1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Team in the NFC is?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LouisianaRocket, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Absolutely.

Boys followed by Eagles (not far) and Giants (not far)

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure yet but I know its one of the top 3 teams from the NFC East.

Cowboys, Eagles or Giants all have the talent to go all the way.

Saints, Packers and others are just a step behind those 3 mostly based on the D's not being quite as tough.

It's going to depend on who gets on a roll at the right time to finish the job.

Wake me up when the Cardinals win a playoff game. :rolleyes:

4. Chamillionaire

cardinals, saints... wow. good luck with that louisiana.

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

They didn't look like it last night, but I'm still gonna say the Vikings. I would say the Cowboys, but everyone knows they can't wine a playoff game.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Dallas, and it's not close.

Packers, Saints and Eagles are the next tier, imo. Maybe the Giants as well, though I'd put them a hair behind those three. I think the Cards will win their division based on how awful it is, but they don't have nearly enough to compete with the elite.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So the Cardinals beat the 49ers and they're the best team in the NFC? :confused:

Cowboys, Saints, Giants, Eagles, Bears, Vikings, and Panthers are all way better than the Cardinals.

Also funny how this is all contingent on the Cards getting their act right on offense, how long have they been trying to do this? It's honestly like saying if the Texans can get their O-Line right, they'll be the best team in the AFC.

8. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

To those of you who say the Saints won't be able to win big without a defense, you're absolutely right... except for the fact that the defense has been overhauled big time. They were definitely down right awful last year, so Mickey Loomis did an outstanding job bringing in talent all over the D.

We finally a middle linebacker for the first time since the Dome Patrol years when we traded for Vilma, and he was a stud against the Bucs. Then we went out and drafted Sedrick Ellis, and opposing coaches (namely Gruden and Kubiak) have raved about how well he has played. In the second round we picked up Tracy Porter, who was seemingly a no name, but he quickly shot up the depth chart and started Sunday and made a buncha nice plays, plus he never got beat deep which was our biggest problem. Oh, and Jason David is our friggin 6th corner now, when everyone's healthy.

But the biggest addition to the defense to me looks like Ed Orgeron, the new defensive line coach. The Saints have always had talent on the ends, but for some reason, in the past, the pass rush lacked. Not any more. Charles Grant, the Fresh Prince of the NOLA, and Bobby McCray constantly hassled Garcia Sunday, which makes it much easier on the secondary.

Oh yea, the Saints also still got that same sick offense they've had the last two years, except Brees has a TE he can dump down to again, which he loves, and the continued progress of Reggie. But it's not about the talent on offense for New Orleans, it's all about the great chemistry Brees has with everyone, Brees' ability to never take sacks, and the offensive genius that is Sean Payton.

Dallas can't beat the Saints, haven't in forever, and quite frankly, we hope that we get to play IN Dallas in January so Saints fans can take over Texas Stadium one last time.

9. The Cat

I think the Saints have a terrific team, but I always get a kick out of statements like this. What in the world do any matchups before the past couple years (when the current versions of the Cowboys and Saints took shape) have to do with anything? Different coaches, different players, different everything. It would be the equivalent of me saying "the Rockets can't beat the Mavs" based on results from years and years back. Teams change.

Yes, the way the Saints demolished the Cowboys in 2006 has a little relevance, but anything more than that -- no. It's also worth pointing out that that was in Romo's first year as a starter, before the emergence of Marion Barber, etc.

10. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

You're right, it really doesn't have anything to do with anything. I just passionately hate the Cowboys and love reminiscing some of those games. Although, I really do hope they would play in Dallas again, because probably the two most fun games Ive ever been to were Saints wins in Dallas and Id hopefully make the trip for another.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

All you guys are on crack...Dallas is the best in the NFC...Period, end of story...

Romo is a great QB and wins in the playoffs are coming this year...Dallas is balanced on both sides of the ball and have so much talent/depth...The penelties killed us this past weekend, otherwise, we would have scored more points...My list for the best in the NFC...

1) Dallas
    2) Eagles
    3) Giants
    4) Chicago
    5) Green Bay

12. YourSecretLover

Houston Rockets!

/thread

13. Asian Sensation

Cowboys by far.... as long as they don't implode. I like the Saints a lot this year so they should be 2nd best.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

People forget Dallas was better than the Giants last year, 2-1 against them and won the division, the Giants happened to get on a roll at the ideal time and nipped them in the game that most mattered. I wouldn't say the Giants were better than NE either, they just happened to be in the last game however. And let's face it, the Giants wins versus Dallas, GB and NE were toss ups whose outcomes turned on single plays. That is no knock to the Giants, it is a credit to them they got in position to beat 3 super teams, 2 on the road, and made the plays to do it.

IMO the best 4 teams in the NFC are Dallas, GB, NYG and Phily. I would be shocked if any them were not in the playoffs (barring losing their QBs). I do think Dallas has the best combination of a balanced offense and fierce defense. Those other teams have more questions, but they are solid.

Chi, NO, AZ and Carolina are all next tier. Besides, why no mention of Carolina? They beat a Superbowl favorite on the road. Chicago too, very impressive. If you ask me which of these two could break into the top realm of the NFC, I say Chicago and Carolina. Defense and ball control--things AZ and NO lack to get through the really good teams consistently.

And of week 1 losers getting in the mix? Sorry I see none in the NFC. Indy, SD, Jville and maybe Cleve will bounce back, but I don't see much hope in any of the NFC week 1 losers. I guess I might put Minny at Cleveland's level (would not quit on them yet)--the rest of the fans of those teams should ask for their season ticket money back.

#34 Desert Scar, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  15. LouisianaRocket

The Cowboys haven't beat the Saints in 12 years. :rolleyes:

42-17

16. The Cat

Yeah, those wins over Quincy Carter and Dave Campo and such have a whole lot of relevance to what's happening in 2008, don't they?

And spare me with the scoreboard mess, I hate the Cowboys and would cheer for the Saints if they played Dallas head to head.

17. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

It's funny that all the teams that don't have any hardware or history or success always boast regular season games as great accomplishments... :rolleyes: Why do y'all do that?

18. LouisianaRocket

hell if our teams spent a billions of dollars on offensive lines and had the ability to trade Tony Dorsett and be able to get Aikman, Irving, and Emmit because of it... I am sure most of our teams would have 2-3 championships as well...

And why do Cowboys fans always bring up hardware when they are in middle of a 14 year playoff drought? I wouldn't be talking about championships when my team can't even muster up 1 playoff win. :rolleyes:

19. LouisianaRocket

I guess you forgot the Saints head coach is the one that made Romo who he is. it has a lot of relevance since the Saints are 1-0 during the Romo era.

20. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

That O-Line of the 90's of Mark Tuniei (undrafted), Mark Stepnoski (57th pick in 89), Nate Newton (Undrafted), Erik Williams (70th pick in 91) and Kevin Gogan (206th pick of 87). Yeah, they spent MILLIONS on that o-line. :rolleyes:

Wait....the Cowboys got Emmitt, Aikman and Irvin because Tony Dorsett signed as a free agent to Denver!? That's news to me. It's the first time in NFL history that a team got draft picks for a player signing as a free agent somewhere. :rolleyes: