1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best passers at each position

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Fefo

Fefo Member

if we are talking about quality of passes i think manu ginobili deserves a mention at least. He can do some passes i havent seen many peopple do.
    Magic, bird, and savonis are probably locks.
    At power forward maybe webber,

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It proves that he contributed more this his teammates' scoring than Larry Bird did by a huge margin. Isn't that what a passer/facilitator does?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

LeBron had a higher assist % but their assist / game are close.

Idk what that means

4. Mr. Clutch

Bird had cooler passes tho

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you count McGrady as SG, he should be up there.

Personally, I'd pick Sabonis over Walton. But they are close.

Anyway, heypartner. I don't know what are your criteria for "best passer." Most effective? Most amazing? Most important for team success? You argue for Bird over LeBron but have no objective standard for anybody to argue on. So at the end of the day, it's pretty subjective.

#25 Easy, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  6. adobo

adobo Member

Lebron is a good passer there is no denying that...but in reality, he plays as a PG moreso than an actual PF. A better comparison would really be Magic and Lebron, although stats wise he is actually a lot more comparable to Bird.

There is no way Lebron is touching Magic's passing abilities. But you have to say also, Bird was one of the GOAT passer for someone that doesn't have PG duties and still average almost similar assist per game in his whole career as Lebron.

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It means Larry Bird played for higher paced teams.

Darryl Dawkins had flashy dunks, is he a better scorer than Karl Malone?

8. MrJason

MrJason Member

9. Fefo

Fefo Member

what does that have to do with anything. We are talking better passers.
    Dunking and scoring is not the same thing. Dawkins probably was a better dunker than malone...

Apg to me dosent mean a lot, does anyone think Marbury is a better passer than lets say bird because he averaged more apg?

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry you don't understand how to use that stat in the context of different offenses/different teammates. And sorry that that is your only criteria. Because that criteria is highly flawed, when comparing the Celtics to any Lebron team.

11. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

No Pistol Pete come on now!

12. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

The Pistol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yVnJeKX5OeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Sorry you can't provide any real evidence besides "RED AUERBACH SAID SO", who died in 2006, 4 years into Lebron's career at age 89.

14. heypartner

No, I can. You're the one who can't provide any evidence besides misusing a stat. I'm sorry you don't know how to properly use Ast%.

Sorry you weren't able to witness both Bird and Lebron. And, like I say, TMac is just as good a passer as Lebron.

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Then do it. :rolleyes:

16. heypartner

No, you do it. You haven't proven anything, yet. If you are trying to unseat Bird as best passing SF (who has been the undisputed best passer for decades), then the onus is on you, not me.

Prove me wrong. And stop misunderstanding how to use stats properly.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Then at least explain why you don't see the assist % as evidence. All you do is talk, no substance.

18. VBG

VBG Member

Come on, anyone who watches Lebron can see that he is the offense. He has to make every decision and set up players. He always makes the right basketball play. He's a savant on the basketball floor. He's up there in basketball IQ with the all time greats. Just because he's a physical specimen doesn't mean you can ignore how good his vision is.

Lebron definitely does get to handle the ball more than Bird did. I think Bird would be better in this era of better medical care and more pick and rolls/pick and pops. Would be like having Dirk Nowitzki with guard skills and vision.

I'm sorry but to say Lebron isn't at least on Bird's level in terms of passing and playmaking is just to put the past on a pedestal IMO.

19. Mr. Clutch

Rubio is on par with Magic

20. Mr. Clutch

If you don't agree you're putting the past on a pedestal

1 person likes this.