1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Ridley Scott Movie?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 16, 2018.

?

Best Ridley Scott Work?

1. American Gangster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Thelma & Louise

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Gladiator

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Alien

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Black Hawk Down

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  6. The Martian

5 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. Prometheus

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. Legend

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Blade Runner

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  10. Other (Specify)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

no thelma and louise means no brad pitt, which also means no meet joe black, the greatest cinematic portrayal of the angel if death of all times. all times!

vinsensual likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I honestly thought gladiator was pretty forgettable. Bad editing of action sequences. Tiger face, spinning wheel, sword glints in sun, grunt, blood spurt. Understand? Well, no, not really, Ridley.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Gladiator, not close

fallenphoenix likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Blade Runner is my pick, of course (surprise!), but looking at Ridley's body of work makes it impossible not to be impressed (unless you're dead).

My list? I'll keep it to 10:

Blade Runner
    Alien
    Legend
    The Duellists
    The Martian
    Someone to Watch Over Me
    Black Hawk Down
    White Squall
    Black Rain
    Gladiator

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Interesting to watch the votes play out. My top three are the lead vote-getters. I figured BHD would get more votes.

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Alien was the first of it’s kind.

Gladiator is 2 and Bladerunner 3 for me.

fallenphoenix likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Truly angelic transformation from an old man to an infant to an egg cell.

Teh Benjamin Buttons.

Jontro likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tony did just one or two genres while Ridley would do many.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Whaaaat? I disagree.

Top Gun (Romantic Drama), Beverly Hills Cop II (Comedy), Days of Thunder (Action Romance), Crimson Tide (Suspense), True Romance (Action Romance), The Last Boy Scout (Buddy Comedy), Enemy of the State (Political Thriller), The Fan (Thriller), Deja Vu (Science Fiction), Spy Game (Spy Thriller), and Man of Fire (Revenge)...

The dude covered pretty much the gamut in my opinion, outside of on the nose period piece and futuristic sci-fi. Let's not forget that he also killed himself before he could make more films due to having cancer. He was working on an adaptation of "Tom Mix and Pancho Villa," a history piece for a decade before his death. He was also working on a remake of "The Warriors."

Spy Game and Man of Fire are some of the most underrated films in history, in my opinion. Meanwhile, Ridley has made some really bad films, like Someone to Watch Over Me, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Robin Hood, GI Jane, and The Counsellor.

To each their own. I just like Tony's movies a lot more than I do Ridley's.

Rizzy likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

I've never seen the director's cut and really liked the regular version. Now I'm excited seeing the director's cut.
    I voted Prometheus just to troll everyone.
    although, every time Promethues is on I'll watch it and I never get bored. I just think of all the possibilities with just a little more care for the story line.

11. Svpernaut

Fans of Alien will be more forgiving than most movie goers in regards to Prometheus, which is fine. Alien: Covenant was far from perfect too, but they are both entertaining if nothing else. The same goes for movies like the Predator series. It's alright to want to see more of them, but that doesn't mean each one will be great, or even good for that matter.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

BHD, not even close

13. TheresTheDagger

Black Rain very underrated movie. Surprised its not on the list.

I voted Black Hawk Down because it really felt like a gritty combat film. No punches pulled. No action scene felt fake or gratuitous, incredible score, and the cinematography was fantastic (especially the scenes of the helicopters en route to Bakara Market). As mentioned earlier an excellent ensemble cast and yet managed to feel like the story was the main thing, not the actors.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  14. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Just have to point out it's "Man on Fire" only because I've watched it at least 20 times and agree it's criminally underrated. Crimson Tide seems gets overlooked as well. Denzel dominated both those roles.

Ridley gets a shout-out for Matchstick Men. Gladiator is a good movie but I think it's overrated - Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is the superior movie IMO. The Martian was alright but felt boring compared to reading the book. I've never seen BHD but it's in my queue now.

Voting Alien because it defines sci-fi horror/suspense and without it no Aliens.

CometsWin likes this.
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

A powder puff game...

Please elaborate.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The directors cut is great especially if you did like the theatrical cut (which honestly yet to meet someone who has) but curious what your thoughts would be after watching the directors cut.

My major gripe about the film I didnt feel Bloom commanded enough of a presence to be the lead.

17. Svpernaut

Here's a GIF of the actual crash.

[​IMG]

Commodore likes this.
  18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised there isn't more love for American Gangster. I voted Gladiator but AG was a very close 2nd for me. Denzel is just a powerhouse in that movie.

"That's ALPACA. You BLOT that ****! YOU BLOT IT!"

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Voting's shaping up pretty much where I rank the movies, except The Martian, which, while I enjoyed it, was poorly cast with Matt Damon as he doesn't really do funny the way it's portrayed in the book. I was hoping they would cast Chris Pratt instead.

My rankings:

1. Gladiator
    2. Blade Runner
    3. Alien
    4. Black Hawk Down
    5. Legend

I think a lot of people may have forgotten how utterly perfect the tone of Legend is. It's ethereal and gossamer. It's a true fairly tale.