1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Oiler RB ever? Campbell or George

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Apr 13, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

So what do you think?

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

George? Jeff George?

Rocket River

------------------

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oilers - Campbell

Titans - George

Overall - Campbell (Earl not Woody)

------------------

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Tough, tough call. Sentimental choice is easily the Tyler Rose.

Charlie Tolar deserves an honarable mention.

------------------

5. Band Geek Mobster

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Earl Campbell was the greatest Oiler RB ever. Eddie George achieved most of his greatness as a Titan.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Larry Moriarty is the greatest ever!

...ok, so Earl is the greatest, but Larry's close! [​IMG]

------------------
    Yugo grills, Yugo mills, Check out the oil my Yugo spills...

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Rob Carpenter.

9. kbm

kbm Member

I am sorry to break the news guys but anyone who thinks george is in the same league as cambell is downright crazy.

George is great but cambell is like the greatest power running back of all-time. The guy carried other people down the field for god sakes!

------------------
    I am an invisible man.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Earl...by a wide margin.

You knew he was coming, and there was nothing you could do about it.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

11. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

At this point in time, I'd have to give it to Earl but in a few years, who knows?

As a teenager, I worked at the Oiler training camp in Kerrville in 1972. Bill Peterson was the coach; Sid Gillman the general manager. Jerry Levias used to call the office and beg to be traded back to the Oilers; he was in San Diego at the time.

I had to drive to the San Antonio airport at midnight to pick up John Matuszak, Joe Blahak, and Gregg Bingham arriving from the College All-Star Game.

As luck would have it, Matuszak sat in the back and I had to scoot the front bench seat all the way up so he could have some leg room. Never drove like that before and certainly haven't since.

My other great memory was driving Bob (?) Woolf, who was Matuszak's agent (and Larry Bird's later) to the airport in my crappy first car. I got a flat-tire on the interior lane of I-45 and he had to hail a taxi just to make his flight. I was so embarassed. God, he was a nice man about it!

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.
    PowerbizOnline.com

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

EARL CAMPBELL

Hakeem is the only sports figure I put higher on my list of people I have as sports heros.

First player taken in 1978 NFL draft ... Texas All-America, Heisman Trophy winner ... NFL rushing champion, Player of Year, All-Pro, Pro Bowl choice, 1978, 1979, 1980 ... Career-high 1,934 yards rushing, including four 200-yard rushing games, 1980

In 1981, Ralph Wallace, a member of the Texas State Legislature, proclaimed Earl Campbell an Official State Hero of Texas. Earl was one of only four men bestowed with this honor, along with Stephen F. Austin, Davy Crockett and Sam Houston. The poor boy from a small East Texas town was now being honored as one of the most influential men in Texas history.

<TABLE BORDER CELLPADDING="2"><TR><TD></TD><TD><P ALIGN=Left>Rushes</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>Yds</TD><TD>per att</TD><TD>TDs</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>Rec</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>Yds</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>per rec</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>TD</TD></TR><TR> <TD><P ALIGN=Center>Eddie George</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>1764</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>6872</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>3.90</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>42</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>164</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>1447</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>8.7</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>6</TD></TR><TR><TD><P ALIGN=Center>Earl Campbell</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>2187</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>9407</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>4.30</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>74</TD><TD>121</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>806</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>6.7</TD><TD><P ALIGN=Center>0</TD></TR></TABLE>

------------------
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Earl.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

14. TraJ

TraJ Member

Spencer Tillman.

Okay, seriously: Earl Campbell.

Did anyone else where #34 in little league football because of him?

------------------
    The sky is falling!

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Fred Willis [​IMG]

Seriously, No one will ever be as good as Earl

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

16. Ric@HPF

Ric@HPF Member

i don't think this topic is even worthy of discussion -- i don't care how good eddie george winds up (and i happen to think he's *very* good), the oilers ceased to exist in 1996, which was george's rookie year.

george doesn't have enough oiler time to even rank among the *top 10* oiler RB's of all-time, let alone enough to be graded on the same scale as one of the greatest running backs in nfl history.

------------------
    Ric
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Lorenzo White

------------------

18. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I happen to agree that is way to early to be making this comparison. However, if Eddie has another 5 years like his first 5 he will be at the same level as Earl Campbell. Keep in mind Eddie has not missed a game yet (and that is amazing for a running back). If he is fortunate enough to stay injury free I think 10 years from now people may be comparing how similiar these two great running backs were.

I think there are alot of similarities to both of these two running backs. They are both workhorse of the offense. The opposing defense knew that both of these running backs would be getting the ball.

So for now Earl gets the vote as being the best. I think once Eddie has finished his career it may be a different matter.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

Counting down the days till January 27, 2002 (Superbowl 36 in New Orleans).

19. haven

haven Member

I've noticed several people mentioning longevity as a possible advantage for George. My problem with George has always been his yards per carry. I know he's bruising, I know he's consistent... but heck, his career average is LESS than 4 per game, and as a power back, that isn't likely to improve with age. George is a workhouse... but Campbell was a stud.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001