1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Backcourt in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GrEgOnOmIcS, Jun 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. farhan007

farhan007 Member

and scoring, and driving into the basket which is why he is a true sg.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wait, I thought it was Rudy's fault the Rockets were in the lottery? All they needed was a WNBA coach to win it all, right?

3. Sane

Sane Member

I think that if you throw a, just for example, Jeff McInnis into our backcourt rotation, we become either 1st or tied for 1st.

Mobley/Francis
    Francis/McInnis

That's got to be the best. It's relentless scoring from the 2-spot, and a great balance of PG play and high-scoring play from the PG position.

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice one, Freak.

One of my problems with Rudy was his encouraging the backcourt's worst instincts. He led the way for the pro-Cat crowd, but somehow failed to bash Francis? Imagine that! Usually the two camps hate each other. Plus, he gave us Moochie. Lots of Moochie. As Sane notes, replace Moochie with a competent 3rd wheel like McInnis - yowza! Suddenly, you can mix and match a lot better. As long as SOMEONE competent is MOVING the ball. that is to say NOT DRIBBLING!

I'd love to have that WNBA coach, btw. It's just idle speculation at this point, but I'd think he'd have beaten those bottom feeders enough to make the playoffs.

I certainly expect different demands from any new coach. Our "best backcourt" isn't going to get it done going one-on-one 24/7. There's only 1 ball. The ball needs to move. To break the ISO curse, we're going to have to break that basic instinct. It may take an icepick. Would I iso TMac or Kobe? Sure, Maybe sometimes. But not 24/7. It kills team ball. And I certainly wouldn't give Ricky Davis the green light to ISO alltime. Scorer/selfish/death. No-one wants that. Contributor/team/life - everyone wants that.

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Well, said! :D

6. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I give props where they are due. I never said that Francis and Mobley don't have talent. But, Dejuan Wagner can score 20 pts a game, shooting 39%. I remember that @ the start of last season, SF was averaging 30 PPG, because his shots were falling. Then during the playoff run, how many 1-12 nights did he have? So tell me again if it's luck that he did 30 PPG. And I won't even go into his defence.

Also, as a PG, I thought it's his job to create chances for the others. I don't care that Yao was winded, or that EG can't shoot a lick, there's no excuse that the whole team just disappears during playoff runs. I'm watching the finals right now and Jason Kidd is shooting like crap, but still putting up 10 dimes per game, aka, still contributing.

As for Cat, for the number of shots he jack up, he better put up his 18 PPG, or he'll get his ass traded very quickly. Of course, credits to where it's due, he did have better shot selection late season. Now if he only made those open jumpers.

7. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

Listen up everyone, Jo Mama says this topic is no good, so will the 25+ posters who have contributed to this thread please take back what you have written until Jo Mama agrees what topic we may discuss.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

as i just showed, he clearly made his jumpers as well as most people last year and the last half of the season he was raising his number after a bad first half. his 3pt % went from 30-31 early on to 35 by the end of the year. clearly he made those open jumpers at the end.

9. SequSpur

SequSpur Member

San Antonio. Parker and Jackson

60 Wins
    Midwest Title
    Western Conference Title
    NBA Finals To Be Champions

Sounds to me like the Spurs have the best backcourt. :)

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yeah, Tim Duncan didn't have anything to do with those accomplishments.

11. Miggidy Markell

How can you say Nash is a better scorer when he doesn't get the defense Francis commands!? Nash gets looks simply by being with Dirk and Finley. Now you say Nash is a much better play maker? he only seems to have 1.1 assists more then Francis.... GREAT play maker.... :rolleyes:

Please explain how Nash is the much better playmaker and how they are equal at scoring, from a Mav's homer (your) point of view..........

12. snowmt

snowmt Member

Nash is a proven star PG. Francis is a pretender(or a star SG).
    Nash's team went to the conference final. Francis led the
    team to lottery.

13. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Umm yeah, you're on crack. Francis/Mobley, best backcourt in the NBA.

14. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Miggidy Markell, you are completely missing some very valuable measuring sticks for talent and application of that talent.

For one, "only 1.1 assist more than Francis" does not just equal 1.1 assist. It's an average. Which is huge over many games. Also, you are not factoring in Francis's turnovers per game. Which degrades Francis's points per game (it's hard to figure out how many of Francis's turnovers are converted to points for the other team. But it's more than Nash, that's for sure.).

Remember, that Nash for the last 3 years has averaged more than 7.3 assists per game while maintaining a 2.6 TO per game.
    That's incredibly efficient.

Nash is an incredible playmaker. You mentioned that Nash doesn't command the same defense that Francis does. That's crap. Nash is able to achieve a great efficiency rating under the same conditions. If Francis was so good, then he would be able to just beat people on pure athletic ability. But he does not. He ends up relying on his athletic ability, and then turns the ball over, while Nash is able to out smart his opponent and complete the assist or score.

We're talking about play-making, decision making and efficiency, regardless of athletic ability. That's a bonus, if you have it.

You're acting like Francis is double teamed all the time. He's not Duncan. And even if Francis was doubled the same rate that Duncan is, then it would be Francis's job to find the open man, which he does not.

Also, if Nash didn't have Finley or Dirk on his team, and was alone. I have no doubt that Nash would still be able to keep the same efficiency. Nash does make his teammates better. And he would make the adjustment if he didn't have the same talent around him. That's something that Francis had yet to figure out.

Remember, being a playmaker does have a lot to do with getting your teammates involved and efficiency. It's not only about one-on-one scoring ability.

#54 DavidS, Jun 9, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  15. Sane

Sane Member

Actually, we're talking about the best backcourt, not the best PG. I'd hate it if someone switched the topic of my thread.

I think that I'll go for Marbury/Penny as much as I hate them. As a starting backcourt, they bring everything, and complement each other so incredbly well. They also improve their teammates dramatically. Experience, youth. I'd take Penny off their hands any day of the week, because he can TRULY play both G positions, and compensate for Francis' mistakes/problems. Marbury is, hands down, the best PG in the league if you take away his bad rep (which he has rendered INCORRECT over the last 2 years).

Nash and Finley are good, but, I don't know, they are not dominant. They don't strike fear into their opponents. They're very good creators, I'll give you that much. But I don't know if they create better than Marbury/Penny (look at assist numbers) and I'm sure they aren't better offensively than the Suns duo either.

However, I commend Francis/Mobley for destroying the Suns backcourt this past season.

16. farhan007

farhan007 Member

Thats why Francis isnt ment to be a pg. Why do yall go hit on Francis. He really is a sg!! Nask is obviously better than Francis at playmaking, but Francis is obviously better than Nash at scoring.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would take Nash over Francis in a heartbeat. He is sooo much smarter. He is not the athlete Francis is, BUT the "head" rules.

18. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Sure, except for the 6.5 boards, 5.5 assists, 1.6 steals from McGrady and 6.9 boards, 5.9 assists, 2.2 steals from Bryant, all they can do is score 30 PPG.

19. Dani

Dani Member

With Tomjanovich , not with Vun Gundy.
    The Francis' stats will be better in all ( include assists) than Nash's stats this year. 22pts 7 reb. 8 ass. 2 ste.

20. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

I think with van gundy on board Francis' assissts will be lower since the offense will be run primarily through Yao.

And Mike Bibby is an example of not having a high NBA IQ for a pg can still help a team succeed. As long as we develop a good passing game, Francis will be recognized as a true star.