1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Restaurant in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Oct 2, 2014.

1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This man speaks the truth!

My favorites:

Kasra - Probably overall and definitely best Mid Eastern cuisine.

Marks - For fancy American.

Da Marcos - Best Italian

Himalaya - Best Indian, but the owner is a f'n douche and the service absolutely blows

El Tiempo - Best fajitas

Captain Toms - Best oysters

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I wouldn't waste your money there if I were you. We went about 2 weeks ago and it's more of a bar full a bunch of skinny jeans and sleeveless vests, the place is dirty and the menu was like one or two plane white sheets of copy paper, and there wasn't much to choose from. The soup was bland as hell too. I've had a better Ramen dish at Soma, much better.

3. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Uchi is the place to be [for some crowds].... not the place to eat the best food in Houston. This had to be said

4. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

That's because Tiger Den is known for its tantanmen or dandan noodles which is more Chinese. There are different types of ramen noodles. They also serve the thin noodles at Tatsuya in Austin. I'm not sure why putting MSG into something is cheating. Is nature cheating by having MSG inside tomatoes or cheese? If you want tonkatsu ramen then I think Kata Robata is the only decent place in town so far. Ramen Jin is pretty terrible but their cold sesame seed noodles are decent. Jinya Ramen should be opening up soon and I think Samurai Ramen will as well. Both are West Coast chains but they're pretty good. Nothing compared to Totto in New York and Tajima in San Diego though. The food trend will hit Houston in full force soon and it'll be exciting to see what the city adds to it. Houston style crawfish beats other towns hands down.

5. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Not my fav but I tried Eddie Vs on Friday night and they have some damn good seafood!

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My best hole in the wall spot is still House of Kabob.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I went to a Brazilian steakhouse for the first time recently and I'm craving MOAR. I've experienced Texas de Brazil though not the one in Houston, any other suggestions?

8. Buck Turgidson

What is the best place...THE BEST PLACE...for dim sum or a great asian Saturday/Sunday afternoon meal? Don't care what part of town....

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Chilis, Applebee's and Olive Garden.

And red lobster.

10. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Chama Gaucha is solid. Not sure on pricing as I was with a vendor, but the food was excellent. Wait staff is a bit too intense and clingy though.

11. Poloshirtbandit

you forgot Grand Lux

12. 713

713 Member

I thoroughly enjoy going to the Chuck E Cheese in Sugar Land. I believe it's by first colony mall. Their spicy pepporoni pizza is to die for.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'll never understand why people get seafood at a steakhouse, and I think Eddie Vs gets by by name/location only. Terribly overrated. The 60 year old man trying to smooze the 20 year old girl scene at the bar is worth admission though.

I also used to love the Grand Lux roast plate. The place has dived big time. Just horrible.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It's interesting that you say that because I was telling someone about the steak I had at Eddie V's the other day and they were wondering why I got a steak at a seafood place. I always thought Eddie V's was a seafood place myself but their filet mignon is delicious. It's like pure butter.

My absolute favorite meal is the beef kabob at Darband. There isn't a better plate of food that I've ever had.

That being said, Kasra has a damn close version and their overall menu is much better, so I'd have to put their restaurant as a whole on the top of the list. I've never taken anyone there who didn't love it.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

probably because there's a stick of butter cooked onto the steak

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

In a year I'll reevaluate this thread... Currently working with one of my current clients to go in together on a new concept.

Be ready clutchfans.... It's cumming

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Probably so... Fine by me.

18. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Yea I understand they are like more like Chinese noodles, but I don't understand why they would do that. Apparently they have their own machine in the back that makes their noodles. I feel like im eating a bowl of like beef noodle soup when I eat their ramen. I don't mean like naturally occurring MSG, I just mean straight up dumping the powder in the broth. The reason why putting MSG is cheating is because to make true ramen broth its time consuming and it costs more money because of the bones they have to buy. If you just throw MSG in there they don't have to take hours to make it or have to buy bones. Let me just throw MSG and thats it done. Same thing with Pho you can tell the difference going to a place that actually boils the bones vs a MSG place. The actual one tastes so much more clean.

My favorite ramen has to be Daikakouya in LA, second place would have to be Ippudo in NY and in HK. I just want one of these chains coming to Houston, they are never going to come.

No doubt noone can beat our crawfish here.

Well thats good to know its just a hipster ramen bar then. I actually tried to go there once and got a flat tire driving around trying to find a parking spot, didn't end up going.

19. Konquest123

Konquest123 Member

Golden dim sum in bellaire

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz how this thread turned into fajita talk for a while... I agree with a lot of what's been said, except El Tiempo just doesn't do it for me. Good place, but not that great.

Masaraff's is a place I'd skip.

Forgot about Zelko. Miss Feast. Underbelly - if you don't like something try something else on the menu. There's always something good to be found.

Glad to see those Moontower wieners show up, it's one of maybe 5-6 places in Houston where I took my first bite and had an, "oh ****, this is insanely good" moment. The only other diver-type place I've had the reaction at is El Jarro Cafe on Gessner.