1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Restaurant in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

Only if your expense account takes the crew to La Haciienda.

Dammit, you can come too.

And don't think I won't track you down at Stubbs next Saturday....

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think El Tiempo is good but I don't get the hype about it. I think a lot of these inside the loop places get overrated. Lopez on 59 has fresher food than El Tiempo and the drinks are nearly as good in my experience though it's more of a family place so the atmosphere is different.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Taco's: Tierra Caliente
    Fajitas: Teotihuacan if you'll be drinking Margaritas with them. Otherwise, go to the only two Ninfas actually still run by the Ninfa family: the Navigation Ninfas and the one on Memorial and Dairy Ashford (which gives the same quality but with MORE meat!)
    Indian: Lots of types, but man you cannot go wrong with Himalaya
    Chinese: Even more types, I won't even bother breaking it down, I will throw down internet punches over Chinese food.

For fine dining, I agree with Provisions and Oxheart, but not Uchi (seriously go eat sushi in other cities, it's very good but nowhere near top notch). If you're looking to spend <$50 per person, I love the taste and ambience at Mockingbird Bistro. If you're going to spend <$35, try Zelko's. Both those places are very underrated in my book.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You can still get a decent meal at some of the Ninfa locations, but NONE of them are run by Ninfa Lorenzo's family. If you want Tex Mex from her family, you have to go to El Tiempo.

5. buck711

buck711 Member

Don't forget the Willie burger. Love the Moon Tower Inn.

6. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I used to think it would be stupid to eat at uchi. Crazy prices, small portions all hype. Then I ate there on the companies dime.

I feel sorry for people who don't get opportunities to try food at this level of creativity because of price.

That above line sounds odd. I wish food like this was readily available to everyone. It truly is an experience. Combinations you would not know to try.

I think there was once sauce that was incredible. The server said the guy takes like 5 lbs of some leafy herb to make an ounce or two of the sauce.

If you find food network entertaining and wondered what all those sauces, foams, exotic cute of meat and fish taste like try Uchi at least once.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I second Zelko.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Looked at the first page, and proceeded to google 'Oxheart' and its menu.

2 six course meals (both $68?) composed of fruits and vegetables? I hope this doesn't sound rude, but how can you justify paying that much money to eat fruits and veggies - regardless of how creatively prepared they are?

9. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I don't believe Coltivare was mentioned, they have a lot of very interesting and flavorful food.

Something new is BirdHouse on 11th. Not fancy at all, but best fried chicken in the city for sure and some of the best southern sides I have had since Willie Mae Scotch House.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

^ Just looked at the latter option of the two, and saw that there was fish and duck. But even then, that doesn't seem ultimately justifiable.

11. Mr. Clutch

Went to Coltivare yesterday and enjoyed it.

Just ordered a bunch of small plates.

Next time pizza

12. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Mentioning this one cuz no one else has: Goode Company Seafood, have only been there twice but hands down best seafood I've had in Houston

13. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Also union kitchen- or something like that - in the Heights

14. aggie87

aggie87 Member

that captains chicken is out of this world good....

Uchi for the creativity, ambience and dining experience...

three way tie between Zelko's, Underbely,or Kata Robota if we are just talking actual food

15. Mr. Clutch

Hugo's and Caracol?

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

agreed was about to type that. Caracol has a nice bar scene too.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I was there for a private party on Thursday and I didn't really like it, like at all. I get really angry when someone thinks putting a sweet sauce on a steak will enhance the flavor. It doesn't, and I really wasn't down with the chef putting my ONE fried shrimp in my swirled potatoes either. The ambience was nice, but I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the meal.

#77 LonghornFan, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Do you mean Liberty Kitchen? I love going there for dinner and getting the Big Ass Breakfast. So damn good!

19. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

This is no way the best restaurant, but a place we enjoyed going this weekend.

CRISP

20. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

They are actually opening another Etao its west of the galleria a little before little sheep.

Yes I have had Tiger Den twice, so freaking disappointed. First off these guys are run by cantonese people not real japanese (im cantonese). Second their service is terrible. We asked the server what he thought of something and he quote "I DONT KNOW IF YOU WILL LIKE IT" well thats why we are asking you. The noodles are too thin to be ramen noodles. Also the soup they put MSG I know it, they cheat. The best ramen place in Houston is that other one Ramen Jin and its not even that good.

Btw I haven't tried ninja ramen but its opened by a Taiwanese person. Interesting fact that he actually ate 7-8 don juans in Austin and got a picture on don juans wall.