1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Game You've Ever Been At...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Ming Dynasty, Aug 2, 2007.

1. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

What's the best Rox game you've ever been at? Don't Lie!

OK, I was not at the Rox vs. Lakers series in '86 -I was in HS, but didn't have tix, but was at both Championship wins ('94 & '95). I witnessed both Dream's block of Starks as well as Stockton's (Malone's bear hug screen) shot in '97. I was at Barkley's retirement game as well as Francis first game in a H-town uni. I was at Moses Malone's first game back in Houston after being traded to Philly as well as T-Mac's 13 points in 35 seconds, as well as many crappy games in between.

I'm not asking what what was the best Rox game, but rather what was the best game YOU were actually at (road or away)... If you we're not there.. Please Don't Vote!

2. yobod

yobod Member

I was at Game 7 vs. the Knicks. I was 11 years old at the time, and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Richard Lewis was actually a few sections over from us, and I remember very vividly how, when it was evident the Rockets were gonna win....probably about a minute to go in the game, he PUTS ON A WIG (really long, girly hair) and starts climbing towards the exit. Obviously, everyone around him starts pointing and yelling at him, and people start throwing stuff at him. He runs up the rest of the way with his little entourage following him, getting pelted by nachos, peanuts, etc the whole way. It was incredible. The Summit couldn't contain the euphoria that was pouring out of the fans that night....on the drive home, everyone had their hazards on along with their brake lights (red and yellow), and people were hanging out of their windows, high fiving each other and just going buck. It was a good, clean celebration....unlike some of these other cities where they just use it as an excuse to completely destroy everything around them, and basically ruin their OWN TOWN. Never made sense to me. Anyways, that was my experience of the best game I've ever been to.

3. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

i was one of the few who stayed during tmac's 13 in 35... i actually stood up to leave when the crowd started leaving (although i never liked leaving early i was disappointed the way the game was ending after what i thought was a good defensive game). But something told me to stay, it was weird. I'm usually a calm laid back person who would occasionally jump up for a good play and clap then sit back down, but during that 13 and 35 stretch it was one of the most energetic/adrenaline pumping moments of my life that didnt involve illegal activity!!! I literally jumped off the ground as high as i could when the last bucket went in, everyone around me was ecstatic and gave everyone high fives and hugs. It was amazing.

4. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Can't vote, none of the above. I was at the first yao vs. shaq game where steve scored 44. The crowd was so crazy that night you didn't need red rowdies.
    I've had great luck going to Indiana games over the years, Moochie fell out of bounds and ran back in to hit a three in triple overtime. Even the one tracey walked out of for the season in '06 with his bad back, the game was still awesome and we won. I'm gonna make sure I always go to the one pacer game every year.

5. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

How about game 6 of the 1997 Western Conference Finals?

:D

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

never been to any of those...
    but i went the game where they retired clydes jersey..I still have the guide from it!
    our lineup:
    shandon anderson
    matt bullard
    kelvin cato
    BILL CURLEY
    bryce drew
    steve francis
    devin gray
    anthony miller
    cuttino mobley
    hakeem olajuwon
    kenny thomas
    walt williams

76ers:
    bruce bowen
    MATT GEIGER
    tyrone hill
    larry hughes
    allen iverson
    george lynch
    todd macculloch - remember this dude?
    aaron mckie
    nazr mohammed
    billy owens
    theo ratliff
    eric snow

I also have a guide from like 2003 that has all the players scoring highlights, then under Bostjan Nachbar's name it says "Boki likes to read in his spare time." - sucker.

7. what

what Member

cannonball I envy you. I remember watching that game on T.V. It was unbelievable. To me, that has to be the most memorable sports moment in Rockets history, only eclipsed my my memories of love ya blue.

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Mine is playoff vs Jazz when Hakeem & Cylde each had 40+.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Games I enjoyed:

Dream's block on Rod Strickland in the playoffs

Game 1 of the '94-'95 season...getting to see the first championship banner raised, getting a faux ring ;)

10. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

I was at the T-Mac 13 in the 35 game, but unfortunately, I came w/ a group from school, and my idiot teacher made us leave early. Needless to say, I was furious. I got her fired a few years later, although for a totally different reason. :cool:

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Went to the 13 in 35 game... I did NOT decide to leave Early but a friend kept on insisting.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Best Rockets game I've ever been to was a game in Fall of 96 or 97 in which we were down by 15 with 5 min. to go, and 6 with 15 secs, but managed to tie the game in regulation and win in OT on a game winner. It was spectacular.

Wish I could tell you a lot more about it, but given that I was 13 at the time, don't remember as much. I do remember Drexler hitting the shot to send it to OT.

13. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

i said game 4 vs. orlando. but i was actually at game 3. it's still close!

14. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Uhh... This is a really limiting poll. But the greatest game I ever went to had back-to-back Biggio and Bagwell homers. And Bags broke a bat as well. And I'm pretty sure the Reds lost.

15. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

You know, there's a little more to why I don't like this poll question...

I understand that you only want the opinions of people who were at the games. But with how limiting the poll question is, it's difficult. Observe:

1.) You have to have been at the game
    2.) In order to get any REAL result, the majority of people here would have to have been to multiple games (ideally all of them).

Of those who have answered, how many have only attended one of the games in the poll? Ultimately, I think it would've been better to ask who has been to these games. But then again, it really may not matter, right? ;)

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First Yao Shaq where Steve dropped 44 points and just completely balled.
    Eddie Griffin looked great too.

17. Dei

Dei Member

Props to you :D .

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I was at that game. Had great seats too.

I was also at Game 7 in 1994 between the Rockets and Suns. My favorite moment in that game(and there were MANY great moments) was when the Rockets had like a 10-point lead with less than a minute to go and were clearly on their way to victory. Matt Thomas(I think that was the PA guy at the time) announced tickets would go on sale for Games 1 and 2 of the WCF immediately after the game.....and this is with more than 30 seconds left in Game 7 and the Suns still out there on the court. :)

Another great playoff experience was Game 3 in 1997 between the Rockets and Jazz. We were down 2-0 coming home and Utah smoked us in the first quarter. I think Malone even hit a half-court bomb at the buzzer to put them up like 13. Sedale Threatt and Eddie Johnson of all people actually led us back, and by the 4th quarter the Jazz were getting destroyed. Eddie Johnson went off for 31 points or so that night. All the way out of the arena and into the parking garage, everyone(and I mean EVERYONE) was chanting "EDDIE! EDDIE!" for about 20 minutes. I can only imagine how crazy everyone went after Game 4. :D

19. cavevato

cavevato Member

First game that comes to mind for me....was my first game.I dont remember the year but the Rockets and the Supersonics came out on fire that year.I think they were like 14-0 or something when they played each other. I remember my Pop's telling me the only way we would go see them was if they are playing well like that :eek:

The other game was a recent one. It was the first game against the Mavericks this past season.Tmac, Yao and company gave them a real good thumpin.And when I say "and company" I mean almost all the Rockets got in on the Maverick beatdown.The crowds energy was tremendous. :)

20. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Sadly, I've never been to any of those.

But hands down the best was game three vs. Utah in 1998. I remember going BONKERS when Clyde threw Hakeem an ally-oop. Not sure if I've ever been more excited after a win, going up 2-1 on the team that CHEATED the Rockets the previous year.

A distant second was the Election Day 2000 win over the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.