1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best place to find houses?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Fatty FatBastard

Hello all.

I'm looking for a high rise condo or a Townhome in the central Houston area. Price is not as important as bargain. ie. I'm looking for a steal. I'm really not looking at anything above 300k, unless, as I said, its value is considerably higher.

I've been checking www.har.com but I'm curious if anyone knows better places to look for these things. I wouldn't mind a realtor looking, but I really don't want to have someone running around. However, if they're able to find things that I can't, I may pursue that.

TIA

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I would google "Foreclosure Houston" and let 'er rip....the bargains are in foreclosure these days.

3. Fatty FatBastard

I'll have a ClutchFans housewarming when I find something, if that's of any value... :p

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With a realtor, you would be able to set up an automated search by your criteria. You could define a map area, and price/feature parameters. You would get an email everytime things changed in that search range.

You can also look at sales trends...something you can't see when you look at listings on the consumer side of har.com .

Working with a realtor, you should choose someone that really knows THAT market, and that you can get along with. It will pay off for you to enlist someone that can help you find what you want, and who knows what is typical in the negotiations, and can assist with contracts. You may even find a friend who could give you a part of the commission back, as an allowable rebate to principal.

I'm a realtor, but that's not my market...so I would not be the right match ;) I'd recommend you check the more active players in that market.

5. Fatty FatBastard

As a realtor, let me ask you this: Would someone like you want to work with someone who isn't in any time-crunch, as in it might be a year or longer. As I stated, I'm looking for a great value, and I don't mind waiting until I find a great deal.

Just curious. As I said, I don't want someone running around for me when it could be a while before I bought.

6. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Hell i can tell you the answer to that question. My mom is a realtor and she hates it when people are indecisive. But you can't really blame either party, the realtor is just trying to do their job and the buyers are just trying to buy a home they like that is reasonably priced.

7. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Yeah I'm the same way. When I first started as a Realtor I went to show this guy like over 35 houses all over Houston. Over a 5 month span.

But I'm not mad with him, because he eventually bought and sold 8 houses with me. I mean it comes with the territory. The thing I REALLLLLY hate is when you work with someone(find the house, set up appointment, do all the contract work, etc.) and find the house they like and they ask for part of my commission.

8. droxford

droxford Member

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If there is an understanding between the two of you I don't see a problem at all.
    They understand it might take a while before you buy because the you're waiting for the right house at the right price. You understand it might take a while for them to find you a property to go see that matches your criteria.
    You make it sound like they're going to be running around randomly, wasting their time. Believe me. They won't. What will piss them off is if they find one that meets all your criteria and then you change your criteria.
    I say get a Realtor who specializes in foreclosures and pre-foreclosures. They know how to handle the banks and sellers and seller's agents in those situations.

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Asian? :D

11. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

lol you know it. They sneak it in the last second.

12. kona-

kona- Member

13. droxford

droxford Member

Dude. He mentioned that one in his original post.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

there's urbanliving.com for innerloop stuff but they seem to have the same listings as har.com

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I would be careful of a couple of things:

1. Foreclosure doesn't automatically mean good deal. Also, you don't want to miss out on good deals that are NOT foreclosures because that's all you were looking at.

2. While some parts of Houston have had lower home prices, Houston hasn't been hit nearly as hard in real estate as other parts of the country, so I'm not sure there are going to be huge "steals" as compared to places in California or Arizona.

3. The market you ARE looking at (condos, etc) could yield better deals than a single family home, but that's because they tend to have the bottom fall out faster.

4. Waiting around too long might have you miss out on the ridiculously low interest rates that are out there right now on mortgages. I've seen sub 4.5% here and there for people with great credit.

16. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

FFB - just saw this thread....i've been busy.

we are looking to sell our townhouse in the Heights and it is not listed on HAR yet as we have yet to move out and we are getting some work done on it to prep for sale. send me an email if you are seriously looking. we bought it without a realtor and would love to sell without one as well.

under $300K, on Heights Blvd just outside of downtown, 2 car garage, 2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom, open loft/study, patio backyard, alarm system, sprinkler system, all appliances included, etc.

let me know if you are interested!!

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

highrises are for douches.

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

lots of places available for under $300k ITL... my old man just put offers on 2 places in the montrose area, $265k and $260k respectively, both off their asking price by $30k-$40k

find something you like and make a lowball offer

19. droxford

droxford Member

I agree with that entirely! In this market, this is a good strategy.