1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best/Favorite Graphic Novels of All-Time

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Since I've recently discovered how to put comics & graphic novels onto my nook color, I've finally gotten around to reading some that have always been recommended to me. The Dark Tower series was cool and, of course, Watchmen.

I'm currently reading The Walking Dead series and then I have Preacher on tap after that. I was going to see if you guys had any "must read" series out there to recommend. Xerobull already pointed me towards Y: The Last Man.

I've also gotten Sin City, 300 and The Dark Knight Returns.

What else do you recommend?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The Planet Hulk run in Hulk is probably the best superhero comic I've read in years.

[​IMG]

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

4. what

what Member

Warriors of Plasm. Jim Shooter, David Lapham

1 person likes this.
  5. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Fables is really great, Y: The Last Man is really good in parts although it has its weaker moments, and Preacher is good (I know you listed the last two already, just seconding those).

If you are looking for something a little different I heartily recommend Maus and Maus II (not comics or graphic novels in the traditional sense, it is the story of a son learning about his father's Holocaust experiences) It is the only graphic novel to have ever won the Pulitzer Prize and is extremely powerful.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really liked this too.

Other favorites of mine include A Contract With God by Will Eisner, The Age of Bronze series by Eric Shanower, Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrisson and Dave McKean, The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland, and a number of collections (V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Batman Year 1, The Dark Knight Returns)

As a side note, I sometimes wonder if the term "graphic novel" is used a bit too liberally. Whenever lists are compiled of essential graphic novels, half of the entries are actually collections of standard-length comic books. It's kind of like editing a bunch of episodes of a TV series together and calling it a movie. I guess it doesn't really matter, but it does seem to me that a serialized story will be written much differently than a graphic novel that is immediately presented in its entirety.

8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

The graphic novels Marvel and Kingdom Come. The best in my opinion. And maybe Red Son. Really great "What If?" story on Superman landing in Russia instead of America.

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Alan Moore= Watchmen, V For Vendetta and his series on Swamp Thing
    Brian K. Vaughan= Y: The Last Man(top on my list), Ex Machina, and Runaways(up till vol2 1-24)

Batman: The Killing Joke

Daredevil: Born Again

Lone Wolf and Cub

Tintin, Asterix and OBelix.

1 person likes this.
  10. Garner

Garner Member

What is the trick to getting graphic novels on your Nook? I've only tried to get Watchmen, but can't even find the title itself in the search (same goes for Jurassic Park and Jaws).

My recommendation:

V for Vendetta

11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Meh, my brother-in-law bought me that and I was totally disappointed. Very predictable and the writing was pretty bad. Great idea but poorly written.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men was still a lot of fun to read on my third time around.

Batman- Killing Joke, Hush, and The Long Halloween are all among my faves.

13. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

100 Bullets was thoroughly entertaining.

Pride of Baghdad was surprisingly good as well.

14. conquistador#11

my soul just cried a little. Graphic novels on digital devices.
    anyhoo, put me down for "the killing joke". One of the best I've read.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

16. cod

cod Member

Neil Gaiman's Sandman

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Damn I have both of these. Walt Simonson is an awesome artist. One of my favorite cover as a kid.

Talking about Chris Claremont. How did I forget his series with John Byrne. The Dark Phoenix Saga.

[​IMG]

18. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Death the High Cost of Living and Sandman ftw. altho I wouldnt say they are really all that graphic. just dark.

19. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I loved the Ultimates, and the Ultimates 2 (not so much Ultimatum or Ultimates 3). Those again are collections though, rather than graphic novels.

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Without a doubt. I do have to admit that it is the only graphic novel I ever read. But still a great book.

1 person likes this.