1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Sci-Fi TV Shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Real Shady, Mar 21, 2010.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm looking to buy a box set of a sci-fi tv show but I'm not sure what I should get. I was thinking either Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, or Firefly, but I can't make up my mind so I'm calling on the nerds of the BBS to help me out. How would you rank your favorite sci-fi tv shows of all time?

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

BSG. Firefly was around only long enough to get started, while SG-1 had no real end game and went on for a dozen some odd seasons.

3. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

Babylon 5.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Firefly was great just so dam short. Doctor Who is also pretty darn good IMO.

5. worzel gummidge

Of the shows that existed in the 2k's, Lexx is the only one where I've watched more than just couple of episodes of.

Pre-2005 Doctor Who was good.

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

The correct answer is...

[​IMG]

Just make sure you follow it up with "Serenity".

7. Mute3427

Mute3427 Member

All three you listed are good, however I would choose either BSG or SG1.

BSG is extremely gritty and story drive. It has less stand alone episodes than SG1, but doesn't quite cover the amount of content that stargate does. If you get into SG1 it ultimately opens up 2 other series and a couple movies.

Both shows have their merits. It probably simply comes down to time. If you have the time to watch 200 episodes, get sg1. If you're looking for a more compact show get BSG.

Firefly is great, but like others have said it's just too short.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

I would rank my all-time favorite sci-fi shows like this:

Star Trek DS9
    Firefly
    Farscape
    Battlestar Galactica
    Stargate SG1

There are a lot of other sci-fi shows I've enjoyed, but I don't have the energy to list them all. These are my favorites.

9. conquistador#11

the twilight zone. Along with seeing relatives and eating all the food during thanksgiving and Christmas, the twilight zone marathon is one of the reasons I love those holidays. :grin: It should be ranked no 1.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I second this motion!

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Firefly was great but way short...

I recommend Dr.Who, the best sci-fi show I have ever seen and its still running... Start from the new ones called Dr.Who 2005.... You wont regret it.....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSQgysXVHEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSQgysXVHEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Firefly was excellent, but the new Battlestar Galactica was considered by many people to be the best serial drama on television of any kind during its run. It really was excellent. There is a new series that has just recently started on the SyFy channel that is a spin off series of BSG called Caprica. I have been watching that, and it is quite excellent also.

Surely you are not limited to only one series, are you? You could not go wrong with both BSG and Firefly, both of which were original programming on the SyFy channel.

Do you read books by any chance? The book is always, 100% of the time, better than the movie or TV series, regardless of whether it is science fiction or anything else. If you are interested, there are some amazing science fiction novels that will transport you away to a degree that a TV show never can.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

The Twilight Zone.............................

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'll most likely get around to watching several of these shows, but I'm just trying to decide on what to watch first.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I think I'll go ahead pick up a box set of BSG on amazon. 200 episodes for SG1 is a bit much, and I've already seen Serenity, which I did enjoy, so I know how Firefly is going to end.

Does anyone consider Lost Sci-Fi?

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Everytime someone brings up Sci-Fi tv, I bring up Farscape. Here we go again.

Farscape was awesome. The most distinguishing characteristic of the show was that it was just plain fun and unpredictable. The plot twists would be wild, and crazy and sometimes surreal. At the same time the show was good at building up a storyline and paying it off with excitement and drama. It had a bunch of sympathetic characters and one iconic villain.

The show isn't perfect, there are some stinker episodes (when your show straddles the line of craziness, camp and melodrama some eps just aren't going to work out) and the acting, aside from the two leads and the villain were a bit hit or miss. But the show was always imaginative and fun.

And another good thing about Farscape was that it was a fully fleshed out and satisfying series. For example Firefly had 14 episodes before it was cancelled and it seemed like it was just getting good when it was axed. They did the Serenity movie, but I always got the feeling that there was so much more they could have done with the material. Farscape on the other hand did 88 episodes and had a 4 hour mini-series to wrap everything up. They were able to play out a number of big time storylines and cap the series off with a satisfying finale.

So yeah, I kind of like Farscape.

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

The Twilight Zone and The X Files. Period.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The first few seasons I would have struggled with this question, but with the events of the last couple of seasons it is hard not to classify it as Sci-Fi.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I almost hate to recommend Firefly and Serenity, only because when you finish the series, you'll be thinking to yourself; "why did it have to die?" It is the 1986 Houston Rockets; a show that could have easily been a sci-fi dynasty, cut out at the knees before it even started.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Start out with Firefly and Serenity. You won't believe how good it is. Too bad it only lasted one season. There has never been anything like it before or since. Then go with either Babylon 5 or Star Trek DS9.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Firefly is great, but as someone else commented, it unfortunately lasted less than 2 season. Nevertheless its an awesome and fun series, with great characters and stories.

BSG was one of my favorite shows on TV. The story and plot development was UNBELIEVABLY good. The show/story is written like LOST (tho much better IMO) in that its one long continuing story and is not episodic as say sg1 or the twilight zone etc. The action, drama and writing of the first two season is in my opinion up there with, HBO's The Wire as best series in television. Unfortunately I found the writing and story development in the last season of BSG horrible, especially the ending. In fact the ending sorta ruins the series for me, (much like evangelion the anime) but i still love the first couple seasons.