1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Ice Cream

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Troy McClure, Dec 8, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Whats the best ice cream you have ever eaten ?

I've always wondered why people crave the stuff so much, because I dont... but I would if something appealed to me. But chocolate, vanilla, butter pecan, rocky road, or strawberry do not really interest me...

Is there any flavor I'm missing ( I know I am, but what).... I like weird stuff.

GM

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I like Häagen-Dazs German Chocolate Cake flavor.

3. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

My fav right now is Blue Bell Birthday Cake.

4. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Holy crap.. I went to go look at the haagen dazs website and they have bailey's irish ice cream... is that any good?

5. Fatty FatBastard

They have a new Krispy Kreme Ice cream available. It tastes like a doughnut.

6. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby is heaven in a bowl:

Fudge-Covered Peanut Butter-Filled Pretzels in Vanilla Malt Ice Cream Rippled with Fudge & Peanut Butter.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

For store bought, you can't go wrong with Ben & Jerry's or Haggen Daas, but I really like the Kroger Signature stuff.

As for going out, Amy's up off of South Shepherd is pretty damn amazing as is Oscar's on Kirby.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

How did I know that response was coming? ;)

9. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

I dont like doughnuts though. Hmmm... I like pancakes though, but I dont think I have ever had a good one at a restuarant or anything so I doubt it would be good in ice cream.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

My favorite is the banana pudding by bluebell with the nilla wafers in it. And everything by Ben and Jerrys.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Any Texan not mentioning Blue Bell is, well, not Texan. :)

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Amy's is easily the best. In Austin or Houston.

13. Fatty FatBastard

Agreed. Anyone else ever take the "field trip" to Brenham to tour Blue Bell? They gave you these awesome wooden spoons to eat it with.

Honestly, without the wooden spoon, Blue Bell Vanilla doesn't taste quite as good.

14. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

You really have to make your own. Traditional recipes that begin with a Creme Anglaise are the richest, and in my opinion are the best. Even a simple French Vanilla is wonderful but since we were talking about flavors, my favorite is a true rum raisin ice cream.

If you don't have the patience or nerve to try a Creme Anglaise base the Philly style ice-creams (a combo of milk and heavy cream without any egg yolks and that doesn't have to be cooked first) are still far better than anything I have bought from a grocery store or ice-cream place.

If you must buy something, Godiva is pretty good. Or if you are at a very good restaurant (eating at the Houstonian, or the Four Seasons, for example) you can trust they made their own ice-cream from scratch and that it is probably very good.

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

All of you NOT mentioning Blue Bell have obviously never lived outside of Texas for any period in your lives.

:(

16. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream from Baskin Robbins.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I miss by Blue Bell. There's just nothing as good as Blue Bell's Mint Chocolate Chip.

My current favorite is one by Ben & Jerry's that is fudge and caramel in vanilla ice cream.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Key Lime Pie by Blue Bell was delecious.

19. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Okay, Ive checked out the various websites for each of the brands mentioned, and here's what sounds interesting to my tongue...

Bluebell - "Peaches & Homemade Vanilla - Gold Rim
    A mouth-watering combination of juicy, ripe peaches and our famous Homemade Vanilla ice cream."

Ben/Jerrys -

"Original Ice Cream
    Sweet Cream Cinnamon Ice Cream with Chunks of Oatmeal Cookies & Fudge

To us, there's nothing more familiar or comforting than just-out-of-the-oven cookies. We created this flavor to celebrate the humble oatmeal cookie, & because we love chocolate, we threw in lots of fudge chunks in lieu of raisins"

I would prefer the raisins though... someone said redrum raisin or something like that... that sounds interesting.

Haagen Dazs -

"Mango
    ICE CREAM
    The signature fruit of paradise becomes an exceptional ice cream. In each delectable spoonful of creamy mango ice cream you’ll find juicy pieces of this exotic fruit. Blended with the purest ingredients, these sweet, luscious mangos create a sensational tropical delight."

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Amen to this! Amy's Sweet Cream is probably my favorite flavor of hers. It's amazing.

My favorite store bought ice cream is hard to find: Ben and Jerry's Festivus! for the rest of us :)