, save your money...

10. fmullegun

probably because the 60Hz TV that he has is forced to convert the 24 FPS signal of the movie to 60. 3:2 pulldown

11. tinman

Supporting Member

The 3:2 pulldown built in the player or tv is usually good enough on a namebrand tv.
    Certain plasmas accept the 24fps signal just fine

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Oh, 50 or 52 is big enough for that room? I like the link you sent me if that size is good enough.

What's up with all this 120HZ talk? I thought you just had to get 1080 to be ok with Blueray and PS3 games. Confused..... :confused:

13. fmullegun

I agree but that is the advantage of 120Hz, no 3:2.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Any suggestions for a low cost 22"?

15. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah, but the 120hz tvs come with the settings to jack up their 'motion' smoothing, which always is defaulted to max and when you see it displayed at the stores, it's maxed out which makes the movies look like video.

so the consumers see that and they crank up that setting. the original intent of the 120hz was to decrease ghosting and blurring on fast moving shows like sports.

I guess it's a nice option to have, but i don't think it detracts on your bluray experience or video game experience at all.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

it's confusing, but its only for lcds. lcds have a disadvantage for fast moving things like sports, sometimes pictures get blurry. nowadays lcds are so good, you can't tell they have that problem. plasmas do not have that issue at all, that's why you never see them advertise 120hz etc.

if you are good with what you have now, then you don't need to spill out extra cash for it.

here's a good article about it:
    http://www.hdtvprofessor.com/HDTVAlmanac/?p=477

120 Hz: Does It Matter?
    Posted by Alfred under Display Technologies , HDTV LCDs

One of the “hot” new features for LCD HDTV is a 120 Hz refresh rate. Okay, it’s not all that new; I wrote about it in my CES coverage last January. But the products that include this feature are starting to show up on the shelves in even greater numbers, so I figure it’s time to review the technology.

Most LCD panels refresh the image 60 times a second. This is fast enough to eliminate any image flicker for most viewers. The problem is that the liquid crystal molecules take time to react to the electrical charges in each cell, and you can get motion blurring between frames. By writing the image to the screen twice as often — 120 times per second – it causes the liquid crystals to respond faster, and motion blur is decreased.

Many LCD TV manufacturers are also pulsing the backlight in sync with the image refresh rate. For those of you who are into the club scene (or who remember the disco days), you are familiar with the “freeze frame” effect of a strobe light. Flashing the light freezes the image, further reducing motion blur.

As a result, some LCD HDTVs with 120 Hz refresh rate create fast moving images that look nearly as sharp as a CRT, which still is the gold standard for smooth motion on the screen. Most viewers would have a difficult time telling the difference between the two.

There’s also one added benefit to 120 Hz. Some devices — such as some Blu-ray DVD players — now put out 1080p signals at 24 frames per second (fps) instead of the typical 30 fps. This slower speed matches the rate of film used in movies. Until now, the 24 frames have had to be shuffled in order to fit the 30 fps used by standard video signals. The solution is an awkward stutter-step called “3:2 pulldown” which involves taking three images of the first frame, and then interleaving them with two images of the next frame, and then three of the next. This can result in an artifact that results in jerky motion that has been dubbed “judder“. The advantage of a 120 Hz refresh rate is that it handles the 30 fps of standard video easily — just show each frame four times — as well as film’s 24 fps; show each frame five times. The fact that it is an even multiple of both rates makes for less video processing and a better image quality.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Ever seen some displays in a store where CG cartoons like Wall E look super realistic?

That's not blu-ray, but rather how the TV refreshes the image.

You can't make it look that good on a 60hz screen.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

That's fine for CG stuff, but when you watch a regular movie at the store with their smoothing option cranked up it doesn't look right.

the only good thing is that you can turn it off and you can accept the 24fps signal. but as mentioned before, you really can't the difference unless you have two tvs running side by side with the same material.

then ask yourself, is it worth that extra $300 or more?

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Yeah, sometimes live action movies look like daytime soap operas. I still think it's a cool option to have.

BTW, any hot deals on 32" TVs? They average around 400-500. I'm looking from one in the $300 range.

20. Fatty FatBastard

I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

I still watch my programs on this bad boy. As long as it works, I see no need to replace it.

[​IMG]