1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Center in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jlwee, Aug 18, 2008.

?

Best Center in the NBA

1. Yao Ming

252 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. Dwight Howard

52 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Andrew Bynum

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Greg Oden

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. Others

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's a toss up between Yao and Dwight Howard when both are healthy. But Howard has been extremely durable during his career, and Yao has not. So, advantage Howard.

2. cshen

cshen Member

I think we are talking about centers.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yao can't score at will either. While I think he is still a better overall player than Howard, if Yao goes down to another major injury, the case is closed. You cannot compare the two without considering durability. Another factor to consider is Howard plays with a bunch of sissies on his team while Yao has Chuck Hayes, Scola, Landry and Shane drawing charges and banging around. Not ONE player on the Magic has Howard's back. One of these days I think he's going to explode during a game.

For those of you who are so certain Howard is already better, remember that he cooled down after the fast start last season.

Props to the OP. I agree with most of what you said and appreciate the attempt to be thorough and objective. I disagree with your final conclusion. I don't think DH has knocked Yao off the throne just yet, but we'll see after next season. Don't make a hasty decision if Howard (again)starts the season out like a monster.

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

This poll proves why Yao is overrated in Houston. Better than Dwight Howard? ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME??????

5. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

Did you vote for Yao or Howard?
    I believe in s2 You said Yao is better when healthy

6. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

No, nobody is kidding you Dwight Howard is the overrated one if you ask me.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think it will be Yao for the next 2 - 4 years, then he probably retires or is in decline.

Dwight Howard or Greg Oden takes over.

8. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

Amare Stoudemire is a power forward and that is easily his natural position. If you watched him dominate in the 2nd half of the season after the Shaq-Marion Trade.

9. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

hmm coming from a rockets forum...i wonder who would win!?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think Howard will definitely overtake Yao before he retires.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Definitely, he fits in with the duties of power forward...since most power forwards behind a stalwart center aren't expected to be a force on defense. He just can't defend the paint all that well, and he's just not built for that. Maybe, good one on one defense, but not patroling the whole paint. I imagine Phoenix will probably try another center, before they move Amare back to the spot. Since that was one of the reason they struggled so much on defense, no presence in the paint combined with a lack of team defense.

12. durvasa

I voted for Howard, after factoring in expected production over an entire season. If Yao is missing 30 games and Howard is playing practically a full season, it's hard for me to rank Yao ahead of him. When both are fully healthy sure I may give Yao an edge, though it's debatable.

13. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

Dang you, but even an unhealthy Yao is better than Dwight, Watch the game on August 10th China vs USA, Yao dominates Dwight like they always do.

14. durvasa

Individual matchups mean much less to me than then what they do against the rest of the league as a whole over the course of a season. They only play against each other a couple times a year.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Clearly, it's between Yao and Howard with Yao having the edge right now. I agree that if Yao suffers another major injury that becomes a deal breaker and Howard automatically gets the edge based off of durability alone. Howard will eventually overtake Yao.

Al Jefferson deserves consideration if he continues to progress. He's close to Howard.

Bynum and Oden are in the same boat, IMO. Same age and similar size/upside. Obviously, Bynum has the experience edge and should be better initially but i'm curious to see how good Oden is going to be.

Right now: 1) Yao 2) Howard 3) Jefferson 4) Bogut 5) Chandler 6) Fat Memo

Bynum and Oden shouldn't even be choices yet. Things also change enormously depending upon where Duncan plays into all this too. Duncan gets the majority of his minutes at C but i'm pretending for the original poster's sake he's a PF.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Greg Oden has not played a single game in the NBA.

17. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

Either way it shows that if they were playing in the finals one day, Yao would win and destroy him, I don't think it's a complete difference.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree completely on this point. 2 games out of 82 doesn't mean much and the odds of a matchup in the Finals is close to zero.

19. tmacyaokobe01

tmacyaokobe01 Rookie

look at my sig.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3513504

20. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Yao also gets a triple team every time he touches the ball...while Howard at most get a double team once in a while. People that plays the Magic game play is to stop hedo and lewis. While ppl that play houston is trying to stop Yao Ming.