1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Coach Since Rudy T?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Nov 27, 2019.

?

Who is the Best Coach Since Rudy T?

1. Jeff Van Gundy

28 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Rick Adelman

78 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. Kevin McHale

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. J. B. Bickerstaff

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Mike D'Antoni

34 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I know you hate him so I won't even bother responding.

HP3 likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s not forget how Les screwed over Rick by offering less salary when his contract was over so that Rick would be pissed and leave.
    Instead of just firing him, this tactic was humiliating.
    @Reeko

yeah and some of ass wipes loved Les

apollo33, Reeko and CCity Zero like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ha, the Adelman overrating is quite a bit much

Good coach but if you pikers think that was some sort of halcyon period...I feel sorry for you.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Easy one. It's Rick Adeleman.

5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

JVG might not been the worst but he was easily the most frustrating one to see on our sideline. I do not miss his era as our coach.

Bickerstaff doesnt even count in my mind

1. Adelman

2. D’Antoni
    3. Mchale
    4. JVG

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG set offensive basketball back a few generations. I never liked the strategy of turning the rockets into the Knicks

mac_got_this likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

Adelman - enough’s been said

JVG - same

Kelvin Sampson / MDA - I’m not buying the offensive genius stuff, he’s running Moreyball and no Harden would show how poorly this team would do on offense. Sampson did well in his time as a coach here.

8. fattz

fattz Member

MDA has helped/made Harden reach levels of greatness that are unparalleled in modern times. Not just anyone can do that. MDA is not an “X’s and O’s” make the right adjustments to win a close game coach. Harden is not the player he is today with out MDA. For a team with 3 maxed out guards MDA is the right coach. Frustrating and flawed but the right coach. In time he will take Westbrook “the triple double” to greater heights, too. If MDA used any kind of load management I would put him along side of Adelman. MDA success is undeniable.

9. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Rick Adelman was one of the best coaches in the command of the Rockets. Definitely. Then, many miles away, come MDA and JVG.
    Kevin McHale and J.B. Bickerstaff should not even be considered coaches in this league.

10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

If we had JVG as our defensive coach for Mchale or Adelman even for now we would have won several championships

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I loved Rick, unfortunately he never had a fully healthy roster to see what he could do for us. He had a Chuck Hates/Luis Scola/Kevin Martin team running a beautiful offense though. A bunch of what ifs. The guy could never win a championship either so not sure what makes him better than Mike D. Lol.

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kelvin Sampson.

13. SamFisher

Lol we saw exactly what he could do - 55 wins and another annoyng first round loss to the Jazz, same as the guy he replaced, with the same offense, defense, pace and everything.

I guess people are taking solace in the moral victory of pushing the Lakers to 7, and that was fun, but I don't really find it a s clear a differentiator as implied herein.

Nostalgia for Rick is fine but these last few Rockets teams have all been superior, easily.

They are historically great on offense, like among the very best of all time. The 2007 or 2008 Rockets weren't even close to that.

You can argue the aesthetics if you like seeing a Brad Miller screen more than a step back 3 but Danito's teams are competing with history, not Carlos Boozer

joshuaao and Rocket River like this.
  14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Exactly dude was stuck in the nineties, I always said if Adelman got here earlier before Yao and tmac bodies failed them, we probably would’ve gotten to a few wcf and a finals. He hater innovation. I remember when Luther grad threw a alley-oop off the back board to Gerald Green and he looked visibly mad and irritated and it was garbage time. Never gave VSpan a chance.

That’s why I didn’t get too down during the Mchale years. JVG was the most frustrating coach I’ve ever had to root for and I’m a cowboys fan and have to watch Garrett on The sidelines.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought the Jazz were just a bad match up for Yao. You had Deron and Boozer who could pick and roll him to death and then you had Mehmet Okur who he had no chance at guarding either since he was just parked on the perimeter.

JVG could not do anything against the Jazz either. When you gave the Rockets a favorable match up the next year, the Rockets advanced to the 2nd round. It's possible that the Rockets could of won that Lakers series if Yao doesn't go down.

I disagree with you and feel that the Adelman era just didn't work out because of injuries. Morey did a great job those years putting a good team around two fragile stars.

16. SamFisher

I just think it's a little silly , if you read the first page of responses to this thread Baron Von Adelman is an order of magnitude ahead of any of his peers.

In reality he achieved pretty similar results to his immediate predecessor with the same pieces. I don't really buy injuries as this great equalizer, since Yao got injured every year and the Rockets generally weathered the storm regardless.

In reality Danito's teams are/were whole other level of awesome.

Now obviously that's because they had greatest offensive talent to take the floor arguably ever at their helm but that's in part because he's playing in Danito's pace & space league with Danito doing the hardest thing for a great coach to do and letting him just go.

The great coaches realize it's ultimately a players league.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Adelman does more with less. Tmac(inefficient chucker) and Yao(slow and hands of stone) were flawed players and made a contender out of them. He almost got a team lead by Aaron Brooks to beat the eventual NBA champs.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I love JVG, but his offenses were AWFUL. Painful to watch. Slow. Predictable. Heavy minutes for guys like Rick Brunson and Charlie Ward.

kjayp likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Coach Adelman. As was suggested, I'd love to see Jeff Van Gundy handling our defense.

Patience, kjayp and slothy420 like this.
  20. thedude077

thedude077 Member

A lot of hypocrites here on Clutchfans. I remember a lot of you wanted Rick Adelman fired when he was coaching...

Patience and Rocket River like this.