1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Center in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jlwee, Aug 18, 2008.

?

Best Center in the NBA

1. Yao Ming

252 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

52 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Andrew Bynum

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Greg Oden

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. Others

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Yao is the best center.

Dwight is the most valuable (too young and just a tank, trouble against Yao but dominates most other centers)

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/psplit.cgi?player=howardw01&year=2008

Eastern 19.5 13.9 1.2
    Western 22.7 14.6 1.5

Check before you say anything dumb.

3. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

lmao :D

4. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

The best way to explain as I see it is that Yao is the best center RIGHT NOW(disregarding injuries) and Dwight is the better prospect for the FUTURE and has more potential. If you ask me who I'd take for this upcoming season(disregarding injuries of course), I'd take Yao. If you ask em who I'd rather take for future potential and years down the road, I'd take Dwight.

5. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Thank You

The media is in love with Howard, he is athletic and he's been well liked because of his Dunk Contest exploits.Yao has been stereotyped since he came into the league as a waste of space, a loser, and a weak person. Yao doesnt get "denied" when Theo Ratliff or Jason Maxiell start using their bodies against him :D

6. NADman

NADman Member

Even a 70% healthy Yao Ming still OWNED Dwight Howard. Face it, Yao owns Dwight Howard every single time they play against each other. Enough said, get over it.

Stats don't lie. Dwight Howard will never be able to top Yao in a head-to-head match up. Never ever ever, never never ever!

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get the obsession with trying to figure out if your team has the "best C," "best PF" "Best Duo," or "Best Big 3."

What difference does it make, exactly, if a team has the best C or not? The point of the game is to have the best 5 on the court for 48 minutes.

8. SkipToMyLou22

SkipToMyLou22 Member

lol because he plays at the 4 and is naturally better at it as well.

Well it's definitely between Dwight Howard and Yao Ming, but the way these two players are at the moment - definitely Yao Ming but no doubt Dwight Howard will be even more of the freaking best he is already in a few years. He still needs improvement to his game (especially getting a jumper and some post moves) but my god, he's athleticism and power really do make him deadly. As for now, definitely Yao Ming is the best C in the game.

9. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

Of course my heart tells me that Yao is the best... my brain on the other hand...

I chose DH b/c he's not injury prone and he is an absolute beast.

Yao's shooting > DH dunks, but still DH > Yao in every other aspect besides shooting (and I guess passing too).

The real question is: why does it matter and who really gives a damn?

I know I don't....

10. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Unfortunately, this poll is about the best center in the league.

So as much as Yao owns Dwight Howard and about 28 other centers in the league, Mehmet Okur owns him. And just about a host of other centers own him on defense.

By comparison, Dwight might not reach the level of ownage that Yao dishes on offense against 29 other centers, but there are also just about less than 5 centers in the entire league who he cannot own on defense.

As far as overall game is concerned, I have to be objective and give the edge to Dwight, especially since he is more durable and younger with more upside to boot.

11. zerhoe

zerhoe Member

you have got to be kidding? yao is one of, if not the best pivot in the game. he anchors the entire team.

dwight? he dunks and muscles and has no real go to move.

defensively yao isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be, cut the guy a break, just because he isn't olajuwon doesn't mean he can't eat at the table.

right now, at this minute, if i had to play a game of ball, i'd take yao.

12. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Dwight Howard

This dude is a monster. Dominates on all parts of the game. Best rebounder in the game, and is in the top three shot blockers in the league.

Yao dominates on the offensive end of the floor but his size limits him on the defensive end and hurts his quickness in getting rebounds. He tries hard on defense but he just cant play it.

Howard is also more durable than Yao, as Yao is injury prone

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Here are my corrections to the list...

Dwight Howard:
    Strengths:-
    (1) Excellent athleticism (quick and incredible vertical for his size)
    (2) Excellent rebounder [Elite rebounder]
    (3) Excellent Shot blocker [Good shot blocker]
    (4) Good post defender
    (5) Young, yet to reach his peak so rooms for improvement [Going into his 5th season, and most high school draftees have not shown significant improvement beyond this period (statistically). Kobe increased his scoring, but that was right after Shaq left and his shot attempts increased.]
    Weakness:-
    (1) Poor free throw shooter [Terrible free throw shooter]
    (2) Limited post moves [No post moves]
    (3) No range i.e. can't hit jumper
    (4) Turnover prone
    (5) No court vision

Yao Ming:
    (1) Excellent free throw shooter
    (2) Excellent post moves
    (3) Range up to 3 point line [Range out to 18 feet]
    (4) Underrated post defense
    (5) Okay shot blocker [Good shot blocker...same as Howard]
    (6) Average rebounder [Good rebounder]
    (7) Good passer, good court vision [Good passer, good court vision, but doesn't utilize these skills enough]
    (8) Height and size
    (1) Stamina issue
    (2) Injury prone
    (3) Turnover prone
    (4) Slow and not athletic at all(cant jump high) [Slow, but as athletic as he needs to be at his size]
    (5) Peaked [Has likely peaked, but hard to tell due to injuries]

Andrew Bynum
    (1) Young [Cut this one form the list, it's not a strength]
    (2) Good post moves [Decent post moves]
    (3) Excellent rebounder
    (4) Excellent shot blocker [Good shot blocker]
    (5) Underrated passer
    (1) Injury prone; durability issue
    (2) Poor stamina
    (3) Poor post defender for his size

Greg Oden
    Honestly i never watched him play before, not even in the college as i am not able to watch college basketball so the belows are all based on what i read about him.
    (1) Good rebounder [Unknown, hasn't played in the NBA yet]
    (2) Good shot blocker [Unknown, hasn't played in the NBA yet]
    (3) Good defender [Unknown, hasn't played in the NBA yet]
    (1) Limited offensive moves [Unknown, hasn't played in the NBA yet]

14. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I know Howard has nice stat of blocks and rebounds, how about Orlando's overall interior defense? Can any1 find some data? It would be a good comparison if you use the data of the 04-06 Rocket team:

1: both have a weak front end partner (J Howard for Yao)
    2: both coached under a Gundy

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

if yao could stay healthy i'd have him above howard, but with his tendency to get hurt and dwight's durability i give him the slight edge.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I vote Yao for now. I think Howard will surpass him in a year or two if he expands his game.

Bynum could develop as well. Oden I have no idea until he plays.

One thing is for sure - Yao has the best shooting touch and that counts a lot.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

attendance is part of greatness...edge to DH

18. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Wrong. Ever hear of "It takes 5?"

A center can't survive by himself. Yao is the best 5 in the league because of his passing ability, not to mention the "scoring at will" characteristic. DH still needs Hedo and Lewis to make it a close game.

You put Yao and DH on the others' respective teams, I guarantee you, the Magic will do better with Yao than Howard, than the Rockets will do with Howard than Yao.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If we're going to put it that way, and I think that makes sense, then I'd take Duncan for my center.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

well, if its 2 on 2...i'm taking Kobe as my center. we'll just shoot on you and Duncan, until you come out. Then he'll take Timmy off the dribble. :)